or
Create an account

or

Thread Focusrite Scarlet 18i8 hiss noise

• 3 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Focusrite Scarlet 18i8 hiss noise
Hi all. When I open the master out of my unit all the way I hear some hiss. Is that normal? I unplugged everything and put the signal from the Focusrite via jack-cable into an older H+K guitar amp. There the noise was stronger than on the bass amp or the Schertler Unico. However, it was still apparent. Same thing on a roland cube and a Polytone amp.
Cheers
Good morning,

Sorry to hear you're having some problems.
When you mention that you 'open the master outs all the way', do you you simply mean the you have the master volume on the Scarlett turned up fully?
Please also note that the outputs of the Scarlett are line-level balanced outputs, they are not designed to be sent to unbalanced instruments inputs such as those found on your guitar amps. Because the instrument input on these amps are unbalanced, this may cause extra noise (hiss) to be added to your signal.
If you connect your Scarlett to balanced inputs such as those found on studio speaker monitors, using balanced cables (two black bands around each jack plug), does the noise still occur?

Please let us know how you get on.
Simon // Focusrite Technical Support
Thank you for your reply Simon.

Oh dear :oo: the only reason I bought it was to hook it in front of guitar amps in conjunction with Ableton. Is there a solution for this?

Let me cite from my Scarletts user manual which can also be found on the focusright internet site:
"The physical outputs can be connected to amplifiers and speakers, powered monitors, headphones, an audio mixer or any other analogue or digital audio equipment that you wish to use. Although all inputs and outputs on the Scarlett 18i8 are routed directly to and from your DAW for recording and playback, you can configure the routing within your DAW in order to meet your precise needs."

Yes, the master volume is turned up fully and the noise starts around a quarter to full. I don't have TRS cables unfortunately.

Pat

[ Post last edited on 04/04/2016 at 23:35:28 ]

Hi Enzguitar,

Typically unbalanced cables can experience this type of noise. While you currently do not have any cables, will you be able to get (2) TRS cables to test?

TRS cables are fairly inexpensive from sites like Monoprice : http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4795

If you are still having issues, please open a ticket with us here: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new

Best Regards,
David // Focusrite Technical Support