4-string bass guitar from Gibson belonging to the ES series

Write a user review or Ask for a user review

Thread Comments about the review: All Ears

• 2 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 Comments about the review: All Ears
All Ears
Kalamazoo isn't the name of a strange bird. It's a town in Michigan where Gibson was founded. While the brand is very present among six-string colleagues─ to the point of fanatism sometimes ─ it never really did, after its creation, stir the bass guitar world.

Read the article

This thread was created automatically after the publishing of an article. Feel free to post your comments here!
I'm certain the new Gibson bass is beautiful and has utility. But at what price? Over a couple decades I played professionally a Thunderbird IV. It sounded marvelous, but the heavy headstock was an impediment. I really liked the way that Thunderbird sang, and I'm sure Gibson still makes a good powerful double-coil bass pickup. I need to look at one of these; I'm certain it won't be tubby like the old EB-3 series. A new MIA Fender Jazz bass will put you back around $1.2K after the dust clears, and there is no arguing with the tone. Personally I prefer the Precision neck geometry. Gibson has made some iconic basses over the years, so I look forward to auditioning one of these. The audio sample with the bridge pickup sounds so good to me. With HalfRounds you could get a faux upright attack. Of course Gibson figured out many decades ago the intonation fret-to-fret is based on the twelfth root of 1/2. See this number in action by reading George Martin's All You Need Is Ears.

I'd like to mention that in 1972 I took my Thunderbird IV up to Kalamazoo from Columbus, Ohio. The Gibson luthier installed a new nut while I waited and didn't charge me a cent. Even though I am a Hotrod PJ guy these past 25 years, I have deep loyalty to the Gibson brand.

[ Post last edited on 10/05/2013 at 19:31:00 ]

Well, you are quite right, life gets more and more expensive...
But as a professional, if you consider your instrument as a tool to work with, and if you are satisfied about it, 2000 $ should not be a a problem. If you are a constant user of Gibson basses, just try this one and tell us what you think about it. As an old customer of this brand, you might have a good point of view on their actual work.
As far as I am concerned, this bass is just marvelous and spreads so many tones... I gave it back some weeks ago and I can still fell the vibes from it. A real pleasure to play, and so efficient !

Sorry for my english, my french is far better !

Thanks for your testimony !