or
Create an account

or

Thread Just got myself a Behringer MDX2600 and looking for the right settings

• 4 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 Just got myself a Behringer MDX2600 and looking for the right settings
hello there and thank you for your help :)

some background information:
im not looking to produce music or anything with this. i am an counterstrike semi professional player and i lately have trouble with tinnitus. so in the game it is very important to hear the shallowest sounds. the problem with this is that you have to put up the volume to hear those and get deafening gun sounds as a result.

sadly i am not experienced at all with stuff like an compressor and therefore am looking for your help

http://origin.behringer.com/EN/Products/MDX2600.aspx
this is the compressor that i bought but i just dont know how to set it up properly. i want all loud sounds reduced as hard as possible and the quiet sounds pushed equally (very quiet steps become normal steps and normal steps become loud steps - so that i still can read the distance out of the footstep volume)

thank you very much for your time and help
Marvin :aime:
Hi Marvin,

A properly used compressor should help a bit with increasing the volume of quiet sounds like footsteps. However, I doubt it would help much regarding where the sounds are coming from, which I'd imagine is also important.

For this, I'd recommend getting quality headphones (if you don't already have a pair). Personally, I love the AKG K702's. From a musical standpoint, they really do a great job in showing where each instrument is relative to the stereo field, as well as how loudly they're playing.

There are some instances with certain songs I've listened to my whole life before getting the K702s, where after listening with the cans, I discover new instruments that I never heard before! So it might help distinguish where footsteps are coming from and how far they are.

If K702s are too hefty of an investment (which would be understandable), I'd recommend the Audio-Technica M40x or M50x. The M40x's usually around $99 new, but during black friday they were available for around $65, so maybe you can find them on sale with the holidays coming up.

Also, our french readers provided their favorite studio headphones under $150, so take a look at the list (you don't need to speak french) and look for the best deal in any of these headphones and you likely won't be disappointed

Anyway, let us know how that compressor does, and good luck getting the bad guys! :)

[ Post last edited on 12/14/2015 at 03:45:48 ]

Hello CaliMoose and thank you for your response :)

i am currently owning a pair of sennheiser HD 598 which i consider to be pretty good. i am throwing an eye on the akg 701 for at least 4 years now but kinda dont want to buy them as long as my sennheiser still work.

i dont mind getting a new pair of headphones if you would think that the AKG could show an improvement compared to the HD 598. i ordered a bayerdynamic 770 and 990 aswell with some "gaming" headsets (G35 - hyper x cloud 2) but the gaming headsets sounded like crap and couldnt show an improvement in footstep volume. the bayerdynamic had good sound but lacked in footstep volume compared to the sennheiser so i sent them back all together.

i dont have problems with where the sounds are coming from as long as i can hear them. i expect the compressor to not fasify this or am i wrong?

another question: can i expect a latency due to the compressor or is it below lets say 5ms? what can i expect and is there a setting to improve latency if so? same for a microphone. if i keep the compressor im thinking about buying a mic due to the benefits of the compressor. can i expect a greater delay compared to my USB microphone? (any cheap recommendations are welcome aswell)

again thank you so much for your help i really appreciate it

Marvin

edit: spelling

[ Post last edited on 12/14/2015 at 06:21:27 ]

If you can properly insert the compressor on your game sound signal, then it should help with the footstep issue. Regarding latency issues, I have no idea if it'll help. Only one way to find out!
is there a way to properly measure the volume of my game so that i can adjust my threshhold onto my footsteps accordingly? any software or something like that?

i also have the feeling that my gamesounds are not loud enough to trigger the compressor or am i just too stupid to set it up?

thank you

[ Post last edited on 12/15/2015 at 09:34:29 ]