or
Create an account

or

Thread Mac mini, 18i20 and logic performwnce problems

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Mac mini, 18i20 and logic performwnce problems
I have a quad core Mac mini with an ssd drive, 16 gb ram, running latest version if Logic Pro x with a focusrite scsrlett 18i20. Before I updated my hard drive to ssd I used to get an overload hard drive error. Now for the most part it runs smoothly but it does get frustrating. If I try to load a plugin while the music is playing, it opens with an exclamation point and I have to stop the music before the change will take place. Also, I have reason to believe that some of my automation changes aren't taking place immediately or plugin parameter changes. So some problems I think I fixed, when I run through the song again, I over or under compensated. I believe it has to do with logic not liking the 18i20 drivers.the CPU monitor never gets above 30%. I have also worked with ableton and never had these problems but I like logic better than ableton. Any idea how to fix this?
Hmm. I'd be curious to hear if the folks from Focusrite have any insight into this.
Quote:
If I try to load a plugin while the music is playing, it opens with an exclamation point and I have to stop the music before the change will take place.

I have noticed that on a lot of DAWs, trying to load a plug-in on while the transport is playing is a recipe for problems. I've had many crashes in Pro Tools when trying to do that. It's definitely safer to stop the transport first, then load the plug-in. Of course, when you're in the middle of mixing and really focused on what you're doing, it's difficult to remember that sometimes.
Hi rtintera,

Sorry to hear that you are having some issues. Maybe I can help out a bit! The issue seems to be more DAW related since you are also having some issues with Automation and plugin parameters. Typically when adding plugins, stoping playback first is a good idea like what was previously posted. If your session is a bit larger, increasing your buffer size may help during playback as well even if you have a good amount a ram like the 16gb you currently do. A good way to test if the Scarlett 18i20 drivers are a factor, is to set the Audio Output Device of your DAW to "Built In-Output" and add a plugin during playback. If the issue persists, then you know it is the DAW. However, if it does not please contact us directly here : https://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/contact and we will be happy to help you! Hope this helps shed some light.