Create an account

or

Thread January 3, 2015 editorial: comments

• 10 replies
  • 7 participants
  • 7 followers
1 January 3, 2015 editorial: comments

New Year’s Resolutions for Your Studio

The holiday season is over, and we’ve got three months of winter to look forward to. If you’re in a cold-weather area like me, that’s not a particularly happy prospect, although it does provide more indoor time, which can be put to good use in the studio.

Which brings me to the main theme of this week’s editorial — making New Year’s resolutions for improving your studio and your production techniques. There's always room to get better, so why not take this opportunity to think about the steps you could take to enhance your own studio life in the coming year.

I'll get the ball rolling by giving you my list:

• I will completely redo my studio wiring so that everything is neatly laid out and no longer looks like spaghetti.
  • I will complete those projects I’ve been working on for months but unable to declare as “finished.”
  • I will be more patient with microphone placement, and try to always find the sweet spot before tracking.
  • I will learn more key commands in my DAW in order to work faster.
  • I will update to the latest versions of all my software, except possibly my operating system.
  • I will be more systematic in the way I approach mixing.
  • I will sell all the gear that I don’t use anymore to raise money for new stuff.
  • I will finally get a comfortable studio chair.
  • I will take a break every hour or so when working in the studio, and take a walk or do some brief exercises or stretches so that my body doesn’t turn to jelly from constantly sitting.

Okay, so now that I’ve told you my resolutions, what are yours? If you'd like to share them with the rest of the Audiofanzine community, please post them as a response to this editorial. Who knows, your list might help others come up with their own studio resolutions.

Have a great week,

Mike Levine

U.S. Editor, Audiofanzine

I will get rid of the 9 different DAWs I have on my computer, learn to fully use the one I did my first album on (Reaper), and write more and better songs!

[ Post last edited on 01/03/2015 at 10:13:38 ]

THANKS for the resolutions! Just made me realize I have to accomplish most of the same you have mentioned, especially "complete those projects I’ve been working on for months"

Good luck for 2015
Great Resolutions. Will you be letting us know from time to time how they are progressing? :-)

[ Post last edited on 01/03/2015 at 10:41:55 ]

Quote:
complete those projects I’ve been working on for months

In my case, the word "months" doesn't even fit for most of my pending projects... :((( :oops:

Nevermind, let's come up with another idea then: "I will not be GASing anymo"... Damn, no, that already was last year's resolution. Which I DID keep, by the way... for almost a month and a half, which was a good start, wasn't it? (Plus, it wasn't really my fault: this original SansAmp stompbox appeared out of nowhere in the classified, couldn't resist really, shame on her, not me). Hem, OK, so let's say this year is a blank one resolution-wise. No other choice really: my only other idea was "I will not procrastinate", but we'll all agree this one will fit next year much better, right?... :ange:
Quote from robertm2000:
I will get rid of the 9 different DAWs I have on my computer, learn to fully use the one I did my first album on (Reaper), and write more and better songs!

Woow you had 9 different types of DAW software ? That is a lot.

I think i will try to get me a decent audio editor for my mac. I think it will be wavelab but perhaps you all know a better one :)

And a happy new year to all of you.
With lots of love and music

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

Quote:

I hear you on the "9 different DAWs" thing. Settling on one as your primary DAW is definitely a good idea. Good luck!
Quote:
In my case, the word "months" doesn't even fit for most of my pending projects..

It's definitely easy to keep putting off finishing a project, especially in the mixing phase, since its so simple to recall it in your DAW. Back when most people were mixing on analog mixers, one was forced to finish a mix relatively quickly, because you couldn't use your mixer for anything else until you did. What's more, trying to recall a mix from a hardware mixer was tedious and not particularly accurate. That said, the downside of having total recall in a DAW — convenient as it is — is that it enables perfectionism, and causes you to want to revise and revise some more, especially when working on your own projects where there are no real deadlines. One way to deal with that is to give yourself arbitrary deadlines for your projects, and promise yourself you'll finish them according to the schedule you set up. It's easier said than done, but at least provides some structure to the project and incentive to finish. Telling your friends that you're about to finish a song will also give you a little more pressure to actually complete it.

[ Post last edited on 01/04/2015 at 18:31:35 ]

Quote from Mike:
Quote:
I will be more patient with microphone placement, and try to always find the sweet spot before tracking.
I will learn more key commands in my DAW in order to work faster.

This is EXACTLY what I need to do. But as I have a small home studio and am still a relative rookie, I find it more cumbersome than if I was tracking a singer where I can ask them to move around while I track. Instead, I have to set up my home studio, sing in different positions, come back, listen, move around the mic in different angles, redo them, etc....I mean, I feel like I'm wasting so much time.

Do any of you have tips on how to efficiently position your mic and find the sweet spot when working entirely on your own?
Quote:
Great Resolutions. Will you be letting us know from time to time how they are progressing?

Thanks. I am actually thinking about writing a story on reorganizing cables in the studio (which was one of my resolutions) and using my studio as a before-and-after example.

[ Post last edited on 01/05/2015 at 05:38:43 ]