or
Create an account

or

Thread Audio Dropout on Win7

• 6 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Audio Dropout on Win7
Hello, i am writing here because i am really desperate, here's the issue.

I put the latency mon report at then end, image comming soon.

Win 7 sp1 64 bit
intel core i5 2320 3.00 ghz
6g ddr3 (one 2 gb and one 4 gb)
gtx 650 ti

At random interval my USB scarlett 2i4 is stopping completly, droping out, but a few second before you can hear the sound crackle, shutter and become laggy and just disconnect itself (Well the scarlett is still connected with a green light in the front but windows stop it from working.)

I tried a lot of things: STarting by drivers for every hardware on my computer, setting like audio enhencement and stuff like that, microsoft update and i even formated my windows. Each time i tried something, I looked at LATENCYMON and the same faulty drivers are showing up, guess wich one

USBPORT.sys and ATAPORT.sys

So the cause is not a virus, neither a usb device ( disconnecting every usb device and still using a lot of cpu.)

I switched gpu two month ago and everything was fine. (except i ran it with and under powered psu of 350 watt instead of the 400 reccomended.)

Then i had few weird windows crash from time to time, they were really random, i was either gaming or doing something else.

Soon after the crash i started losing the audio randomly as i explained.

I tried switching gpu to my old one = no difference
Deactivated wireless card = no difference
Switching individual both ram to another slot = no difference

Only thing i suspect could be bad RAM slot on my motherboard, or a motherboard problem. Because i tried literraly everything else so im asking for idea before i go on and by another motherboard and possibly have the same problem.

Thanks.

LATENCY MON REPORT

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system seems to have difficulty handling real-time audio and other tasks. You may experience drop outs, clicks or pops due to buffer underruns. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:00:59 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name: GRAVES-PC
OS version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601 (x64)
Hardware: CM6630_CM6730_CM6830., ASUSTeK Computer INC.
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz
Logical processors: 4
Processor groups: 1
RAM: 6126 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed: 2993,0 MHz
Measured CPU speed: 2011,0 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 1975,310331
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 4,074212

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 158,736403
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 0,789686

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 104,594053
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: ataport.SYS - ATAPI Driver Extension, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0,076316
Driver with highest ISR total time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0,167805

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 85146
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 690,135316
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: ataport.SYS - ATAPI Driver Extension, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0,082552
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: rspLLL64.sys - Resplendence Latency Monitoring and Auxiliary Kernel Library, Resplendence Software Projects Sp.

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0,277287

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 358010
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 1
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: chrome.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 47
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 31
Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs): 31180,738055
Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 0,074738
Number of processes hit: 3

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1,651204
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 104,594053
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 0,402196
CPU 0 ISR count: 85146
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 690,135316
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 0,637283
CPU 0 DPC count: 350276
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0,573143
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0,0
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0,0
CPU 1 ISR count: 0
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 132,275643
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 0,008066
CPU 1 DPC count: 1475
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0,202746
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0,0
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0,0
CPU 2 ISR count: 0
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 88,228867
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 0,009478
CPU 2 DPC count: 3175
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 0,534795
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0,0
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0,0
CPU 3 ISR count: 0
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 116,27130
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 0,009774
CPU 3 DPC count: 3085
Hi Benjamin,

Sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your 2i4.
It does seem like an unusual issue, have you looked at the USB power management options on your PC?

Have you tried another USBB port, some are internally hubbed and can cause issues. Please try each one and monitor the performance of the 8i6.

Please ensure you have disabled power saving mode for USB devices:

In the device manager (Start > Control Panel > System and Security > System > Device Manager), in the Universal Serial Bus controllers section, right click each USB Root Hub, choose Properties > Power Management and untick the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option.

USB Power

If using a Laptop, it could also be worth checking the general power management of your computer:
Go to Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Power Options.
Set the Power Scheme to High Performance (if this setting is not available, click on Show additional plans first). Then click on Change plan settings. On the next page set both Turn off the display and Put the computer to sleep to Never.

Power Options

Then click Change advanced power settings. In the window that opens make sure you have the following settings:
Hard disc > Turn off hard disk after > Setting (Minutes) = Never
Sleep > Sleep after > Setting (Minutes) = Never
USB settings > USB selective suspend setting > Setting = Disabled
Display > Turn off display after > Setting (Minutes) = Never
Processor power management > Minimum processor state > Setting = 100%
Processor power management > Maximum processor state > Setting = 100%

Please note, not all options may be available.

It could also be worth checking for any available USB/Chipset driver updates for your motherboard.

You may also want to try deactivating all your other devices within device manager such as Wireless card (which you have tried), graphics card etc.

If you still experience issues, please contact the Support team via the contact form on our website and we can troubleshoot further with you.

Best regards
Simon
Hey, thanks for the reply. Could this be the culprit? i Literally tried everything.

http://www.computershopper.com/shoptalk/desktops/intel-identifies-sandy-bridge-chipset-flaw-desktop-and-laptop-delays-expected-as-problem-addressed

I'm so tired of this problem, my next step was to buy a motherboard because i tought it was the problem. But after reading that it could be my CPU ''The flaw can lead, over time, to a slowdown in the performance of drives connected to the PC's Serial ATA ''

And since the main reason diagnosed by latencymon is:

Ataport.sys
Usbport.sys
afd.sys

Do i have a faulty sandybridge CPU ? i wish not :(((
Hello,

I came here just to post about a very similar problem but on Saffire Pro 24DSP (firewire) and saw this topic

I've ha this problem for years. Basically, after a couple of hours the audio becomes full of static, and some time after that the audio cuts off completely. The only way to restore the audio I found is to restart the device (or the PC), and whenever the device gets restarted all the programs that use it must also be restarted so it gets rather annoying after a while. Sometimes the audio will cut out only in one ear. I tried eliminating all other software running in the background, but this problem has remained consistently.

My PC: Windows 7 64bit, CPU: Intel i7 3770K, memory: 16GB RAM, video: Radeon HD7950, board: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R,
The interface is connected to a firewire card I bought from a local store, not sure what brand. I want to blame the firewire card but I wanted to hear people's opinions first.

[ Post last edited on 04/24/2014 at 15:42:02 ]

Hi guys,

With regards to Firewire card issues, please see the following link:

https://global.focusrite.com/answerbase/how-can-i-tell-if-my-firewire-chipset-is-compatible-with-my-interface

The provided OHCI tool will give a good idea of compatibility for your card, however this is not a full-proof test unfortunately. If still unsure, the articles attached PDF file will give some brands and models of Firewire cards that have been tested as fully compatible with our products.

With regards to Motherboard or CPU issues, all I can suggest I'm afraid is testing the interface on another computer that does not have the same hardware as your setup. Does this throw up the same issues?

Best regards
Simon // Focusrite Technical Support
I tried changing the power options and for 2 days I had no problems, but I think that was just temporary luck because now it's right back to how it was.

OHCI Tool returned "Compatible, no known issues." I guess I'll just have to get another card and see...
Hi Jedo,

A good quick test, if you are unable to locate a computer with a Firewire card listed in our article, is to try your interface on a friends Mac computer. We know these Firewire chipsets to be fine, so this may go someway to confirming it's the firewire card causing issues rather than the interface.

Best regards
Simon