or
Create an account

or

Thread Can I control a Scarlett 18i20 (2nd gen, usb) with a MIDI controller?

• 3 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Can I control a Scarlett 18i20 (2nd gen, usb) with a MIDI controller?
Recently bought an 18i20 and love it so far, but I found myself wanting a feature that doesn't seem to be integrated into the bundled Focusrite Control software.

I have a small MIDI controller (Samson Graphite MF8 Mini) which has 8 faders, mute buttons, etc.
I'd like to use this controller as a "virtual console" to the Scarlett, and adjust the levels/mute of the channels before they hit my DAW (Reason).

In other words, I'm looking for a mixer-type application that can take (at least) 8 individual audio signals from the Focusrite, and allow me to control this application with the Graphite so I can mute channels / adjust levels. Then the audio should route out of that application (as 8 individual audio signals) and into Reason.

Does anyone have experience with this? Just trying to get by without buying a hardware console for now.

Sam
Hi CapedSam,

Unfortunately it is not possible currently to control the control software via MIDI. That said this is something we are considering for future product designs as we do get these requests from time to time.

The best thing for you to do would be to control Reason using the Samson via HUI, I know this is possible in Logic so it's most likely possible in Reaper. You may want to reach out to Samson directly to ask them how the best way to set this up is as I've just had a quick search of YouTube and although there is a video about how to set this up in Logic there isn't once specifically for Reason.

I hope this helps and we'll keep your product request in mind.

Best regards,

Alex Bull // Focusrite Tech Support
If you are on OSX, I have a solution for you. I've coded an open source App that helped me Midi Map volume sliders form Focusrite Control. For now you can only control the volumes (not the mute or the actual input gains)

Here it is: https://github.com/vargaradu/Focusrite-Midi-Control

[ Post last edited on 07/14/2018 at 15:41:59 ]

I've now launched the app for both Mac & Windows, can be found here: https://www.raduvarga.com/software/focusrite-midi-control