Boss BR-1600CD Digital Recording Studio user reviews
If you are not satisfied by the reviews below, feel free to request a user review for this product
- Overall Opinion
- I've been playing in soul, blues and R&B bands since 1968 (old guy). I still play soul and blues professionally in our state. I also play acoustic blues for recording purposes only, backing other singers. I have played with and backed many well-known names in all three genres.
I paid $995 (after the $100 rebate from Roland). I bought it a week ago. I did a lot of research before replacing my 6 year old Tascam 8 channel unit.
Very sophisiticated pre-amps built in. Excellent drum samples with more than 150 loops that aid in laying down a \"click\" track for multi-track recording that can then be replaced with live drums. Also good for recording the whole band for up to 8 channels at a time.
While I am a tube amp guy all the way (owning 4 of the best tube amps ever made), the COSM amp effects are great for laying down rhythm and bass tracks without having to mic the amps--that and the digital drum sample loops are excellent. The effects are way beyond good and the ability to actually record 16 tracks without going to virtual tracks is something I like. It also has Voice Box pitch correction and harmonizer which I will not use much, but can be handy. Korg makes a good product that is 32 tracks for the same price, but the extras on this unit make it much more efficient for someone like me and the sound quality is absolutely studio quality. XLR inputs with phantom power is also a plus.
Only one thing.. the \"go to zero\" button and the Rewind button should be switched, but that is a very small issue.
so far, so good. But I will only use in my studio and do not plan on travelling with it very often
Great overall recording \"workstation\" that allows a musician (who is not a techie) to master the thing within 2-3 days and concentrate on making music in a very efficient manner. Outstanding sound and high quality additional tools all in one box for $1000.
This review was originally published on http://www.musicgearreview.com
- Overall Opinion
- I've spent 30 some years on the road in music and entertainment. Mainly an acoustic guitarist, and a 12-string specialist. Now in my old age (just turned 50) I still play regularly, but have settled down to running my project studio and publishing company.
I have a well equipped PC-based project studio, but wanted to do some live remote recording of local music groups. The BR-1600 seemed like the best bang for the buck. $1400 at Musiciansfriend.com.
This highly portable box, about the size of a small briefcase, has robust features; way more than I can list here. Including:
8 XLR mic/line inputs, each with trim control.
8 tracks of simultaneous recording.
A large bank of vocal, guitar, bass, and other effects based on the same circuits as Boss\'s excellent stand-along products. E.g., the unit includes the Boss GT-6 guitar effects.
CD burner--you can actually record, mix and master a complete CD all inside the unit, complete with good FX.
My first project was a live recording of a youth music group at a big church. The BR-1600 worked perfectly recording 8 tracks. The backlit LCD display is a bit primitive, but adequate with good-enough VU indicators.
I moved all the tracks to my PC for editing in Sonar. The resulting project has won me raves among my musician friends here in Duluth.
The \"plastic\" feel of the box makes me wonder how will it will travel over time. I keep it in a foam padded suitcase, and a few bumps have done no harm so far.
The controls are fairly arcane. You really need time with the manual even to do the basic recording. I haven\'t attempted to do much with it\'s editing and mastering functions.
The LCD display is very primitive. And there\'s no option for an external display.
Slow response time for loading and saving projects.
Apart from it\'s over-all plasticness, it\'s seems to be made well. It\'s been reliable for me for almost a year.
One thing about Boss, they maintian a long product cycle. That is, their units change slowly and are supported for a long time. So once you have one, you won\'t feel it\'s obsolete over night.
Despite limitations, at the prosumer level the BR-1600 is the best bang for the buck in it\'s class.
This review was originally published on http://www.musicgearreview.com
User reviews in other languages
- Has any dit.Cet opinion will not be that of a specialist in, nor a technician, but that of a nophyte sound longtime musician, and begins to understand certain things, learn from others and give practical advice.
For a first recorder, APRS one month of use, it seems that this would fulfill Completely little training can wait for his or her RPTS models. Coupled with a good computer and good software edition, I think it's enough to make a splash, even if you never replace a professional studio. As it stands, cell remains a great tool to put in a box, before mix, a piece in minutes and do a treatment of quality very quickly.
- Fairly easy to record, and for a Premire approach.
For the party mix, effects and all the edition, in fact, cel is more difficult at first, but cell seems better with practice (after a few uses, so) must be read mode manual, tutorials, spend some time in forum ... I even call the hotline to a question about noon ... but as you progress has ...
Everything is very ergonomic, easily affordable, large buttons, precise, big wheels.
Too bad there is no engine sliders, but ...!
- Everything looks super effective. Effects that I find very powerful and GPs.
Compression really works, even if I beginners, thanks to good advice tutorials AF ...
I will come back may be later, because right now, I learn the technique. I notice that it's really just like what dcrivent didqcticiels on various sound processing or the mixes, found on AF and in various polls.
The possibilities seem endless for when we'll see ...
- Overall Opinion
- I've had it a month. I love its great ease of use. I like a little less on the small screen edition, especially the visual APRS PC, but I think it's a matter of habit.
Acqurir before, I tried a lot of software systems. I think it is an ideal instrument for a small training and a small budget. It can make great stand-alone models or propose mixes of very good standard for mastering. The purchase price, and despite what some tutorials on AF is amortized in a session of Studion. It is available, we work our own pace without time pressure (ie financire), and I think that cel is felt on the quality of the catch and music.
I have no regrets so far not my choice, even if I think dj acqurir later his big brother, I certainly will couple with the BR, to have a video interface for sound processing.
After a few months of use, I regret that the rhythm function is not easier to use (like putting a beginner to beginner, then a "medium such as another, then an end, with possible changes). Everything can be made very specific on fawn, but manually ... this may seem long. But there are very good pace permettantde small boxes save time.
I do not regret my choice yet ... instead
- T say everything on the technique
for more info download the PDF on the site is good.
- All m 'and this seemed trs comprhensible quickly accessible and easy to use the same batterie.seuls some points a little annoying use of such hand each time the phantom power supply or do ... to delete a track once.
- I t trs impressed with the quality of a lot more converters that between the.
The bank is trs important effects for the guitar but I find it somewhat qualitative. only a few are exploitable got for my (too much saturated sounds).
Good overall dynamics when one is on the device or when costs on the good stuff.
To have a song that goes everywhere, including on computer + is complicated.
- Overall Opinion
- This is an excellent multitrack (APRS have started on Korg D8) that perfectly matches my needs:
Raliste drum set and complete a good basis for Rhythmic,
Recording quality is that of a stone instrumentals,
Fast Fashion for ease of shipping (copying, cutting, copying etc.)
Level of storage (40GB to 1GB of D8),
A little regret on set voice recording paratlger me (hard to have a natural song).
Finally, for the price 990euros: performance tool, effective, fast, easy Accs.
- A superb machine!
I made an album itself, a quality amazing.
The richness of the sound is pure.
The XLR inputs allow you to keep the purity of sound throughout the treatment.
64 tracks, it's great! A decision is questionable, it is again without erasing the old one, and it chose. thank you roland!
the effects are amazing ... all the voice processing, mastering that ..
for the guitar, there's nothing to say. I have even been perfectly mimics a guitar with the synth in my bender with his clean play a guitar distortion effect applied (and there is choice!) And the tour is played it is not the Difference ...
The manual is clear, a bit long, one must read, because there are plenty of tricks, but it is a very powerful machine. you can touch up small dcalages with enough precision.
Interresting: the MIDI. start a secquenceur, or even an arranger, and record the track just DSIR. repeat the opration with another track, etc. You will still cal ... ca permetre can treat everything that comes out of a squenceur, and to add effects, track by track, instrument it to improve and make the song more alive, more real.
Comprsseur the mastering is good, it goes right is essential. You can choose DIFFERENT pr-rglages for diffrent colors, but you can also make your own rglages. (I deprecated, because you have once dja rgl a compressor limiter? Trs is very complicated if you miss, you have a loss of brulale in the middle of the song !
The burning of the song on CD is handy, you can use any type of cd (you do not have to buy cd audio)
In short, the device is gnial if I make another choice dvais eight TODAY, without hesitation, the BR 1600 CD! are all in there!
- Very easy, the manual clear.
- Verily trs performance. the sampler is of excellent quality.
The sound is pure trs. means all harmonics of acoustic guitars
- Overall Opinion
- It has my taste recorder most convenient I know, and the price is trs interresting ...
- See the reviews previous ones
A report rythmiquemes accompaniments portion which is very practical and well fucked and mastering kit that can bring much color to a piece
- Pretty easy to use and fairly intuitive especially once we understand how DIFFERENT the recording modes (guitar / bass, voice, stereo tracks, multi tracks).
On patches on offer was a little afraid to dpart especially given their number and the amount of active paramtres. By feeling it a little soon realizes patches relevant or not.
The menu on the edition of tracks (cut, copy, paste, etc ...) is very practical and stunning as a precision as we can see that fire!
The manual is very well done and provides quick rponse the question that arises.
The rhythm section is excellent arrangements for super simple to use and efficient trs, we can combine drum loops with parts of beasts of pace which is very practical to add a rhythm part. The pace bote intgre offers about 600 patterns (any reason confused with 'fill', 'intro' etc. ..) and it also possible to program his own beats in real time or not no . What is INTERESTED it can grate the nuance of every shot.
On the part of drums loops, loops are proposed about 150 in all styles and tempo is flexible -25% or 50%, which offers a lot of flexibility.
- It sounds trs own by fiddling a little effect on offer custom settings can be couraging the DMOS of excellent quality.
There are patches for trs good voice, loops included in the sound of thunder br 1600 as these drum parts recorded by pro drummers and dj mixes, the bo you sound quite a bit of pace, the patches are mastering KIT trs INTERESTED and can afford to catch up with a crappy first mixer.
However I am much more mixed patches of guitar, it's clear trs well saturated but it's pretty bad, do not try to have the big sound by going to the patches of mtal say to you because of. For recording fast I sometimes use the multi-effects guitar boss but what I d galr before getting a little distortion prs drinking!
On patches of low, but it means the limit that less dcevant distorted sounds of guitar, bass by connecting a good quality you get over having something adpanne and drinking well.
- Overall Opinion
- Excellent multi-type, while a good value for a TRS-quality prices for couraging models of excellent quality (no not galer the quality of a professional studio vritable). I have 2 years, the rapid j'apprcie with which one can quickly shape a particular thanks ide part rhythm section that I RPET is a big asset to this machine.
The only small BMOL is the multi guitar effects in terms of saturation was proposed but not me because I do not drang used almost never.
- Connectivity numrique, usb, etc ...
what about the precision of chantillonage ... I'm no expert, but it is good!
40GB hard drive recorder integrbr /> 8 tracks simultaneously, four tracks in Stereo.
16 virtual tracks on each track.
cosmetic effects, MODELS of guitar amps, bass, microphones, ...
bote intgre rate (hundreds of patterns)
reasons for low
rtro notch light
- Setup is simple, if extremely instinctive. Trs to know we can use the device without opening the manual ... When matrise perfect, that's another story ...
The manual is to help prcieuse ds one wants complicate the situation somewhat, as the possibilities are endless. While there is that simplicity ..
- The sounds are perfect, except those of the microphone, to be chosen according to well ... if her voice is that of happiness.
- Overall Opinion
- I've had one month, and I'm sick ... well only BMOL, think unplug the adapter, it's like a mine that has tripped ... long live garantie.sinon I love The models of guitar amps, and even all ... This is the only one I apprci given the number of simultaneous tracks just enough to register in concert . in short, make the apology I ask too much room, so I'll let you try it ...
- Um, everything is a dj with extreme precision Describes the site boss (and then it's late, first).
Ok, I give the bare minimum:
Frquence of Sampling: 44.1 kHz, enough to make the big sound that sounds good.
Storage on a hard drive 40 GB (or 120 hours, enough fun for hours and no bugs, thank you God (has nothing to see, but ...)
8 tracks are recorded simultaneously (for rp is s'couter INTERESTED order and progress, or to make a quick layout done well with a drummer who knows jouern square! You Grut , drummer).
In all, There are eight tracks "mono" Stereo + 4 tracks, 16 tracks in all. Mental math lovers, good evening.
Can read very simultanment 12 tracks (including four in Stereo mandatory). Capichera?
A big minus (worth 7 out of 10): no insrer Possibility of an effects loop post miking! My god! But what have they done! Global Warming's no way to signal its machines prfres APRS taking a neutral sound, unless you go through a DI or other stratagme malicieu (what I do with a JOE MEEK 3Q).
- So in terms of simplicity of use, madre mia, it's all cooked. A bit too much, but hey, we'll come back later on. It's like "plug and play", they chose a particular recording mode (oh, I choose the mode-bass guitar, or singing, or singing and guitar simultaneously, or when multiple tracks of anything until 8 at the same time with inverters and phase cuts the lows very practical).
The manual is the word of god. Seriously, we seek we find, trs clear, bim-bam-boom, no time at all and it's packed. Well done boss.
Attention, BMOL death. In dpart, it is trsdstabilisant for a "non-geek boss" to see why when you want just the sound (or insert later) a kind of special treatment or effect (just a distortion just one chorus) it must go through a lot of patches and disable pr-Defines tons of useless things for us ... Clearly, the Bosss BR1600CD is excellent for people who want to cook at all, sounding patches (because they sound a lot). But if you want to refine his are, of course you get there, but what galre sometimes! In short, you must outwit and patches and re-bouncer bouncer (for nophytes, a means to play multiple tracks and save it in one, or else play the track by applying effects and saving it to another), but worth it because the sounds are l.
- Ah sounds ...
The thunderous modlisations are, really.
Try the electric guitar DIFFERENT patches (good y'en ten out of 100 cast), but frankly, fiddling, there's something to have fun and produce something enjoyable trs.
Patches of low: I try to be multi-instrumentalist, I play bass, guitar, drums. But patches of low, throw!
Cuts: good, INTERESTED, modlises well, we feel their actions.
The modlisations of distortion pedals to: you bend over you tend to forget, and possder lot of these pedals for real (electro harmonix big muff of, OD1, turbo overdrive, overdrive / distortion boss ...), it's really excellent.
Mtalliques reverbs a little, but by adjusting the top end of the said tracks ddies reverb (because yes, something for people that possdant BR1600CD BOSS: a sound much better when instead of apply a simple reverb in post production on "" track, this track is copied twice, it regulates the original signal with two twins in the extreme left-right panning, reverb and applying the background on these tracks that are framing the volume fader gre, while correcting the top of their spectrum, without affecting that of the original signal!? Included? ask me otherwise).
Good EQ, Settings, and trs effective sculpting sound (especially in rusant you like the rabid foxes pairing him a four supplmentaire a patch taken from his post).
Delay, Doubling, chorus, really good. Ms. point of coupling with the patches in post recording.
I jump voluntarily everything else (not the place but the important thing is said). Really nice sound trs.
- Overall Opinion
- It's going to be one and a half that I use.
The +: the sound, there's fiddling average death (sound recording, post processing and mastering) to make trs trs trs good models (for an album pro, children will see Los Angeles Andy Wallace, mixer Compagnie de Muse, Skunk, RATM ... if we are!).
The -: To insert the connector lack an effects loop, and the towers of P'tit Filou need to use it to have its own sound.
In terms of competition (Korg, Tascam, Zoom, Yamaha), I have tried many, usability and logic to get his sound is certainly better, but for her there's no image I 'm in love with the boss. This is a good eight out of ten. I think it is better for a budget of 1200 euros that the computer music base, which pull your hair out and even the hairs of the buttocks for those who (DSOL but it's true, the computer music better than the compilation intgrale). Believe me.
- Oulala! See website builder, everything is indicated in every dtails (as usual '!)
- There is no simpler. One branch is pressed rec, you can play, much ... If it's going, we keep, if it goes wrong, it erases all over again, with two buttons! There's no simpler than that. If you want to apply an effect (which I will later), idem. No, really, is a machine that does not squirming c. .. entitled to shit, and it's really enjoyable. Small default, ergonomics to finalize a record (timing, etc ...) Obviously that is not as good as on a computer, but it vraimant the price paid for an almost perfect record (condition of have good instrumentals). Another highlight non ngligeable: the record is sharp, clear and prcise. We read, apply, and you're jou!
Oh, I forgot: Boss and the design is not really ca ... Look trs spaceship, it's a shame. capacitsdpassent but everything else!
- Okay, so since I'm not a ingnieur sound, I can not go too far on the subject. I feel that the sound is neutral, as is being played out APRS recording. Some say the colors the Boss, they must have the ear as espigle the hair of a bird (Jamel sic).. non frankly, the sound is pure and flawless. Indeed for the effects, they are absolutely terrible. For my part, I have the same guitar on their Boss ME 50, so no worries of ct l. The nice thing is that they are applied before and APRS recording, very practical ... The converters are about them trs fcture good, no worries either. I have not tried the bote intgre rhythms, but I'm a little rticent saw my same drummer he will take care of the rhythm (After all, it is the for that!).
- Overall Opinion
- This is my first recorder numrique, and I can say I am impressed with the capabilities trs of bte. Some say it's a toy, I think they are either pros or the frustrated ... Nevertheless, a toy that allows you to enhance your job climax, if you can tame it. J'tais front of computer (Cubase and a multitude of plugins that gobble up a Whereas ...), and I can blow ... : Beug not-for-now, no breath-which is really not ngligeable - short, a real machine to do a little more than the model, and nun slightly less than the studio (but s' in close strongly). Musicians, go for it, this machine is for you (for fans of programming, sound cards 2000 euros for nothing, for plugins that play music by pressing the "Enter" key, pseudo musicians who play mouse, go your way). At Euro 1200, is an excellent investment!
- Okay so I know that many people expect a review on this product, but I pass on the connection because I'm lazy, and that all information on the roland site!
I just remember that the strength of this poinr bcanne is the simultaneous recording of 8 tracks audio with phantom power supply.
- The config is simple gnrale I got. I use it for 24 hours and I matrise 80% of the functions. (I did not look at mastering and burning).
The functions are trs simple: it's a big magneto numrique that works with large buttons.
The manual is clear, but TRS is in English! I am not a personal drang not because I speak good English and I'm familiaris with technical terms in English, but a good may be a problem if you do not speak the language at all! ! Be careful.
- So I will commend my days here as two good microphones that I have not. For insant I had fun with a 58 sm dja silent and sound good with headphones trs crap.
The effects on the voice type compressor-esser, etc. .. are set automatically insert (you can remove Obviously) but it's very practical.
Like piano or guitar, offers a bcanne SERIES adapted as an insert effect.
Very easy to add APRS (or before) delay, reverb, pan, comp, etc.
I'm not ing but the resulting sound as a dj is impressive for the numrique. A model for semi-pro or pre-production I Do not hesitate.
- Overall Opinion
- What I love: the simplicity! It was for that I buy at dpend the total computer music. It is a tool for musicians (which is my case) who do not want to take the head.
Least Obviously, the lack of ergonomics for a mix. But hey, we can not have everything!
I've seen (not tried other models but it is the only one that will record a live jazz trio (8 tracks simultaneously!!).
I forgot something that will make srieusement dscendre Note: there is a USB port (for audio or for MIDI, just for backup), mail it is only compatible with Mac OS 9! !! Carrment and is the shame that price! I work on Mac OS X for several years now, and I find that such abhrant bcanne is Designed for X.
Days I will put in a few months!