Create an account

or

Thread March 7, 2015 editorial: comments

• 3 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 March 7, 2015 editorial: comments

Is Your Studio Killing You?

The news of late has been filled with stories about the danger of too much sitting. Apparently, sitting is the new smoking. For those of us who spend a lot of time in our studios, that not comforting news. It’s not like it’s that surprising. I’ve always figured that being too sedentary isn’t a great idea, but I’m shocked to find out just how unhealthy it actually is.

So what’s the answer? One solution is to create a standing workspace, where your computer monitor, keyboard and mouse are elevated, so you can work at them while standing. If you’re willing to spend the bucks there are desks available that adjust between sitting and standing orientations. Or you can improvise like I did: I have a setup made with a fat old dictionary and a cardboard box that I put my laptop on. It’s not elegant, but it’s effective, and easy to setup and take down.

Taking frequent breaks to get up, walk around, stretch or do some light exercising can help mitigate the ill-effects of chair time. With a little bit of Google searching, you can find videos and diagrams for many such exercises.

The trick is to get into a routine, where you aren’t just glued to your chair all day and night. There are timing applications you can download that will remind you when it’s time for a break. It’s easy to lose track of time, especially when mixing — you’re so focused on what you’re doing that time just flies by. I use an app called Vitamin-R, which lets me structure my work time with regular breaks, and doesn’t let me forget — it’s annoyingly persistent, but effective.

I’m certainly not trying to be a downer, but I thought this was in important subject to discuss. Hopefully we can all find ways to make our studio lifestyles less unhealthy. Towards that end, does anyone know of an app that will automatically lock my refrigerator?

What do you do, if anything, to avoid being too sedentary when you’re in your studio? I’d love to hear some innovative ideas.

Have a great week...and don’t sit too much!

Mike Levine
U.S. Editor
Audiofanzine

There's a reason why almost every renowned audio engineer that I've seen looks like a tub 'o lard.

I don't think a standing studio is the answer. It's important to be as comfortable as possible while in the studio. What matters most i regular breaks for exercise and eating healthy. Even walking 30min-1hour is not at all strenuous, yet provides drastic improvement in one's health.

Ever since moving to the UK from Atlanta, I've walked far more and driven far less, while doing almost no other changes to my diet or routine, and that alone has helped me lose weight dramatically while feeling healthier in general, without getting in the way of my studio time :)
Since I work from home as an engineer during the week and work as a musician during the weekend, I had found constant sitting and unhealthy living a real problem.

But a few years ago, I started gardening which changed my life for the better. Now, in order to keep my plants alive, I must check on them often. This forces me to get away from my monitor and go outside. And an added bonus is when I can harvest great fruits and vegetables which in turn means I eat a bit healthier.
Quote:
I've walked far more and driven far less, while doing almost no other changes to my diet or routine, and that alone has helped me lose weight dramatically while feeling healthier in general, without getting in the way of my studio time

Awesome.
Quote:
This forces me to get away from my monitor and go outside. And an added bonus is when I can harvest great fruits and vegetables which in turn means I eat a bit healthier.

Excellent.
Way to go, guys!