Image Line Fruity Loops Studio 5
Image Line Fruity Loops Studio 5

All user reviews for the Image Line Fruity Loops Studio 5

Average Score: 4.9 ( 4.9/5 based on 23 reviews )
  20 reviews 87 %
  3 reviews 13 %

FP User's review

It's one of the best tools for getting your ideas laid down onto a track, quick and easy. The pattern/step sequencer is an awesome visual beat creation tool. I doubt I'll ever go back to hardware drum machines again. The effects and filters etc are great. It's like you have 99% of a full working studio right there at your desk top. And the amount of VSTi and DXi plug ins you can get to enhance your work are endless

150.00 CAD

Hell! I'm using it, so it must be easy. Once you start getting used to the GUI its a breeze. It's a windows app right? if you get lost... right click or file menu your way out of a problem. Once bit of advice is to SAVE every time you like something. SAVE, save, save...

Good Sound Quality. It comes with a decent selection of kits and plug-in synths. They're good enough to get started, but you'll want to buy or create some of your own kits eventually.

Works great. Can't complain. To me it's much easier than hardware sequencers. If it "breaks" just reinstall it.

It's all about matching yourself to the best tool for you. I've used cubase and cakewalk in the past with hardware midi and my love for FL Studio comes from those experiences. FL Studio is the perfect choice for those who want to get the most bang for their buck. It's not the end all solution but it's the best starting point. The only thing that you might find it lacking in is the multitrack live REC function (like recording vocals...) I think it's possible but you'll need a ASIO interface. I'm going to buy different software for the final mixdown if I never get it to work in FL. But as for building intrumentals... it's outstanding.

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: cocopuffz ( 6-, 2004)

FP User's review

Like I said in the previous post... it's really what you are expecting the tool to provide you. Can the eisel hold the brushes for the artist... or does the potter's spinning thingie have the ability to bake the clay as well? Well, FLStudio is not what many "sequencer seekers" are searching for. You have to understand that FLStudio is a sequencer, and what a powerful sequencer it is. It's fast, it's amazingly inspiring... not a day goes by that I don't listen to that "Thu-THUDD-FUZZZ" on the splash screen, and to be honest with you... I'd be lost without it. It's most powerful features: the ability to use VSTs, and a very capable sampler. It's the ability to network, and summon the most powerful tools that make it such a beast.

$150.00 USD

Compared to other sequencer's that I've tried, bought, or had demos of... FLStudio is amazingly simple. The documentation is so that a child can understand it. FLStudio expects you to understand the tools of the trade "vertically", so to speak, to grab at some good sounds... It's mixer is such a blur to start up, and my mouse scurries like a mad-man shuffling effects and tweaks. Can't really ask for more, to be honest.

There's something to be said about tools of the trade... Every artist needs an eisel, every potter needs that spinning-thingie, and every software based musican needs a good sequencer. FLStudio is the most deceptively robust tool out there. It's a love-hate relationship for the beginner, because beginner's expect all the good sounds of tomorrow (or yesterday) to be handed to them on a platter. FLStudio is a console, not an ideal syntesizer... However, as one learns more and more about synthesis, you'll start finding wonderful things to do with the built-in synthesizers. The 3xOSC and the TS-404 are limited... but that does not mean they are crap, and you must respect them for what a good synth-technician can produce with them.

When I had version 4.01... it would crash sometimes when you would be working on a large .flp file, and then ask it to open up something else. That has changed in version 5.01, and I really haven't had a bad case with it thus far.

I'll never stop mixing on FLStudio... it's powerful, imports VSTs... I just threw in an EMU 0404 Proteus X package for my soundcard needs, and I added a hardware synth... My setup kick's butt, and it all revolves around the fruit... POWER TO THE FRUIT!

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: Northern_Fist (January 0-, 2005)

FP User's review

Well actually the one main thing that is missing is timestreching, but image line has been considering adding this for a while, so maybe they will soon. but don't get me wrong, you can still use the "granulizer" to timestrech, its just not made for that.

Price paid

Its as easy as you want it to be. my first time using it, and first time sampling / sequencing, i was able to make something that was OK, and 6 years later i'm still learning new stuff. The interface is solid, and looks good, i wish i had another video monitor though.

Sounds good, has good compressors for pre-mastering, and a wide selection of mixdown options. some of the samples that come with FL Studio IMO are not useable for serious songs, but most of the ones i'm talking about are intended for dance music and i make hip-hop.

hmm, i've had very few problems with it being buggy, the only occasions it messes up on me is when i'm using a lot of vst / dxi software instruments that did not come with the program.

If it was legal to marry software FL Studio would be my first choice for a Bride. there are just so many awesome things one can do with it, and is just so much fun to use. Plus, its so cheap! you also get access to the FL forums where all the fruityheads are at so you can ask them questions and share ideas. FL Studio is highly recommended

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: Ethereal (January 0-, 2004)

FP User's review

The way FL Studio is made allows for easy addition of plug-ins, dxi, and vst's. You can buy the synths they sell, but they really arn't all that (maybe sytrus if tweaked right).

When I first started using FL Studio, I was completely lost for a while. I would recommend you getting with someone who knows how to operate it for the first couple of sessions. From there, just natural curiosity should guide you to lots of learning.

Sound quality depends on the samples quality that you use with it. I use "okay" samples, so I get "okay" sounds. Strong points are that I can use any sound as long as its in .wav or mp3 file format. Its only as strong as your soundcard too.

I have FL Studio crash on me sometimes when I use some vst's. My computer is kinda old too, so that could be a factor also. But I imagine on a great performing pc, the results and stability would be better.

Now that I have the "hang" of using FL Studio 5, I really enjoy it everytime I make music with it. I love how I don't have to update it everytime a new version comes out, because the program is so expandable by itself. Sound Modules, Vocals, Midi equipment, and other hardware can be incorporated into your music making experience with the right know-how. Image-Line also makes some usefull tutorials that tell you how to use certain features.

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: c-dub ( 5-, 2006)

FP User's review

The features are quiet impressive. Especially that fruity slicer, I think that's a powerful tool! The sampler is really simple yet does alot like pitch a sample without changing the speed and length. Other things like the slayer, keys, drumsynth, etc are real good!

$99

Not too easy to use, takes quiet some time to use this program, especially finding the sounds you actually want. I dont think Imangeline did a good job of this.

The sound quality here isn't impressive, most sounds tend to be real small and and thiner in texture.

Horrible in this instance. FL studio crashes frequentlly when using the midi plugin. It also looses track of the mouse pointer alot.

I think Fl studio has a lot of potential as a software. Imagelin needs to pay attention to user reviews and order to address problems such as sound quality, usability, and locating sounds etc. Otherwise great features, I use it and love it!

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: cyptm ( 3-, 2006)

FP User's review

This program has basicallly got everyhtin you could want from beat machines that cost 3-6 times as much. You can do almost anything(as far as instrumenatls go). I would suggest getting a differnet program for complete vocal mixdown.

$329.99

When I got the demo version, It took a while to learn everything about this program. But if you work on it for 2-3 hours a day, you could know everything about it in a week. Just dont get overwelmed, take things a step at a time.

This program has got great sound quality. however it has a lack of good synthesizers. The only synthesizer they have sounds plasticy and is only a demo. Sytrus is great but complicated to learn at first.

Unless you get a virus on your computer and your disc breaks, then this hould last you a lifetime.

This is possibly the best beat making program out. Im a hiphop and rap beat maker and I can basically do everything on here. All you need is 2 or 3 good cds with a good variety of sounds and maybe a Korg MicroKontroller. With all that, you could easily make proffesional beats. It takes me about an hour to make a good quality, proffesional instrumental song. I dont think Ill ever stop usin this program. Its well-rounded, feature packed, and userfriendly. what more do you need.

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: xDramax ( 2-, 2006)

FP User's review

For the price, I think that there are enough features standard with the software. Effects are plentiful enough so that even an amature could produce a track worthy of at least street credit...Scrounge the net to find plugins if you cant find them locally.

$200

Interface is pretty configurable.

This software is truly amazing. The sound quality truly depends on the soundcard and the quality of the sample recording. If you really want to tweak the sound, drop in some new vst/vsti or dx plugins. You can make this program sound just like you working in a $1,000,000 studio. That is no lie. With the right monitors and headphones, you can make you tracks soun any way you want them to sound. Just like a bank...(Fill in the rest)

Well designed. Fits well with all genres of music...

Very easy to use. If you have some extra cash, spring for the FL Studio Bible from Imageline. It costs about $40, but will save you a lot of money in the long run when you can figure out how to tweak the program without having to buy too much outboard gear. The fact that it can be used with so many other programs is definitely a plus...

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: b'swax (January 2-, 2005)

FP User's review

I've used it all, you name it, and i always comeback to to FL. everything is there and its all automated.

one of the reasons i always come back to FL is the interface. when i started using it i knew nothing about using computers (i wasn't even online). i was a hardcore hardware junkie. within a few weeks i was actually composing songs. no other program is as user friendly as this. (the automation did take me a while to figure out)

The sound quality is as good as you put into it. i very rarely use the stock sounds, so its great.

i have never had a problem with the stability of this progam.

You just can't front on FL. as much as people want to talk smack on it, YOU CAN'T!!!! whatever, i will pimp this product till i die, haters eat a #@%$!!!!

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: king_e (January 2-, 2005)

FP User's review

I think FL has much more capability than is given credit for. One huge plus that I see over reason is it's capability to support vst's. Now is you like to produce electronic type music like me you will find that vst support is a major advantage. Rewire capability is poor. There are some obvious things it lacks in though that I'm sure will be implemented in later versions. Overall: I consider FL to be a pretty flexible program ("for it's ease of use") .

149 USD

Very intutive design. Highly recommend this for anyone to start on. NOT SAYING YOU SHOULD NECESSARILY MOVE ON TO SOMETHING ELSE once you become more proficient with sequensing. Just saying out of anything out there this is real easy to learn on for the amount of flexinility it has.

Wow... Tha samples that come with this are absolutely horrible. Don't plan on jammin' with this program right out of the box. You're ganna have to grab some 3rd party software and build your own collection of samples/soundfonts. I am a reason user to and it seems like everything that comes out of reason just sounds much more professional.

I cannot recall any crashes or serious problems. I've heard complaints from other people about feezing up or shutting down but I suspect that was due to non-legitamate use/cracked software.

I can honestly say "I love FL". It's intuitive design is just so easy to use yet its features are powerful. To some it up it's just a very comfortable program to work with.

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: Esthetix (January 2-, 2005)

FP User's review

Great, great, great! FL gives you many many effects e.g. reverb, eq, wah-wah, chorus, etc. It also comes with VST expandability, so if you don't wasnt to use the crappy default sounds, you can get better ones! The FL Keys Rhodes are amazing.

Price paid

This is by far the easiest program to make beats , for beginners and advanced users. Some say that Reason is better, but if you know how to use FL, you won't ever need Reason. Just hear some of the sample projects they have.

The rendering of the default sounds sometimes leaves a bitter taste in your mouth, but after a bit of tweaking, the rendering is perfect.

software = lifetime. enough said.

It's like an old friend. The interface is friendly. You can even put in your own background to get rid of that nasty grey!

Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: ocksusu26 (January 0-, 2005)