M-Audio Fast Track Pro
M-Audio Fast Track Pro

External Audio Interface of the Fast Track series

User Reviews: 3.872

All user reviews for the M-Audio Fast Track Pro

Average Score: 3.8 ( 3.8/5 based on 72 reviews )
  23 reviews 32 %
  24 reviews 33 %
  10 reviews 14 %
  4 reviews 6 %
  6 reviews 8 %
Value For Money: Excellent
theaudioandvideoguy 07/25/2012

theaudioandvideoguy's review "Nice starting package"

M Audio Fast Track Pro was a very affordable interface that I purchased from eBay in a package deal online about 2 years ago. It came with a basic version of pro tools. I think the pro tools version that it came with was the student version. That version of pro tools was really limited, I ended up giving that version of pro tools away because I already had the full version of pro tools installed on my mac and didn’t need it.

The Fast track pro was more for a beginner if you ask me, that is the reason that It didn’t work for me long. I was just at the point in my music career where I was trying to expand, and using the fast track pro wasn’t going to let me expand and record multiple inputs at the same time . It really isn’t that type of device, its more for beginners who are recording simple things and aren't expanding right now.

GETTING STARTED

Fast Track Pro does work great in a few different programs and DAW's. And updating the drivers is easy because M Audio will keep in contact with you if you need to update the drivers. But when I purchased this I plugged it in and it was recognized right away and I didn’t have to load any disk in or anything. I don’t know how it did this but it did. I was not complaining.

I was able to use this on my laptop and my desktop pc without upgrading or loading any extra software or drivers onto my system. It was truly plug and play. I am not sure if it will be the same for everyone, but I really recommend using this if you are just getting into recording music. Look on eBay and purchase the package deal with pro tools. It is a great starting point
stompboxjon 04/03/2012

stompboxjon's review "no sweat installation "

M Audio’s Fast track pro will get you up and running in a heartbeat! I actually really liked this interface, it was one of the only ones that worked in almost any program that I used it in without any issues. It comes with a Lite (not sure what its called exactly) version of pro tools. I think its like the pro tools student edition or something like that. But I never used it with pro tools I used it with cubase and fl studio many years ago.

Latency is very minimal even with my keyboards going through it really didn’t have much of a latency at all. I used this thing daily for a while because I traded in some of my gear to get more gear and needed a cheap interface. I only record 1 track at a time with it, and the drivers don’t get updated often.

GETTING STARTED

I had no compatibility issues which is strange because most audio interfaces will give you some sort of a struggle when using them with foreign softwares. The manual was on point and very easy to understand. All of the function of the interface are right on the interface its self and noting is tricky to understand.

Overall, I love this interface and will continue to use it when needed. Its very portable, but it feels really cheap though. The knobs are plastic and its not heavy duty at all. Scared to drop it, because it might spit wide open if I do. So I handle it with care, it provides a great sound with low latency . I have tried several interfaces from M audio and all of them are a little different but this one is one of my favorite ones that they make. I am very happy with my purchase of the M Audio Fast Track Pro. I would buy it again in a heart beat.
yoTrakkz 10/06/2011

yoTrakkz's review "ok for a beginner "

The M Audio Fast Track Pro was perfect for my home set up because it has audio and midi. The latency on it is pretty low if your computer can handle running low latency with asio drivers. It comes with Ableton Live Lite 4, but I never really use that anymore.

This thing is extremely easy to set up. Just follow the directions, and you'll have NO problem. Other than that, I was recording in Sonar 5.2 Producer within minutes. I didn't give this 10's across the board because it could have more features, but it's still pretty loaded. It feels pretty solid and it's not a bad price (bought mine for $200). If you want ease of use for programs like Sonar, or you want to get you feet wet with the almighty PRO TOOLS (m-powered); go ahead and buy this thing. I wanted to get into Pro Tools and I always like having extra recording equipment around.

GETTING STARTED

Getting started couldn’t be any easier, it was basically plug and play. My software recognized it right off the bat and was synced in and ready to go.

Overall, The build quality is okay and the thing is extremely easy to setup. However, my biggest gripe with it is that it doesn't go loud enough. You have to turn the mix and the gain knobs all the way up to get any decent sound out of the headphones. I usually mix at medium levels and crank it up later after I'm done to make sure the mix is right. This thing is too low, imo. Another thing is that the drivers haven't been updated on the mac for quite some time. But since using this I have upgraded to a firewire audio control for lower latency and better quality. But just for starting out this is a good start for the beginners. Check it out.
James... 08/21/2011

James...'s review "Ultimate portability"

M-audio is one of my favorite companies and they really pack a lot of stuff into this box. 2 Mic inputs. Pro tools compatible. Monitoring support. Tons of TRS outputs and digital outs. It's even got midi if you want. I had one of the regular fast tracks before I got this one and it's amazing how much more they have packed into virtually the same sized box.

I don't use pro tools very often, although it's nice that this is PT compatible. I basically use this as a mobile interface with my laptop. It fits very easily into a laptop bag or backpack or whatever I'm hauling.

Drivers are stable like almost all the m-audio stuff. Latency is good. But the fact is you will only get as much performance as your cpu hardware will allow. Don't blame the device for your bad latency. Cubase generally has good support for maudio products and this one is no exception. I have used a few of their interfaces and all of them have more or less worked great. This interface has two inputs and I haven't had any trouble with mixing them properly. Drivers are especially smooth with the pro for some reason. That's a welcome feature I suppose.

GETTING STARTED

I don't even know if there is a manual because I never read it. Everything is laid out for you and even a beginner can probably figure it out on his own. Sometimes when a unit has this many features packed in, things can get confusing but the pro is laid out pretty clearly. Functions are all easy to access and the best part is there are a lot of functions. To be honest I don't use the midi and I rarely use all the outputs so I can't attest to how it handles a high traffic audio situation.

I like the fact that it packs everything I need into a tiny box I can carry on the go. I do a weekly podcast at a friend's house, and the best thing about this is I can stick it in a laptop bag and take two mics with me for the whole show. Easy and done. I looked at the other models and this was the smallest interface that had all these features. The only competition is some of the Motu stuff but I believe they are slightly larger? Sound quality is great. I have said for years that digital preamps are every bit as good as the tube gear. I would know because I've used it all. The Pro is in line with my thinking there. I really recommend it.
Hatsubai 06/28/2011

Hatsubai's review "Similar to the Fast Track"

The M-Audio Fast Track Pro is the next step up in the Fast Track world. You have a few more features that make it a bit more desirable. This pre features an insert cable for outboard processors, 2 balanced outputs, 4 unbalanced outputs, S/PDIF with 2 channel PCM, MIDI I/O, headphone output with level control, headphone A/B with source switch, input/playback mix control for monitoring, mono switch for playback monitoring, master output level, USB 2.0 and bundled software.

The device is setup pretty nicely. I'm a big fan that it has MIDI. For some reason, people don't like to include MIDI in all of these devices. I'm not sure why because MIDI is such an important part of the recording process in today's world. Heck, it was important even back in the 80s. There are no annoying breakout cables to have to utilize with this, so that's great. I'm a huge fan of self contained pres like this. Everything is laid out in an easy to use manner, and the quality is pretty good. The pres themselves don't sound the best, but they definitely get the job done. I've heard much worse converters out there.

GETTING STARTED

Getting this set up is super simple. You just plug in the devices to their corresponding ports, open up your DAW, set up your preferences (making sure this device is selected) and you're ready to make music. This comes with Pro Tools LE, and it's a great DAW to start using. Once you master this, you can really use any other DAW out there, and I'm glad they include that. That said, don't be afraid to try out other DAWs such as Reaper. There are some really great ones out there that have a bit more versatility when it comes to using VSTs and other plugins.

This is probably my favorite M-Audio device for the price. It's packed full of features, super simple to use and sounds pretty good. The converters aren't the best in the world, but they're certainly not the worst. I wish it was firewire, but that's a personal gripe I have with most of these devices today.
BadApple 03/21/2011

BadApple's review "Great but Fiddly"

I am a producer and I wanted an external soundcard so that I could hook up my monitors, Sub woofer and Synthesiser all together.
I am also a DJ with a live show so an external soundcard is needed when recording/broadcasting over the internet.
I heard that this soundcard was very good for the price that it was from a few friends so I decided to get this model.
The way in which my set up is hooked up is as follows...
Balanced 1/4 inch jacks out to my monitors, RCA out to my sub and midi in for my synthesiser.
Everything works fine.

Latency with this product is not big of a deal whilst producing.
I do get occasional cracks from latency but nothing that puts me off the product.
Whilst recording a DJ set there is no latency at all, it all works perfectly fine and I am very impressed with it.
I run windows 7 so the drivers are updated automatically whenever there is a new update.

GETTING STARTED

Ah, the manual... this was probably the worst part about the fast track pro.
There was no manual at all, I had to try and work everything out by myself. This was ok because I know my way around these things but for someone that does not, they would be lost definitely.
With the actual running of the fast track pro I have to swap from line 1 and 2 to S/PDIF for different uses.
For example if I want to listen to itunes I would have to set it to line 1 and 2.
If I want to use my DAW then I will have to set it to S/PDIF. This can be annoying some times if I forget and no sound comes out.
No compatibility issues at all with this, that is probably because I am running windows 7 though and everything updates automatically.

The thing I like most about this product is how everything can be input into it, I would buy the fast track ultra if I had the money as I think this lacks inputs if you were wanting to record more into your DAW.
Least favourite thing would be the lack of manual to actually set the thing up in the first place, this really aggravated me and I feel as though M-Audio should really sort this out.
This is definitely worth the money and now you can pick it up for even cheaper.
Quality is great, can not say anything bad about that.
OtterXZY 01/28/2009

OtterXZY's review

This is the M-Audio Fast Track Pro with 4x4 input lines with Midi In and Out, Phantom Power and a stereo out. I bought this as a foray into the world of digital recording and I haven't had to buy anything else.

The box is incredibly light-weight and durable (not scratch resistant, but durable). One of the features that really enticed me about the box was the unique front two ports on the box which allo you to either go 1/4 in or XLR in; they are dual purpose. I also took a hands on look of one of these at a store and was happy with the general lay out and ease of operation. Nothing complicated, you have knobs for input volume, panning, toggling PAD etc.

I use this box in conjunction with my Intel Dual Core Macbook, which I run Digital Performer on. It took a little work to sync it up correctly with DP but in the end it worked incredibly well. If you are also a Mac User and want to use Garage Band, its as simple as plug and play.

I have taken full use of ever port on this box. I've ran guitars, bass, vocals and microphones through the inputs; ran a MIDI controller into the back and Stereo-ed outed to a sound system. I'm impressed by the extreme capability and ease of use with this tool.

The package comes with Abelton software and drivers. The drivers installed with ease and allowed for plug and play connection with most simple software (like I said with DP, it was a bit harder). The Abelton softare never really grew on me, it was more geared towards guitarists who were just entering the world of digital recording/manipulation.

Fortunately enough the programs, drivers and box itself is highly compatible and will work on both PC and Mac (brownie points).

The one thing that irked me was the manual was a little soft on a few areas. As obvious and easy as the box is, there were a few things I had a hard time finding out (for example trying to utilize the stereo inputs).

It seems as if M-Audio wanted to make a great beginners box with a simplistic layout and good beginning software but didn't follow up with any reading material to come full circle.

GETTING STARTED

M-Audio has always been good about releasing updated drivers so as to keep all their products working throughout. Any and all drivers I have to update for this product have been done so with ease, though they are not released very often.

With this box, like I stated above I use Garage Band and Digital Performer with. I lent this box to a friend of mine who used it to record his band via his PC and Sony Acid. He too was very pleased with the plug and play ease and found the learning curve for general line in recording easy. Like me though, he said that using the handful of advanced features is slightly difficult and there is not much material on that.

The box is incredibly responsive as it is bus powered. The box can run off of pure USB power, but I prefer to also have an adapter so as to not put too much strain on the USB connection/computer.

The one thing that is very sketchy about the description of this box is that it says 4x4, which leads you to believe you can do 4 simultaneous recording inputs. Upon further review, the box itself can handle 2 mono/single line ins, or it can record a stereo track for two instruments (two mics/ins each hence the 4x4).

I was a bit disappointed by this and I begrudged the fact that M-Audio didn't make this very clear but in retrospect I still enjoy this product for what it can do.

I've been using this box for about 3 years. I've used it to record 4 piece bands or even just myself alone.

What I like most about it is that once you really fully understand how to use the box, there is a lot you can use it for. However, like I've stated before the learning curve is very fast in the beginning but then you hit a bit of a wall once you try to move beyond the simple line in features. If M-Audio had better support on these features, I believe this box would be widely accepted by many in all areas of recording.

I paid roughly 250 dollars American for this piece of equipment. I looked extensively at other models. Tascam recorders, other M-Audios, Line 6 and many more. What really turned me on to this box was the dual purpose inputs on the front and phantom power. I know that sounds pretty standard on some recorders but with my small budget this seemed to be the most bang for my buck.

For the price, which I think has dropped down to about 200 dollars due to the release of it's big brother, I think it's not a bad box. Definitely a great tool to use if you are starting out in the world of recording.

Knowing what I know now, I wish I saved a bit more to get something that has more line-ins or simultaneous recording. Those aspects seem to be absolutely golden when it comes to purchasing these, the more the better. But in reality, if you don't know how to utilize them you are better of with starting with something like this.

Ultimately, I have no regrets in buying this product. It has served me incredibly well and I have gotten my money's worth out of it. I wouldn't be so hasty to recommend it right of the bat to somebody but I believe that within the 300 dollar price range this tool is hard to beat.
Marshall92 10/30/2008

Marshall92's review

M-audio’s fast track pro is a 4x4 Mobile Audio/Midi interface with preamps. It ships with Abelton live 4, which is a great software for someone just beginning in the world of recording music. I use Windows XP with a fairley new, cheap Dell computer and it runs flawlesly.What’s great about this particular interface is the extremely low latency; I have been using for over one year and have barely noticed any. The fast track pro has two front Mic/line inputs, which is something I love about it, there is no need to have to lurk behind the interface, the inputs are right there. Eight beside them is the level knob and two very handy buttons, the Mic/line button and the pad button, for when the signal you are trying to record is a little bit too much on the loud side. Beside that are the Mic volume knob and the Output volume knob, which I always found very convienient, because it sucks to have to get up and adjust the volume on your monitors, with the fast track pro you can do it without any effort. The last things on the front panel are the headphone volume knob and input. It really sucks that there is only one headphone input, but it’s something you can live with. On the back panel there s the midi inputs and outputs, 2 TRS inputs for outboard gear and 2 TRS outputs for your monitors. There are also the S/PIDF ins and outs, and the phantom power switch, which I really wish they put on the front panel because it gets annoying having to go behind the interface and switch it on and off. Last but not least is the power button and the AC input.

The Fast Track Pro is a bit difficlut to install, it took me a good 2 hours to do. Not because of compatibility issues though, the instructions in my personal opinion were just very hard to follow. Once you do get it up and going though, it works perfectly. I love the fast track pro and will not want a new interface for a long time.

GETTING STARTED

The M-Audio drivers are super stable, i have not had a problem with them once since buying the fast Track Pro. They are never updated really, which i like, less work for me. I use the Fast Track Pro with Abelton Live 7 and it works great.You can record two tracks at the same time, and get almost no latency.

I have used the Fast Track Pro for about 2 years. My favorite part about it is the super low latency, the only downside to the Fast Track Pro for me is there are only 2 TRS outputs on the back so i can't have surround sound monitoring. I did not try other models before the Fast Track pro, however i am totaly convinced it is the best for the money and i would make the same choiuce to buy it over and over again.
Petit zicos 05/14/2014

Petit zicos's review (This content has been automatically translated from English) "Very good for the price occas for small zicos"

Much has already been said about this card but it is mainly for the view that overall I am writing this review because I want to share my usage a bit apart for whoever wants to.
NB: I did not invent itself. This is an expert who told me the pipe. I filled qd even other sections of the reviews for the fun and say what I think but it is not the most important. Go see the overall opinion on you're in a hurry.

Cheap occas.
Simple
Very easy to use
PC XP. behind a small personal mixer for the "all comers" but with a console pro borrowing for records that require miking much better.

I record two tracks left and right
never planted to date
I use free software that suit me very well.
I also have a eom version of Cubase that is doing pretty well whatever it was hard to configure the monitoring; due to my inexperience with this product, but not serious I'm not a pro (Fast Track, for that matter although it is marked above).

GETTING STARTED

Very easy installation. it worked the first time!

As the PC allocated to music and only music (or word or other games or even internet etc ...) is still on XP for a while everything is fine for installation.

I ½ for 1 year.
I worked a bit with a Tascam U.S. 122 Not much to say very very bad about it.; but nothing special either. I was in the entry level. And I got my money. And I'm still with FTP but there is a little more than the others did not.

One day on a record, I arrived at the edge preamps. I want to express here is that the sound was not as good as I expected. Since listening to a stereo set pretty decent (I will not do here to the measures that we do not hear in the ear), but realizes no misconception local guru from polluting our appreciation there has a something indefinable missing. And it is certainly not because of 220v cords of all only a few malignant imagining that putting the price of a solitaire it will change something. Duh! Yet in this thing there still has "commerçeux" who still rubbing their hands.

After much research and considering my budget, I was advised to a Fast Track Pro.
Not that the preamps are better. They are the same as in most of these good materials markets mediocre.
Parenthesis:
Ah yes like "Fast Track Pro"! "Pro"! Huh? Oh I think this material has never set foot in a studio called "PRO" and is not even close to doing troubleshooting. And since there is more, its successors the same price and its cousins ​​from other brands: ditto!
The real power of this tool is rather precisely that for which I am quite happy to have followed the advice received: there 2 rear jacks insert!
Yes then? Well simply used the feedback input jack with a stereo "arranged" so that the insert of the "FTP" output is carefully isolated. In this way you end up with a direct acquisition card on the A / D converters without these "famous" preamp. Then charge you to lend you (or lease) a gear mixer with the preamp you want.
Of course if you can afford to buy you these consoles that cost an arm with real good preamp., I doubt that you came to visit the forum and review the Fast Track Pro. And you is not even reading all this.
So just for that subtle little sound card features I put a good score.
It helps if you find the ad hoc gear upstream to record a very nice thing to listen.
Otherwise the rest for the "all comers" zic oxen between friends who are laughing well and that will never see the top 50; or even the top 500 who do not have a budget stretch to infinity then there is this card very well.
I even posted a forum to ask if qq'un knew install both in parallel to record four tracks. but no response to date.
if yes I will seek another for this facility to make internal preamps when the goal the request (for pure acoustic).
zic very good to one and all

Ps: my ideal: I recorded a clarinet or a classical guitar. I close my eyes. I ask zicos playing his art. I listen to the recording. I wish I did not hear any difference. ah yeah i know ..... in another life when I'm Bill Gates. ah ben? there is no zic? yeah! but he afford all the gear he wants without touching the soldering iron.
But that does not make it my idol and I do not want more than that. I think he does not know how lucky he is even if it is with his job he got there.
Morby 01/29/2014

Morby's review (This content has been automatically translated from English) "Good and bad at the same time"

I bought the Fast Track Pro early 2012 (it has 2 years) to replace my old ASIO sound card, preferring USB external format in view of the possible purchase of a laptop computer later.
Its 2 instrument input / microphone with phantom power, its small size, its MIDI ports and direct supply by USB (without external power supply) were perfect for my current and future needs.

When I wanted to buy early 2012 it took a while I try to find a dealer who still had in stock. I would have bought something else, but at this time there were other bcp's most expensive cards. I finally found my happiness in SonoVente, and the seller told me "it's normal that you do not find anywhere else, this model is no longer manufactured and we bought the entire stock of M- Audio "

I mainly use Guitar Rig and Cubase. Latency is decent, quality preamps and converters suit me. So far I'm really satisfied, this card is ideal for small guitarist I am.

The driver ... it is the problem! Initially I had a PC Core2Duo E-8400-3 GHz with 4 GB of RAM and Windows 7 Pro 32-bit, I used the driver provided on the CD with the sound card (version 6.0.2).
After about 24 hours my system "lost" the road map, which forced me to turn off and on the card to be functional again. So I went fishing on the manufacturer's website last driver: Version 6.0.7
6.0.7 This version has not corrected the problem was persistent. I did not go further than that, a small on / off the sound card per day is not death ...

I recently changed gear: Core i5 / Ogo Ram / Windows 7 Pro x64. I checked the manufacturer's website if a newer version of the driver was out in the meantime: nada!
So I installed my version 6.0.7 since it 32/64 bit compatible. And there is the drama! no sound in Guitar Rig nor in Cubase: (

So I push my further investigations on the net, and I found a forum that talks about newer versions of driver.je back with difficulty the track and ended up getting a 6.1.10 release.
How is it that Avid or M-Audio have not posted this version from their site? Is this version is a Beta version?? Strange anyway, especially for a card that was apparently stopped production.

Anyway, I installed the driver and 6.1.10 miracle, I sound! I believe saved me with a big sigh of relief, only remains to wait and see if this driver is stable over time ... and this is not the case! After about 24 hours, the system still loses the road map, except that when I turn it off and back on, I have a sound that Brrrrrrrrrrrr!!

In the [panel config]> [Uninstall program] I tried the "repair"
And then it works, the sound card becomes functional and normal sound. Since I am forced to reset my sound card + daily repair driver ...
awesome, I love: (

GETTING STARTED

I decided to contact M-Audio support in order to see if they were not in their drawers a newer version of the driver that the 6.1.10 version I had procured another site than their own.

Response M-Audio a week after ". The Fast Track is Being Manufactured and supported by Avid You can touch 'em through www.avid.com"

I makes me the AVID site and there galley, the site (in English) is not at all clear. Drivers side they only provide versions for Mac and side support, it seems that we should "buy a ticket" to gain access to support, not even a contact link to send them an email. Wholesale their drivers are crap and more should I pay for software support? Where are we going?

In the end I'm pissed!
For a brand that prides itself on making professional products I really feel they have been taken for a fool. I therefore decided not to push my investigations before a steady driver sentenced to fix my daily driver until I replace the sound card when it is dying.

Before I used a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum bought around 2000/2001 (PCI Rack + external card), not really a map adapted to the zic fluke but she bore the standard ASIO when I had the opportunity Discover computer music avoiding me to invest earlier in a sound card really dedicated to the Zic. This one ended up grilling after 10 years of loyal service, which is why I bought the Fast Track Pro, which showed a clear improvement in sound quality and a good ability to manage projects with 30 or Cubase 40 tracks and a multitude of virtual instruments based samples (so heavy compared to synthesized sounds).

After 2 years of use I am always satisfied with the sound quality of this card, I urinate copiously against M-Audio (which kindly returns the baby to Avid without getting wet) and especially on Avid I conchie policy support .

So those (or those) who would buy this card, buy something else!
At the time of this writing (January 2014), other brands have released USB external sound card to the same capacity and number of entry in a price range € 120/180, go rather squint their side and AVID flee, at least for their consumer line.