or
Create an account

or

Thread Help me choose an interface!

• 8 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 4 followers
1 Help me choose an interface!
I'm looking for something with low latency, MIDI capability, good preamps and mix control. My budget is under 200EUR and I'm choosing between the 2i4, saffire pro 14, apogee duet, tc electronic impact twin, Edirol UA-25EX (some of these are normally above 200EUR but I'm probably going to purchase second-hand).

Which would you choose and why?
If you're on a low budget, the Steinberg UR22 will get you IMO better preamps than the 2i2/2i4.

If we're talking pure quality, the preamps and overall build quality of the Apogee duet is unbeatable (compared to the others in that list), provided that it has all the functionalities your'e after
The thing is: " what would you need "
Do you need just a stereo in, do you like to mix / record.
The purpose of the interface makes you choose one.

I guess i whould also go for the apogee.
The 2i2 2i4 opamps are not bad, but there is alwys better.... But with a bigger prize tag.

I must say i have no experience in using apogee interfaces but my colleague and close friend does. And he is very happy with it

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

Quote from angelie:
The thing is: " what would you need "
Do you need just a stereo in, do you like to mix / record.
The purpose of the interface makes you choose one.

I guess i whould also go for the apogee.
The 2i2 2i4 opamps are not bad, but there is alwys better.... But with a bigger prize tag.

I must say i have no experience in using apogee interfaces but my colleague and close friend does. And he is very happy with it

I'm looking for an interface to record quality tracks without any crackle/pop/latency, with good enough pre-amps to not have to buy another one if I use an sm57 or sm7b, for example.

I'm a bit hesitant to take the Apogee just because it seems quite limiting regarding the level of inputs. Plus, I don't like using breakout cables. I'd never heard about the TC Electronic Impact Twin before starting my research, but I can get a great price on one, and it reminds me of a downgraded version of my friend's UA Apollo Twin Duo (particularly with it's in-depth, console-like layout where you can add EQ/reverb/compression to tracks outside of your DAW to further minimize likelihood of latency).

I think since I can get the Impact Twin brand new for $225/180EUR, or used for 150EUR, when it normally costs upwards of $500, it might be the way to go. But any additional advice or optional choices would be nice

Again, I want to improve on my mixing ability, the quality of my source tracks, I want to have the option for MIDI (which 2i2 doesn't have) and I'd like mixing control. Most importantly I want great mic pres and I want an interface that won't need to be upgraded for several years.

Any advice on interfaces that fit this description, I'd love to hear of other options. But it's my understanding that the Impact Twin and Apogee have the best mic pres of what I've seen so far, which makes me hesitate to get a Presonus Audiobox or 2i4...
Mmmm that is a lot for the amout of cash you like to spend.

What about the NI komplete 6
It has 2 mic preamps
Impedance swith for instruments
A midi in/out, spdif in/out
96 kHz sample rate.

And cost here around 229 euros

For a total of 6 inputs and is an usb module

Thanks for the advice. Actually I was thinking of the NI Komplete 6, but I then found a great deal for the TC Electronic Active Twin for 180EUR. It's normally 300EUR so brand new for 180EUR, given the mic pres and other functionalities, seemed like too good of a price to pass up.

Time will tell, I'm still waiting to receive the product. I can also get it for 130EUR used (in great quality) and I'm debating getting it used and cancelling my order, but regardless, it seems like too powerful of an interface for under 200EUR to pass up :)

I appreciate the help though, angelie. What interface do you use? I've seen you post often on Audiofanzine, what's your studio setup?
Hey,

I have several interfaces. I work with the m-audio delta 1010, focusrite scarlett 18i20 combined with the octopte dynamic via lightpipe so itgives me 16 analog mic inputs and 18 analog outputs.

We also have the presonus mr32ai rack for trail and testing.
If you look in my profile i have listed my equipment

Quote from angelie:
Hey,

I have several interfaces. I work with the m-audio delta 1010, focusrite scarlett 18i20 combined with the octopte dynamic via lightpipe so itgives me 16 analog mic inputs and 18 analog outputs.

We also have the presonus mr32ai rack for trail and testing.
If you look in my profile i have listed my equipment

I just took a look at your gear list. Very cool. Also noticed you have an NTa1 and NT2 I believe. What are your thoughts? I was considering an NTa1 then read that it might be too bright for someone with similar vocals as myself...
The mics have a real rode sound and yes they might be on the bright side due a little lift ( 6dB) in the high frequency range.

We work with the older NT1 and use them often for choirs and orchestras in the so called Dekka Tree aray. When using the NT1 in that setup we love that sound.

To be honest, i have no idea how the NT1A sounds. Perhaps they change the characteristics but i realy don't care about that as long they sound good :)

[ Post last edited on 11/10/2014 at 10:00:02 ]