or
Create an account

or

Thread April 19, 2014 editorial: comments

• 5 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 4 followers
1 April 19, 2014 editorial: comments

If you're shopping for a DAW, there have never been more choices. From long-established applications like Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Sonar, Live, Digital Performer, Cubase, FL Studio and Reason to more recent titles like Reaper, Studio One, Mixcraft, Tracktion, and now the latest entry, Bitwig.

What’s more, many of these titles come in different versions, offering more or less features depending on the price.

You’re limited somewhat by the type of computer you use, but whether you're on Mac or PC, you have a cornucopia of choices and they’ve gotten a lot less expensive. Logic Pro, for example, has come down in price more than 50% since 2011.

Many DAWs have something unique to offer. Some examples are Live's audio-to-MIDI capabilities, Digital Performer's film-scoring tools, Logic Pro's massive loop collection, Pro Tools ubiquity in the pro audio world, and Reason's expandability via its Rack Extensions. Still, if you’re mainly recording and editing audio and MIDI, they all can get the job done for you.

Sometimes, the one you choose comes down to chance — which brand had a great special price when you were shopping, or which one your buddy owned and turned you on to. But in order for you to become a loyal customer, your DAW must appeal to you in terms of its workflow, vibe and look and feel — especially when you consider the endless hours you’ll be staring at its user interface,

Overall, the DAW market has never offered more value, features and choices, so there’s no reason, if you look around enough, not to find one that fits your recording needs, workflow style, personality and price point. 

Which DAW do you use and why? Feel free to post a comment at the link below, and let us know.

Thanks!

Mike Levine

I'm in music school so I use Pro Tools by default. I do like some of the Logic Pro features and how familiar it feels to Pro Tools. I also use the Native Instruments Maschine software with my Maschine Studio. I know most people don't consider this to be a DAW but it does have a lot of DAW features and capabilities.
Wow, sounds like a cool program you're in. Good point about Maschine.
Have any of you guys ever used Reaper? I don't know much about it except that it's open source and apparently very powerful, yet I never hear it mentioned on Audiofanzine as a worthy competitor to Pro Tools, Ableton or Cubase and I'm curious to hear why?
We certainly don't have any bias here against Reaper. I haven't had an opportunity to check it out personally, but from reading about it and talking to people whose opinions I trust, I hear it's an excellent DAW that offers a lot of power for a very low price. You can bet when Reaper releases version 5 (not sure when that's going to be, but they're at 4.62 now), we will definitely give it coverage.

@TeleFunk, there is a large community of Reaper users on Audiofanzine, unfortunately you will have to speak French to participate in their forums threads. We also post news every time Cockos releases a major update for the DAW, you can check them here. And rest assured that we are also eagerly-waiting for v5  bravo

[ Post last edited on 06/24/2014 at 16:15:03 ]