Create an account

or

Thread July 1, 2017 editorial: comments

• 7 replies
  • 7 participants
  • 6 followers
1 July 1, 2017 editorial: comments

Cue the Backing Tracks

Recently, a colleague sent me a link to a video for a computer-based system for touring bands called Playback Control. It syncs your backing tracks, lighting, effects and more to your onstage performance, and provides redundancy to prevent failures. Impressive as it is, the whole idea of backing tracks leaves me cold. Call me old-fashioned, but to me, it's not the same if a band has to pad out its live sound with recorded tracks. 

Playback Control is a high-end professional system, so presumably the acts that use it are quite established. This begs the question, why can't they arrange and play their music onstage without relying so much on recorded tracks?

If there are instruments that are crucial, bring musicians to play them. If that's not feasible, use slightly stripped-down live arrangements. It will probably sound great, and will give the audience something a little different than just a regurgitation of the album. 

I don't want to go overboard here. If you want to trigger some loops in Ableton Live, I have no problem with that. But if a significant amount of what the audience is hearing is coming from recorded tracks, you're straddling the line between live performance and Karaoke.

In the video for Playback Control, there's a clip of some guy saying, "Now you can have a string section, without actually having to pay a 30-piece string section to come out with you." Hrumph. Yes, I know, most tours wouldn't have the budget to hire a 30-piece string section night in and night out, so it's not like this is going to take away a lot of jobs. Still, it bothers me to see them use the replacement of live musicians with recordings as a selling point. 

On Broadway — one of the of the few places where union musicians still hold some sway — the producers have constantly tried to shrink the size of the orchestras and use as much recorded music as possible. The musicians union has fought against it, but it's a never-ending battle. What those bottom-line-focused producers don't seem to get is that there's something about hearing live musicians playing the score for a musical that makes it much more special than if the actors are just singing along to recordings.

As far as I'm concerned, the same is true for concerts. Organic, live-played music is just more compelling.

So what do you think? Am I being a Luddite? I'm curious for your perspective. 

Before I sign off, I wanted to recommend that you check out my interview with Garbage's long-time engineer Billy Bush, somebody who is definitely NOT a Luddite. He talks at length about working with Butch Vig in the studio, including how the drums were miked and the rhythm guitars EQed and a lot more. I think you'll find it a fun and interesting read. 

Back at you in a month.

You're spot on. At some point it just becomes glorified karaoke. And now with live auto-tune you don't even have to be able to sing. We've come a long way, baby.
Couldn't agree more. I'd always rather stuff be actually performed; otherwise how are we different from a karaoke machine?

As a listener I'd always prefer to see a simplified version of the song if the full album version just can't be done live.
We went to a performance of 'The Lion King' in Perth, Western Australia. It's a small city, as well as being the most remote city in the world.
The music was live - there were musicians playing hand drums and percussion in the wings of the upper stalls and it was magic!
I agree with what you say about the magic of a living breathing musical performance. Thank you for the article.
Some years back, a few friend of mine started a band, here in Ireland, playing Irish ballads and rebel songs, jigs, reels etc. There was 7 of us. We were busy playing 4 or 5 gigs a week, and doing really well.Over the years, as people left the band, and others joined, to keep my job i switched from playing bass, to banjo, to guitar. As the economic climate changed, the numbers became smaller. I was luck enough to get a few years more out of it with just the two of us. Me making backing tracks,and playing guitar, with a guitarist/singer. I became comfortable with it too. It was a job after all. I was getting out, meeting people and getting paid. These days the guy who started the band is playing alone. The pubs and clubs don`t want to pay two people. Anyways, I was never that happy with it as the tempo was locked on the backing tracks, and communicating with an audience was really impossible. I believe that the audience and the vibes from them should inform the rhythm and tempo of the musicians.

When finally I joined a new band, after finishing up with what became a karaoke session, I quickly realized I could not play as well as I could before, as I became too comfortable with backing tracks. I genuinely had to go back to playing months/years of hours on end practicing in my bedroom like as did as a teenager. I would just like to share that with musicians who are doing similar gigs. If you enjoy it, and the audience enjoys it, thats ok! but I would strongly advise not to get too cosy with it. Make sure to have a side hobby band where you can just jam and play with with other musicians. and don`t forget to COMMUNICATE with other musicians instead of having everything dictated by backing tracks. I learned this from experience, and I hope if anybody is in the same position as i was, will listen to my advice. Its true, and easy to get lazy!! By the way I am really enjoying the mix and mastering classes on this site. I don`t make backing tracks anymore (haha) but they really help making my own personal recording sound better across different platforms, which I always struggle with. Thanks for all the help!
Hi Mike,

I do agree with you. Having tracks pre-recorded and played played back is not a true "Live" performance.
Watch, as technology grows there will be virtual concerts. No more live experiences. People will pay their
enormous amounts of money, put on the VR goggles and watch away. Meanwhile the "band" will be in some
hi-tech studio with it's own VR effects. Think of it, On Tour, will just a rebroadcast on another date.
It will eliminate the left over garbage at the stadium or concert hall, no riots, no Cops, no one shooting
at someone or everyone.

Who knows, maybe we will all be plugged in, like the Matrix, and enjoy(?) life through VR.

Just some thoughts.
Like virtually everyone else, I really hate this new form of 'live' performances. I would prefer an artist print on their tickets that some music may be recorded and not live. If I knew that going into the show, I'd be bothered less.

Seems to me that the more technology we use, the further we get from real music. Would rather listen to an average live performance than a huge recorded one.

David Campbell

Inside Sales

Galaxy Audio

1-800-369-7768 ext.111

www.galaxyaudio.com

Also, keep in mind that if some fans are paying top dollar for concert tickets they "SHOULD" get a live show.