or
Create an account

or

Thread Route mono mic to out L+R?

• 8 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 4 followers
1 Route mono mic to out L+R?
What I'm trying to do is get a signal from both left and right when listening. When monitoring via interface zero latency its fine, in a DAW its easy to change, but for something like Skype, Twitch and other applications that are not pro audio they don't let you choose your mic signal options leaving you only with input 1+2 which is left only if your connected with XLR like in my case here. I understand my mic is mono and my voice is too, but is it possible to route it so I can have two signals, 1 left and 2 right?

I get this when trying to change it from Windows.
1uN8UPU.png

Im using the Scarlett 18i20 with MixControl.

This will save me going into software and editing the channels by duplicating having a normal audio stream.:!:

[ Post last edited on 11/06/2014 at 18:04:41 ]

Hi,
I believe that the 18i20 is only supporting main out 1/2 and a fixed input for non audio applications. So basically stereo only.

I don't think it is possible to tell the drives to split up a mono signal into a stereo bus as dual mono

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

Good morning,

Thanks for the question.
Unfortunately it's not possible to achieve what you want to do. This is a combination of Skypes restrictions and our interfaces not really being built with that functionality in mind (although of course there is some support there). As you mention, most audio specific programs (that utilise the ASIO driver) will afford you many more options with regards to inputs/outputs.

Sorry that I couldn't be of any further help there.
Please do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Simon // Focusrite Technical Support
Quote from THA-REAPER:
I understand my mic is mono and my voice is too

:-D:bravo::bravo::bravo: lol mono voice
:-P hahaha yes mono
unless he is drunk. Then it is stereo :-D

:non: Meaning my voice is not bi directional and cannot produce a stereophonic signal. If I had two mouths going into a stereo mic and the two signals going into an interface then possibly. Think about it.

Anyway before I get something like a Blue Yeti mic. Would this solve my dilemma?

$_1.JPG
That may work with dynamic mics.
The signal will change a bit due the impedance chance
On the mic side. The output of the mic sees a double "resistor" load.

However a caution is at place here.
This CAN NOT: if you need phantom power.
The first mic amp will/can/may blowup the second mic amp.

If not mistaken, the yeti needs phantom power
Unless you have the usb version.

[ Post last edited on 11/07/2014 at 23:32:18 ]

Yep the USB version is what I was going for if I'm SOL. I read it doesn't sound as good the non USB version.

Okay I didn't mention I have a Tube MP Studio v3. I needed a better signal to noise ratio from the pres of the 18i20. http://artproaudio.com/art_products/signal_processing/signal_channel_tube_preamps/product/tube_mp-studio_v3/

I was planning on putting the Y cable from the out of the Tube MP and using the 48v from there and into mic inputs 1 + 2 of the 18i20. In theory it should work out fine if I don't use the 48v from the 18i20. I need some clarification though.

To what you were saying about blowing the amps. Would that be because of the 48v button shooting phantom power to mic inputs 1-4 and the Y cable getting 48v from both inputs 1 + 2 resulting in 96v or power loop?

I'm learning as I go. I'm used to recording via DAW or an audio editor mainly and not so much else on PC. Excuse me if I appear lost.
Normally if man uses a mixer both mic inputs will deliver 48v phantom power into two mics.

If you use one mic and a y-cable you would fed power to the mic but also to the other mic pre amp. So this bad and the same for plugging the y-cable in 2 scarlett mic inputs.

However if you have a separate mic pre amp which provides the power to the mic your good. The output of the separate mic pre does not provide phantom power to the scarlett inputs so... Technicly this is possible but you have to make sure no phatom power is applied to the scarlett mic inputs. Or elsr you will blow the scarlett inputs and the preamp output.

Basicly yes this setup can work.
But here also due the dubbling of input inpedance the mic can sound a bit thin / different.

Edit: don't worry, we all here to help people with their questions.

So:

Mic -> preamp in {48v to mic }
Preamp out -> y-cable
Y- cable -> scarletts inputs 1/2 { no 48v }

But if your mic pre has a line output
I would choose a y-cable with jacks and plug these into the scarlett line inputs.

Here the change of forgetting something and damage your equipment is much smaller

AND NO... the power will not go to 96v
But the electronics inside are build for giving 48v and not recieving it.
Think of an adapter for you mobile phone.
It gives you power. If you would be able to send power into the output of your adapter it will be damaged.

Good luck.
And keep asking if you have any doubts...

- Angelie

[ Post last edited on 11/08/2014 at 01:22:59 ]