Add this product to
  • My former gear
  • My current gear
  • My wishlist
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
Images
1/616
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

USB audio interface from Focusrite belonging to the Scarlett 1st Generation series

Public price: $499 incl. VAT

Thread Behringer Ultrafex EX3200

• 7 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Behringer Ultrafex EX3200
Hey guys,

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and have recently acquired a Behringer Ultrafex EX3200. I run an electric mandolin, a drum machine, a Roland synth and a Hammond organ through the Scarlett for recording, with my monitors connected to the Focusrite line outs, but I would like to run everything through the Ultrafex prior to recording, so the recorded audio has the Ultrafex sound applied. Is this possible?

If I connect the Ultrafex to the line out of the Focusrite, then connect the monitors to the Ultrafex line out, the sound will be applied on playback but not during recording, is that correct?

Apologies if that doesn't make sense, I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to these things. Hope someone can help me.

Thanks,
Steeplemouth
That is correct

But then connect as followed :

the ultafex to monitor out. That is output one and two.
Recorder to to the ultrafex out.
Monitors on recorder out.

Connect Instruments to the inputs and set the software mixer as needed.

This option is for ( stand-a-lone)

However i think you beter record to a daw make a sub out in the daw say 3 and 4 and route this to the ultrafex.
If you route the ultrafex back in to 9 and 10 ( example) and re-record back into the daw then every instrument will have their sound manipulated by the ultrafex.

And you still can make changes in your mix
So basicly you need to use the ultrafex as an insert effect

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that for the second option you scarlett needs to be in daw mode. I believe that is a standard option in the setup

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

[ Post last edited on 10/20/2014 at 05:10:45 ]

Thanks for the advice Angelie, I'll give that a go. :bravo:
Not sure I totally follow, but the 18i20 has eight line outs plus monitor outs. So I would try the simple approach first, ie take a couple line outs to the ultrafex inputs then send the ultrafex back to a pair of 18i20 line inputs. There may be some latency issues as a result, but nothing too hard to work around.

But why do you want to incorporate the ultrafex so badly? If your end game is just to enhance your tone, there are several plugins out there that'll do the job for ya...
True but you have to change the internal routing.
If not set right you will experience major feedback.
Which basicly means you have to route every input to output 3&4 except the ones of the behringer . Connect the ultafex to those ports and feed them back in and route this to output 1&2

But this means a lot of settings to be made.
Besides that the internal mixer and setting are not that easy to understand for some people.

And offcourse there are plenty of Plugins but he may not have them or he will not use them.
( i'm also a plugin-less kind of girl :-D )

[ Post last edited on 10/20/2014 at 08:14:48 ]

Thanks for the advice guys and gals. I do use plugins and I have some that would do the job more efficiently than the Behringer unit, but I don't have much experience routing hardware so this is an educational exercise for me.

Cheers,
Steeplemouth
Would you lke to see some images with some examples so you can see how it is done?

Thanks for the offer Angelie, you're a star, but I think I know what needs to be done from your description above. I'll give it a go and if I get stuck I'll give you a shout.

Thanks again,
Steeplemouth