Create an account

or

Thread May 7, 2016 editorial: comments

• 4 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 4 followers
1 May 7, 2016 editorial: comments

The Music Biz in a Nutshell

One of our stories this week was my interview with producer/engineer/musician Greg Wells. In it he said something that I thought succinctly summed up the music business: “There are two different types of music...there's entertainment, and there's art. And there are always points in between.”

That may seem obvious, but I think it’s a useful framework for viewing the industry.

The real artists are the trailblazers, the ones that create something truly original, the ones that are driven by their own creative visions. Then there are those that follow behind, copying the trailblazers in the hopes of profiting from it. A lot of what they produce ends up being soulless drivel, because it’s not being made from the heart.

Of course, every musician is influenced by those who came before, it’s impossible not to be. The difference is that the real artists will take an existing style and creatively transform it in some way. Sadly, for the most part, we see the pattern repeat over and over where one artist breaks out thanks to an original sound, and is then followed by a host of copycats, trying to cash in.

I remember in the early 2000’s, after Pearl Jam had become really big, all of a sudden, bands started popping up all over the place with singers who sounded just like Eddie Vedder. Don’t get me wrong, I like Vedder’s voice, and I think he had a unique sound. But it was uncanny how many bands that followed had vocalists who sounded similar (Creed is a good example, or should I say a "bad" example). After a while, enough! Get your own sound!

The music business has always been like this, but one thing has changed — finding the true artists has become much easier, thanks to the web. While there’s no doubt that the internet has done massive damage to the music industry, it does give us unprecedented access to a huge range of artists and styles. Because of that, the gatekeeping role of the record labels and radio stations has been significantly reduced. Halleluja for that.

The underground is now more above ground and much easier for people to access so real artists and are not as hard to find now. Really like this article and Greg Wells quote.
Quote:
Really like this article and Greg Wells quote.

Thanks!:bravo:
A quote from your article states that the internet has done "Vast harm"
to the music industry. There are certain negatives; however, there is a single
factor that has helped in ridding the music industry of the most insidious
controlling factor. That is distribution arm. If it is a fact that the industry
has suffered vast harm, why is it bigger now than it has ever been.Art will
out, especially when the exposure is there.
Quote from Mike:

The music business has always been like this, but one thing has changed — finding the true artists has become much easier, thanks to the web. While there’s no doubt that the internet has done massive damage to the music industry, it does give us unprecedented access to a huge range of artists and styles. Because of that, the gatekeeping role of the record labels and radio stations has been significantly reduced. Halleluja for that.

I think this is a two-edged sword. Whilst access to everything is easier, I think it's now HARDER to find true artists. Because it's now like trying to find a needle in a haystack. At least those old gatekeepers sorted some of the wheat from the chaff and arguably made it a high bar before anyone even got heard.

I can't think of a recent new great artist or band... maybe it's my age, but where's the new Nirvana or Radiohead?