Add this product to
  • My former gear
  • My current gear
  • My wishlist
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Images
1/616
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

USB audio interface from Focusrite belonging to the Scarlett 1st Generation series

Public price: $499 incl. VAT

Thread 18i20 delay delay/latency proplem

• 8 replies
  • 5 participants
  • 5 followers
1 18i20 delay delay/latency proplem
An issus has surfaced since i have started some overdubing or adding to existing tracks.
I have setup a seperate mix in mixcontrol and playing the with the previously recorded track is no problem all seems fine until the playback. The newly recorded track is slightly out of sync with the previous track. Note the existing track that im playing with is an imported wav file. It all seems fine when playing to the track. Yes the tracks being recorded are muted in pro tools.

The tracks being recorded are passing through an Aux In track to an Audio track in order to control the input volume.

Mixcontrol is setup with mix 1 to the headphone jack on the front of tne 18i20 into a aviom interface ( yea i know ) but for now its my only option for listening back.

Im stumped
What's your ASIO buffer size? Can you give a bit more info/screenshots if possible?
I have tried all available options for buffer size. Here is what i have come up with my contined poking around

It seems that the delay only happens if I continue to use the auxiliary inputs when overdubbing. There is never any issue using the Aux inputs when during the initial recording of the tracks. I used the auxiliary inputs initially because I am coming out of a Yamaha Consul before my focusrite inputs and the auxiliary tracks help to control the input volume to the audio track. (which works great) If I continue using aux inputs during subsequent recording the delay is encountered. If I record directly to the audio track when overdubbing no delay is encountered. Obviously the AUX track adds some degree of latency to the input process that is not heard when listening to the mixcontrol mix. But is obviously there when the track is recorded That probably has solved my problem. As long as I can control the initial input volume when subsequent tracks are being recorded.
Do you have processing on the main mix buss? Any processing on the Aux? Anything that is a "limiter" will surely introduce latency and any other plugins you may have on each track can also produce latency (though not as much)...

While tracking I keep processing to a minimum either by freezing tracks, disabling plugins or removing them entirely. I would try that out and see if the issue persists

Hi Dmac252,

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with recording with your 18i20. We would like to offer you some one-on-one assistance with your setup. Can you please contact us here :
Phone support (310) 322-5500, Monday - Friday, 8am - 6pm Pacific Time.

Best,
David // Focusrite Technical Support
Do not use any plug-ins on the AUX tracks while recording as a matter fact there are no plug-ins anywhere on the initial sessions I take the tracks raw no upfront processing directly from the 18i20 via USB just the Aux inputs assigned to the specific inputs to the individual output buss assignments for the audio tracks and a master volume

I think i am going to give focusrite a call as suggested in this thread just for a sanity check.
Hi Dmac,

You may have already given us a call (either the UK or US office). But what DAW are you using to track in?

Many thanks
Simon // Focusrite Technical Support
I am using Pro Tools 11 latest update
Toshiba i7 laptop running win 8.1. 12gb ram. USB 2 connection to 2 18i20 units.

I have not contacted Focursite by phone yet regarding this issue.

Wondering if i really have a problem or is it something i am creating myself by trying to use the AUX in method for the secondary recording. All this initially started because my tracks seemed to be too hot coming through the Yamaha board I am using pre-figure outputs from the Yamaha to the 18i20 then someone suggested that I use the auxiliary in method and this seemed to work fine for the full 16 track recording's all at the same time. The issue surfaced when I tried to go back and add another recording to the initial using the same auxiliary in method. Here again I am not sure that useing the Aux in method for recording is the normal thing to do or it is just a Kluge method still trying to do some testing. I will certainly post the results and final solution as it becomes known to me.
HI Dmac,

If you take your Yamaha desk out of the equation, what kind of results do you get?

Best regards
Simon // Focusrite Technical Support