or
Create an account

or

Thread Question about 18i8 extra outputs with DAW (for send/return external effects)

• 7 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 4 followers
1 Question about 18i8 extra outputs with DAW (for send/return external effects)
Hello everybody!

I have a question regarding my Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 audio interface.

On the back of the machine there are 2 monitor outputs, I am interested in purchasing an external effects pedal to use as a send/return effect in my DAW (Ableton). I know I need extra outputs to be able to process the effect as a send/return, and I am aware that my interface is supposed to handle "8 outs". But only two line ouputs are on the back.

Is there a way to connect maybe an Octopre device and use the outputs on there for this purpose? Or are the other 6 capable outputs on my 18in8 of a different kind?

In all, do I need to buy an 18in20 to be able to use those effects as send/returns? Or can I hook up more outputs to my 18in8?

Thank you very much for reading and responding! Cheers!
Yes. The focusrite website says you can expand with an octo pre interface. It uses the adat port on the back.

In order to use the octo pre as insert you need to connect 2 optical cables. One for the inputs and one for the outputs.

Example :
Instrument input 1
Daw send to adat port 1
Effect pedal or unit
Daw return via adat port 1
= Total sound

-Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

Thank you for your answer!

I do have another question, however :

Isn't there only a single optical input/output (S/PDIF) on my 18i8, allowing me only one extra input/output? Maybe I am wrong.

Not sure if my 18i8 can handle extra ADAT outs... that is the main dilemma.

I am ultimately interested in adding more than one extra output.. would need at least 5 or 6 more. Can I use all of them with this technique or another one?

Thank you very much again!!
For example, it lists here that the 18i8 does not have 8 ADAT outs, compared to the 18i20 which does in these descriptions :

18i8 https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-18i8/inputs-and-outputs

18i20 https://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-18i20/inputs-and-outputs

That is my problem... I do not believe I can add ADAT outputs to my 18i8, unlike the 18i20. Am I wrong?

Thank you :)
Uh...
I guess I missed something.
Your both right, it supports only adat in.
So you can add extra inputs not extra outputs

Sorry

Hi Tryce,

I just want to help and clear some of this up. You are correct and I think Angelie has confused the 18i8 for an 18i20 or something similar as the 18i8 does not have an optical output, only an optical input so you can only get the 8 optical inputs and do not have any optical outputs on this device. Furthermore just to clear up one of your previous questions the 8 outputs on the 18i8 are monitor outputs 1 & 2 on the back, outputs 3 & 4 are the first headphone port, outputs 5 & 6 are the second headphone port then the final remaining 2 outputs are from the SPDIF Output which is stereo.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Alex Bull // Focusrite Tech Support
I hope everything worked out for you.. :)

[ Post last edited on 09/19/2017 at 08:04:54 ]

hey im new here and i have a some what of the same question im trying to set up my headphone mix by using 5-6 and 7-8 but i dont know how to set it up anybody know how