or
Create an account

or

Thread Focusrite 6i6 - S/PDIF issue/question

• 3 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 Focusrite 6i6 - S/PDIF issue/question
Just purchased a 6i6 and I am loving this interface -- so much better than the Steinberg I was using.

Here's my issue: I'm using a Kemper guitar amp modeler that sends out not only my guitar signal, but also MP3 backing tracks that flow into the Kemper via my computer. I want to be able to record as:

Kemper (guitar + backing track) -- > 6i6 ---> Reaper

I've had very good success with:

Kemper XLR --> 6i6 XLR

However, when I use S/PDIF, all I get is the Kemper guitar signal -- the backing track doesn't register in MixControl.

When I'm using XLR, the backing track moves the indicator bars in MixControl before I start strumming. But with S/PDIF, the bars don't move until I hit my guitar, and not surprisingly with S/PDIF the recording in Reaper has no backing track.

Why not just stick to XLR? Well, the XLR recording is awesome, but the S/PDIF recording just has that little bit more oomph -- seems like the bottom end is a touch beefier, which is important because I'm playing droptuned Sabbath songs.

Any idea why the 6i6 isn't picking up the backing track when I use S/PDIF?

I'm using Windows 7, if that's important. When playing, I monitor with headphones plugged into the Kemper

Thanks for reading!

[ Post last edited on 11/30/2014 at 19:22:24 ]

Good afternoon,

Thanks for the post, sorry you're having some issues.
I wonder whether this may be an issue with what the Kemper sends out from the SPDIF output, this would probably depend on how/if the Kemper sends the digital output before it comps in the backing track.
That said, are you routing both channels of SPDIF into your DAW? As the Kemper may split the Guitar audio and backing track over both the SPDIF channels, you will need have a stereo track with its inputs as 5/6 or two mono tracks with their inputs as 5 & 6 respectively.
A number of the above assumptions you will need to check in the Kemper manual.

Let me know how you get on.

Best regards
Simon // Focusrite Technical Support

[ Post last edited on 12/05/2014 at 08:56:28 ]

Thanks, Simon. I do have the DAW set up for 5: S/PDIF Left and 6: S/PDIF Right. I'll go back to the Kemper manual and see if I'm missing something here -- thought I had the Kemper part right but maybe that's where my error is. I appreciate the response and again I am so happy I got that 6i6 -- even for a novice like myself I'm getting some awesome recordings right out of the box.
Please do let us know how you get on.
If you need any more help, please do drop us an email or a call:

https://uk.focusrite.com/answerbase/contact

Best regards
Simon // Focusrite Technical Support