or
Create an account

or

Thread January 10, 2015 editorial: comments

• 15 replies
  • 12 participants
  • 12 followers
1 January 10, 2015 editorial: comments

Will We Soon Be Renting Our Music Software?

A number of years ago, I heard several tech futurists predict that software ownership would eventually be replaced by a rental model. What's more, they said, software applications wouldn’t be stored locally on computers at all, people would access them online through browsers. Although we're not at that point yet, the advent of “the cloud” has massively altered the way software is distributed, and more changes are already occurring.

Buying software used to entail getting a physical, boxed product containing a disk (or disks) with the application on it, but today, most purchases are delivered via download. And now we’re moving to the next phase, software offered by subscription. Such giants as Adobe and Microsoft have changed over to the subscription model, and we’re inching closer to it in the music software realm, as well.

Here are some examples: Software developer, Audionamix — the maker of ADX TRAX and ADX TRACKS PRO applications for separating the vocal and instrument portions of a stereo mix — now offers customers the choice of a traditional software purchase or a monthly subscription.

Avid, the maker of Pro Tools, recently announced its “support plan” for Pro Tools 11. For $199 annually, in addition to the cost of the software itself, users will get extra benefits such as regular feature upgrades, access to more instruments and processor plug-ins, and unlimited support. Those who don’t join the plan won’t have access to, or will have to pay a la carte for these features and benefits. While this isn’t technically a subscription model, it’s close.

Waves has had the “Waves Update Plan” in place for a while now. It entails paying an annual fee, based on how many plug-ins you own, and in return you receive the latest versions of Waves’ software, and you get extra plug-ins along the way.

I should note that the Avid and Waves support plans aren’t technically subscriptions. In a pure subscription model, your monthly payments renew your license, and if you stopped paying, your access to the software would be turned off.

Right now we’re just seeing nibbles around the edges of the music software world, but if the software industry as a whole moves full bore into the subscription model, there’s little doubt that it will be adopted by many of the developers in the music space. 

Change is always difficult, and I must admit that I initially didn’t like the idea of renting my software. Although I still have some trepidations, my current experience with a software subscription has softened my view somewhat. I needed Adobe Photoshop for some of my work, and in order to get a current version, I had no choice but to use Adobe’s subscription plan. Fortunately, the company offers a separate Photoshop/Lightroom subscription for $9.99 a month, so I’m not plunking down $49.95 monthly for the entire Creative Cloud Suite just to get one application. So far, I haven’t noticed much difference in the user experience, and the latest upgrades can be quickly accessed and installed through an icon on my menu bar.

So get ready, we’re likely to see more of this model creeping into the music software field in the near future, whether we like it or not.

Would you object if you had to get your music software via subscription? Let’s discuss it. 

Have a great week.

Mike Levine

U.S. Editor, Audiofanzine

Show first post
At that point I would start to use some older and/or cracked versions...

It appears I've hit a nerve with this subject. Thanks to all who've responded so far your feedback about this. Clearly, the music software industry has a lot of work to do on the PR side of things if they're going to convince users that a software subscription is a fair deal. I do think it's possible that it could be, if structured correctly. We'll have to see what happens.

Quote:

If you want to use older versions, that's totally fine. But I have to take issue with the idea of using cracked software. Doing so is really counterproductive in the long run, as it reduces innovation and hurts the bottom line of the software developers, many of whom are small operations. It forces them to spend more of their resources on onerous copy protection instead of on improving their applications. What's more, cracked software is often embedded with malware, so you really don't want to go there. And, of course, no matter how you rationalize it, using cracked software is a form of theft.

That does not mean that I excuse companies who provide bad products and/or services to their customers, I don't. However, the way to get back at them is to vote with your feet and switch to a brand that offers you a better experience.
I agree with most of what has been said. I like the of a rental fee if it evens out the cost after a MINIMUM of one year, preferably 2 years, and if there's a GUARANTEE of no nickel-and-diming or forced paid updates.

I also agree about cracked software being bad, with the caveat that manufacturer's should charge based on value added and not influence or power imposed or hidden fees or unnecessary paid updates, etc.

In a utopia, all products would be paid for, and all updates would be free (unless the plugin/software is COMPLETELY redesigned). But so long as manufacturers think of customers as cash cows with no price ceiling, piracy will continue to be encouraged. My point, in short: it's a 2 way street, and we should meet somewhere in the middle.

Now, somewhat along those lines, I've always wished that there was some sort of secondhand market for 'used' plug-ins. You know, somewhere where we can sell used/outdated plugins at a discounted rate, so we don't feel forced to upgrade, and the switching costs of doing so would decrease

Quote from: Mike Levine

Quote:

If you want to use older versions, that's totally fine. But I have to take issue with the idea of using cracked software. Doing so is really counterproductive in the long run, as it reduces innovation and hurts the bottom line of the software developers, many of whom are small operations. It forces them to spend more of their resources on onerous copy protection instead of on improving their applications. What's more, cracked software is often embedded with malware, so you really don't want to go there. And, of course, no matter how you rationalize it, using cracked software is a form of theft.

That does not mean that I excuse companies who provide bad products and/or services to their customers, I don't. However, the way to get back at them is to vote with your feet and switch to a brand that offers you a better experience.

Yes, agree. Force people to rent a software is also an unethical thing in my opinion.

The solution probably would be if they let the people choose to rent or buy softwares.

Quote:
Force people to rent a software is also an unethical thing in my opinion.

I don't think I'd go as far as calling it unethical. It's certainly unfortunate that so many software companies are going in that direction. Fortunately, it's coming more slowly to the music software world than other areas. Outside of music, you have companies like Microsoft and Adobe who only offer subscriptions for their latest software. At least Avid still lets you buy Pro Tools, although they do charge that annual "upgrade fee," if you want access to new versions when they come out. As mentioned, the best way to protest software subscriptions is to stop using that company's software and switch to a competitor who sells its software rather than renting it.