or
Create an account

or

Thread "favorite plugin" list with a twist

• 5 replies
  • 6 participants
  • 7 followers
1 "favorite plugin" list with a twist
I think the most important thing someone can do when learning to mix is use the plugins that come standard with their DAW of choice and truly understand the purpose of each parameter and how to effectively use these plugins. THEN, when you have a good understanding, you can actively search for specific plug-ins that you're willing to pay for to upgrade your library.

I want to know what plugins you specifically searched for and why? I don't want to know about a waves plugin that you love only because you payed for it and learned to love it. Rather, I'd like to hear about plugin suggestions that have worked especially well in specific applications. I.e. a compressor that offered you a unique parameter or warmth to your tracks

Hopefully we'll learn about some cool plugins out there :8)
Personally I've never gone wrong with a Soundtoys plug-in regardless of type or price. I find their analog modeling saturators and built-in wet/dry knobs are an incredibly useful feature. This feature alone improves everything. Even their 1 band filterfrEQ can be made very useful to parallel saturate the best parts of an instrument without any excessive or additional routing.

Decapitator is like seasoning, it makes everything better with a careful and steady hand. But in general, by far my favorite thing about Soundtoys plug-ins is their ability to emphasize anolog emulations. I'd highly recommend any of their plug-ins that you might need
Softube FET Compressor is my most used compressor. I think their emulation sounds much better than waves' version. highly recommend if you want fat, warm compression
I specifically went after the Fab Filter EQ because to my knowledge, it was the only plug-in that could solo a frequency band at the simple push of a button. no regrets.
If you want a truly authentic-sounding piano with beautiful, realistic resonance: Pianoteq

For a synth that adds an unusual, unique character with some specific parameters: Audiodamage Phosphor

Simple but great-sounding synth VST for the newb: Steinberg Neon

An orchestra that, while perhaps not realistic, does a fantastic job of sounding like a movie production effectively and easily: Project Sam Orchestral Essentials

Another great VST synth with a full sound, easily programmable yet doesn't simulate any well-known/legendary analog synths: Synapse Audio Dune

Cheers!
I tested out all of the Waves plugins and made specific notes to see if I really wanted to spend on any of them. In the end, I was particularly impressed by the API 2500 comp (used sparingly on a buss or 2, and used subtly on the master buss, produces great results) and the S1 stereo widener (which I use sparingly i.e. once or twice in a mix, typically on the FX buss as a way to widen reverbs, or if one track needs something a little extra)

I also use the 1973 EQ constantly as my go-to. However, before, I tried countless free plugins and can say that Melda's MEqualizer is particularly impressive (especially considering it's free!)

I've also had audio engineer friends of mine recommend PSP's plugins. I haven't experimented with too many of them, but can say that the NobleQ Ex EQ is a great EQ that I consider one of my most-used EQs for mixing.