Create an account

or

Thread August 2, 2014 editorial: comments

• 4 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 August 2, 2014 editorial: comments

Tweet, Tweet

Do I care what’s trending on Twitter? Not in the slightest. Am I interested when a Facebook friend posts about what they just ate for dinner? Nope. It seems like narcissistic drivel to me. 

But that said, as a musician, I know that social media is very important.  It’s a big part of marketing and promoting yourself.  Whether you’re a band posting tour photos on Instagram, or the composer tweeting to your peers about the scoring job you just finished, or a singer posting gig information to your Facebook page, you’ve absolutely got to know how to get around on social media if you want to stay competitive.

But unless you’re a millennial — who seem to know how to use social media instinctively— it requires some time and effort to learn how to use it effectively (and not make an idiot of yourself during the learning process). For those of us who’ve been around for a while— who remember when the word “tweet” was used strictly in reference to birds, it’s a strange new world, but one we all need to master, or at least become comfortable in.

So I’m curious, how many social media platforms are you on? Are you promoting your music career on Facebook, Twitter, Bandcamp? Do you have a sense for what works online and what doesn’t? Let me know what you think. Post a comment — and it doesn’t have to be limited to 140 characters. Now excuse me while I go and unfriend someone who just posted an album of photos of his dog’s birthday party.

Yes couldn't care less about social media especially when I get invites to gigs in USA, Germany or India or where ever when I am in London. I am not rich enough to pop on a plane (not even mine!!!) and fly off to hear someone's one night only gig!!
Get real. Anyway gig promotion or album release is the job of the promoter, impresario or management. The job of the musician is music and not some kind of jack of all trades.
Ah, the Social Media Dance. I feel I have stepped on some toes on FB (mostly unknowingly), and had mine stomped on (mostly knowingly). Perhaps you can tell, I am not a fan (and not of the millenial genre). I exit, and re-enter the Dance frequently. I try to stay away, but want to be "sociable". I dance again. Something seems missing, or is it too much...drivel and narcissism? Or just plain lack of creativity, and/or a gathering place for the bored or boring? I do not know. It is kind of fascinating. Yet I hesitate putting my music on it. I don't want to be one of the boring, or pound the chest of my ego. There's enough of that. Yet maybe that is it. There is NOT enough REAL pounding, energy, substance, it seems to me. I stand, and Dance, in the middle. Mostly alone.

[ Post last edited on 08/03/2014 at 17:30:57 ]

Quote:
Yes couldn't care less about social media especially when I get invites to gigs in USA, Germany or India or where ever when I am in London. I am not rich enough to pop on a plane (not even mine!!!) and fly off to hear someone's one night only gig!!
Get real. Anyway gig promotion or album release is the job of the promoter, impresario or management. The job of the musician is music and not some kind of jack of all trades.

Hi Clem,
Thanks for your perspective on this. I agree with you that most musicians don't want to have to spend a lot of time posting and promoting, and perhaps artists with labels and management can leave some of it to others to do. But even though most of us musicians would love to just do music, I don't see that as being the case anymore. If you've been able to get your career going in the direction you want without having to do your own social media promotion, more power to you! That's great. I'm not sure how different things are in the U.K., but here in the states, a social media presence is essential for virtually all artists.
Quote:
I don't want to be one of the boring, or pound the chest of my ego.

Hi jpmcneil,
I agree with your sentiments. When you see the stuff that some people post, it can be pretty annoying. That said, using Facebook to alert fans about your gigs makes it pretty easy.