Add this product to
  • My former gear
  • My current gear
  • My wishlist
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Images
1/616
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

USB audio interface from Focusrite belonging to the Scarlett 1st Generation series

Public price: $499 incl. VAT

Thread Focusrite 18i20/18i8 live recording

• 3 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 Focusrite 18i20/18i8 live recording
Here is my situation. I am doing live recordings in a fixed location. I am using an 18i8 as my primary interface and an 18i20 as my ADAT unit linked via optic from the out of the 18i20 to the in of the 18i8 Connected via USB2 to a Toshiba L70 laptop running windows 8.1 my DAW is Pro Tools 11 latest version. All of my inputs are direct outs from a Yamaha IM8-40 which are all pre-fader direct outs.

My issue is that I do not have preamp control over the ADAT channels. Even if I turn the preamps all the way down I still get a hot signal on some of the channels. In MixControl I have the inputs assigned to the individual ADAT outputs linked to the ADAT inputs on the 18i8.

Since there is no actual input control in Pro Tools on the armed channels themselves I continually wind up with clipped/distorted audio on some channels

Any suggestions, would be appreciated and entertained
Hi Dmac,

The control will happen via the gain knobs on the 18i20. If these are already all the way down then the signal may be too hot for the input. What are you feeding into the preamps? With what kind of cable?

If you're using anything other than a mic, make sure it's plugged into the 1/4" part of the input otherwise the input may clip easily. Any particularly hot mics can be plugged into inputs 1 and 2 and the pad engaged as this will help lower the signal level.

Best regards,

Chris
Focusrite Support

Chris thank for the feedback it did not occur to me initially that the preamps were not volume controls but gain controls and that the XLR & TRS connectors were routed slightly differently. Focusrite did respond finally with that tid bit which helped quite a bit. Since I am using the direct outs from the Yamaha IM8-40 which are line level I need to use TRS CABLES. at present I was using TRS to XLR which engage the Mic pre instead of the line level pre's. Which was probably most of my issue. Soon to be remedied with cable changes. Also a nifty little trick that someone shared with me regarding Pro Tools. When recording instead of going directly to the track, record through a AUX so that there is a functional input level control before it hits the track. All that being said all of this gets tested this weekend. I will update the post again after testing

Thanks again
Dennis
Chris thank for the feedback it did not occur to me initially that the preamps were not volume controls but gain controls and that the XLR & TRS connectors were routed slightly differently. Focusrite did respond finally with that tid bit which helped quite a bit. Since I am using the direct outs from the Yamaha IM8-40 which are line level I need to use TRS CABLES. at present I was using TRS to XLR which engage the Mic pre instead of the line level pre's. Which was probably most of my issue. Soon to be remedied with cable changes. Also a nifty little trick that someone shared with me regarding Pro Tools. When recording instead of going directly to the track, record through a AUX so that there is a functional input level control before it hits the track. All that being said all of this gets tested this weekend. I will update the post again after testing

Thanks again
Dennis