or
Create an account

or

Thread Scarlett 18i8 line input need gain ?

• 5 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Scarlett 18i8 line input need gain ?
Scarlett 18i8 - When connecting a line level signal to the combi inputs on the front panel, via a TRS and TS cable, The input level is very low. When connected to the line inputs on the back, the levels are proper line level. I have to turn the input gain up almost 3/4 of the way to get the same level on the front combi inputs as the line level inputs on the back.
is this Alright ? I do not want to damage the preamps , connecting a line level signal and turning up the gain.
Am I using the unit correctly by turning up the gain for a line level signal on the front inputs ?
Good morning,

Within Mix Control, please can you ensure that you have Inputs 1 & 2 selected as Line Level.
It is quite normal for the inputs on the front of the unit to require a higher gain level with inputs such as condenser mics etc. These inputs obviously have varying gain levels, whereas the rear inputs had a fixed gain level.
As long as you are not clipping the interface, then you should not be able to damage the unit with your inputs.

Please let me know how you get on.

Simon // Focusrite Technical Support
Thank You for the response.
Inputs 1 and 2 are set to line, within mix control.
"It is quite normal for the inputs on the front of the unit to require a higher gain level with inputs such as condenser mics etc"
Do You also mean regular Line inputs from a synth for example ? I understand that microphones go through preamps to receive Gain, but I have not come across line inputs requiring gain on my previous interface.
so to get line level inputs on the front, I took a line out from a synth and connected it to the back (fixed gain) and measured it on the peak meter on my DAW. Then connected the same line out to the front line input and adjusted the gain till it read the same level on my DAW as the rear line in.
Is this the right way to get a line level signal on the front variable gain combi inputs ?
Thanks
Good afternoon,

Apologies, I think I understand you now.
It sounds as though you are operating the 18i8 correctly. Essentially when the input is set to Mic, Line or Instrument, this is just referring to the level of signal the input is expecting to see. As such, it's quite normal to need to increase the gain on the combo inputs (when set to line) in order to match the fixed gain on the rear line inputs.
As you're no doubt aware, you're simply looking for any clipping on the Scarlett or within your DAW, if you avoid this, you should not have any issues at all.

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Simon // Focusrite Technical Support
Alright I understand Now. Thanks for the clarification and assistance Simon :)
Hi!
I got similar problem. I'm using a Scarlett 18i20 2nd generation and SPL GoldMike pre. Gain input is set properly on the SPL, but connected to the rear Scarlett input is missing about 10dBs. How do I set the rear panel inputs on Scarlett to line gain? SPL is connected to Scarlett via XLR-> JACK unbalanced cable. Please help!