Korg ElecTribe EMX1 user reviews
- The Elcetribe-MX is a modification / upgrade from the original Electribe, they are mainly used for dance. But in today’s music world you can find a use for it in almost any genre of music that is on the market currently. After using the Electribe EMX 1 it didn’t take me long to realize that this thing is built to last. I have dropped it a few times and it kept working just find. Probably because of the metal chassis that are keeping it solid. Most of the buttons are back lit so you can use it in a club setting or in a dark room without any problems. And the LCD screen is also back lit, and it is easy on the eyes. No need to worry about straining your eyes here.
- All the functions are pretty easy to access. Not really too many submenus. You will probably need the manual though unless you are coming from the first version of the Electribe, if you are coming from the earlier version you can probably figure most of the stuff out just on your own. Especially if you hate manuals like most of us do! But if you need the manual it is pretty easy to understand. Pretty standard structure and its not too thick.
- The sound of it is great, no complaints in that area. They could have put a little more work into developing the reverb dial though. When you receive the Electribe it will show up with 3 songs on it I think if I am remembering correctly. The effects that you can use for your songs are overall great, you wont be disappointed with them at all. It will really give your music the final touches to make it pop and stand out.
- Overall Opinion
- Overall, the Korg ElecTribe EMX1 is well worth the investment in your music. With the ability to use tap tempo so set your tempo eternally you can go wrong. This unit is great for live shows. A good friend of mine has been using this unit for a long time with his live performances. You will have complete control of your music with this unit. I recommend it and a lot of people do as well. Control every parameter of your sound with the Korg Electribe EMX1
- The Korg Electribe EMX-1 is great, it really doesn’t take much time to get to understand. Its ready to go right out of the box. If you do need to use the manual its really straight forward. I had no issues with this at all. It has midi connections which is a must have in any of today’s studios. It also takes a smart media card which is used for a lot of other equipment so nothing special was needed for this one. Its not a very big piece of gear. Very handy and portable, I used it for about a year. I took it several places that I had to be. Its very sturdy and can take a beating.
- It has 4 output jacks, and audio imput/ MIDI in out and through, right around 20 onboard effects. But as we all know. Not all standard effects are good. So only a few of them are worth using. But there are a lot of sounds that you can use and edit with all of the knobs. Its all pretty much self explanatory.
- Sounds and effects are ok, not too many effects though. But there are a few good ones that you might use over and over.
- Overall Opinion
- This machine is great for someone in Hip Hop or Drum and Bass, it was extremely fun to use when I had it. You can use all the knobs and functions in real time and hear the changes right in front of you. I am glad with my decision to use the Korg Electribe EMX -1 . It really didn’t last long for me though, I needed more effects and more options. But it was definitely a good starting point. It was one of my first pieces of gear and I will never forget how much fun it was to use it. But once you become advanced you will have no more use for the Korg Electribe EMX-1 any more..
- Very limited features. The key about the EMX-1 is its ease of use. Again this is a GREAT "first synth". Noobies won't be bogged down, it definitely has a low learning curve.
Price paid: 800$ (factory price)
- This is the key here. Exceptional ease of use on the EMX-1. I really want to put a thank you out to Korg for making a synth that a noob can pick up and start making dance/techno/trance, even DnB. This is a AWESOME learning tool for new guys and will get you the basics on producing really fast. There has never been an easier starting place.
- The synthesis engine on the EMX-1 (the same as the microkorg) is a decent but lacking digital analog engine. Compared to most other analog modeling synths out there, you will be dissapointed. However, for a beginner with little knowledge of synth programming or just looking for a first step synth, it delivers. The sound can sound very "digital" at times, very "tinny" and metallic. It takes some really good tweaking to get a phat analog warmth to it, even though korg puts a vacuum tube to add "warmth". Its hard but it IS possible.
- Overall Opinion
- Very durable, metal/steel plating, sturdy construction. Only complaint is the cheap plastic knobs.
The love I feel for this synth is the kind of love one feels for a first kiss or first love. This synth was my first kiss with music! Brings back a lot of memories. Like all first loves, your time with this synth (if you have the talent and drive) is limited and you will soon move on to more powerful stuff, but my first song was created on this and I will never forget what the EMX-1 gave me; the gift to make music for the first time in my life!
Originally posted on FutureProducers.com
Posted by: I_watch_stars ( 3-, 2005)
- The EMX is neither more nor less than a groovebox with a rhythm section after most of these legendary Electribes with a synthesis part concentrated on five sides.
1 input and 4 outputs switchable in Mono Line / microphone, headphone jack and a MIDI trio.
Port for smart media front to store presets and patterns.
The new smart media by replacing the SD CARD, useful for ESX but nothing justifies much memory for EMX.
A trio of effects is available that can be combined (1 +2 +3 or 2 +2 or 1 +3)
The sounds of the rhythmic part are quite numerous (more than 200) and the pitch can be changed via the envellope etc ... but no filter, a pity because even one for the whole rhythmic part was a plus, but nothing prevents the filter output!
The sounds are part of the Summary changed at will, as it is the strength of the EMX, but I regret that this synthesis is super easy (via two parameters only), but I was still surprised by its sounds ...
16 types are available with a few times through combos, a subtractive library of 76 classic forms of waves (keyboards, guitar / bass, and even drum kit) and a summons for Mic / line input!
The sequencer is quite handy and has been upgraded from earlier versions and allows longer sequences.
256 patterns on a maximum of 128 steps, 32 steps, which is not bad at all.
No problems by chaining patterns, in short it is quite effective!
- The config could not be more clear as everything is within reach knob.
Only the sequencer which lacks nothing, if not a little ergonomics ...
(Sometimes seeks some editions when one is accustomed to Yamaha sequencers)
The manual, I did not read everything seems so indicated on the screen!
Becoming entangled in some brushes between the send part and send level in effect, here is simplified, but we made it!
- Sounds suit me perfectly, there is a grain of its particular and this completes a great VA for example, which I think will not sound the same at all.
Some mixtures are worth visiting, and are not found in any other synth.
It was the subtractive, additive, formant, PCM, single or dual wave form, VPM, cross modulation, ring modulation, a simplified version of the synthesis of WaveStation, and other combinations ...
The filters are most effective with the drive, and I much prefer the color of resonance compared to the MC 808 for example, which sounds a bit too cheap!
We have the LP, HP, BP and GMP + standard, they do their job, and we are glad they are there.
LFO meanwhile is very good and responsive (again much more reactive than the MC 808, but good when you know that you can assign 8 different LFOs per preset in ROLAND, we can easily guess that such complexity demand for the resource!
Special mention for the assignment of the LFO to synthesis parameters, again this is very well seen and it allows sounds Electribe out from the crowd!
The "synthesis" to play chords is seen ... but why not have available a polyphonic part 3, 4, 5 see sounds? Which would have avoided playing the same chord throughout the song ... !
The effects are quite good, especially the delays! Filters rajoutent opportunities for synthesis but also allow to benefit the rhythm.
Modulations such as chorus and flanger, the ring mod (and yes even ° °) the talking mod, phaser, distortion decimator and still decorate your sounds, but if you can add an external effect, it may be not luxury!
Because "in effect," the reverb is pretty ... cold, and EQ part bland!
The lamps are for their "dangerous" for your speakers (or worse, your entire audio system ^ ^) Exploitable thoroughly yes, but the volume,-_-)
- Overall Opinion
- I use it for low end, but actually quite fast around!
That said, even if the rhythm is quite lacking (for it was not bad then) The synthesis section allows long hours triturages so certain combinations reveal its possibilities!
This is my first and probably last Electribe (unless new ones are born)
I would not have fallen for another Electribe (perhaps the ER1 or the EM1?)
I bought this EMX in very good condition with 2 new for a very good price lamps, a few days after being robbed and lost all my gear, in order to console me a little!
I expected a toy, and I was not disappointed, some parameters are limited, especially in the synthesis, but the result is there and sounds can bluff more than one!
With experience, I probably would do this choice because even if I retooled since ... I keep it proudly!
- 2sortie with effect
2sortie no effect
Not editable on pc ... bp
wav bank 207 non-replaceable 9 + 5 track synth track all powered by two ValveForce tube system, which gives a very nice and even heat that makes it strength.
- Intuitive enough to start, the manual allows to use all the functions. The functions are easy to use. Some little miss still between what is said in the manual translated into French and reality, for example, the "shift" key + selecting a pattern plays the motive, open live, if you want to select without the play must have a bit of a quick hand. The MIDI implementation is almost complete, to my recollection, there is a code that I have not found NPRN.
- It is an instrument oriented electronic music, it says "Music Production Station".
For the Dub step, Korg offers a new file upload in UK_bass machine easily downloadable from their website. This reveals a lot of sound of this machine that does not deserve to end up in the cupboard.
One downside, the synth is monophonic damage.
Above, on the other hand, I love everything that comes out, it is good when the lights are properly calibrated. ^ ^
- Overall Opinion
- I use it for 2/3 years without actually tried other model. I like the price, accessible and with experience, I do it again this choice. In addition a program like live for driving with a good sound card, a system of complete and accurate monitoring, production may take another dimension, but that it is still my opinion.
- 2 x 2 outputs (one pair avk effects without the other effects)
Many editable sounds (synth wavetable ...)
Sequencer stepper or live TB
Memory very good option to save to SD card
- Easy to use for anyone who knows this type of machine ... A little more difficult for beginners but learning is done easily using the manual and videos on youtube.
- I think the focus is obviously in music electro / hip hop etc ...
Sounds that are meant to "realists" are wrong ... the machine is not made for that!
Only two assignable effects but not bad c
The sounds can be very powerful, well twisted!
- Overall Opinion
- I've had 2/3 years bought used
The sounds are very good and I especially like the ability to handle live as a TB / Roland TR
Routing possibilities are very interesting output
I had before the first A blue and black the EM allowed me to give me a hand.
I got 3 years ago for 300 € used which was a very good price at the time!
Note, however, a small problem is making taint this good balance: in fact tends to blow a fuse and stops the machine. Once repaired (thank you Artisan Sound in Marseille!) And fortified ... No problem! I lower my rating because of this!
- What connections (audio, MIDI ...)?
So I mainly use midi now.
Sometimes I use the output jack for bass lines, but the sound is not too current
How many sounds, styles available? Are they editable? Through a Utility Mac / PC?
Unfortunately, no computer editor.
At the same time is it really necessary? !
He has an effects section?
The compressor works well, the Decimator and delays are cool to use
What caractériques sequencer? ...
Step by step, binary, ternary measures 8 max.
A simple non-standard
- The general configuration is it simple?
Only used this machine is relatively simple midi must think disable filters and leave this machine in sync master.
OFFSET attention to other software.
The usual functions are they easily accessible?
The manual is clear and sufficient? ...
Manuel? ? :)
- Sounds they agree your style of music?
There are 5/6 years so, not now.
However the sequencer program is perfect for drums or intuitively its bassline from the sofa
Are they realistic?
I say no. the strings sound plastics, scrap and piano lamps almost useless for precision audio jacks.
The effects are they effective and responsive?
Yes, the electro is the minimum union
The expression is good? (Response to velocity, aftertouch to)?
No polyphony, a single velocity possible (excluding changes in volume) and the pad can very useful for composing a battery.
What are the sounds you prefer, you hate? ...
Some are really low but Crados exploitable wave.
Two or three Pad Lead, arpeggiators via a good choice of musical scale
- Overall Opinion
- How long have you been using?
Easily 6 or 8 years. I know exactly
What is so special that you like most and least?
-Ease of use
Sounds super-cheap in 2013
-Lamps unusable studio
Did you try many other models before buying it?
I was super young and it was my first machine.
With more experience in the field, this is not what I buy but it's still cool for my couch sessions
How do you rate the quality / price?
At the time this machine cost about € 900
Now it is a bread crumb used
With experience, you do again this choice? ...
For collection or a beginner yes, for non professional use
- ValveForce lamps. (Very strong, I still have the original., Made In Russia)
16 algorithms synths (I used 8-9)
Nine drum parts, five synth parts. (Miss a synth part
but we always want more ^ ^)
3 configurable effects.
Multi-mode filter with four powerful voice overdrive.
SmartMedia storage. (The new ones are SD)
Chord Oscillator (practice)
Unison mode (good for the drum n 'bass)
The arpeggiator (Supper tool!)
256 patterns and 64 songs RAM, 448 units from January to August each action.
2 12AX7. (Solid)
Internal multi-effects (three effects simultaneously).
Complete MIDI interface. (Complex)
Automatic detection of BPM. (Useful for audio in)
SmartMedia connector. (SD new)
Storing motion potentiometers and ribbon 24 memories by Reason.
Weight: 3 kg (brave beast)
- Quick application but to spend time to evolve
Keys falls on the finger after a few months!
The manual is PERFECT! Korg does not just do better. Clear and well explained with a quick start guide to rush to touch everything
However, go read tutorials on the web or watching video can be very helpful.
- I use it for: Hard-Techno Tribe, Electro, Hip-Hop, Techno, Minimal, Hard-Core .... Brief electronic music preference
She responded well and responds quickly and just! Maintenance of a potentiometer on the other hand must be regular for not damaging in the long term. They remain very strong, you just go to your heart's content!
I found over time that lack of Punsh synth ...
The Drum-Part is against good fucking. The lamps are frankly for ca.
- Overall Opinion
- more than two years ago
I try ESX and other models but but I regret my choice of EMX remains one of the least expensive for a first purchase. I acquerrais the ESX occasion because I am very satisfied with this strong brand.
I would do the same choice with the same hesitation between ESX and EMX ^ ^
Perfect for beginners or as a second acquisition.
- see previous reviews, there is enough ...
- My 17 year old son has long moved on (thankfully, otherwise I will have disinherited ...)
my 10 year old daughter mastery 99%, the rest after that piano lessons ...
my daughter 20 months explodes with the filter and resonance, I teach him to sync LFO ... must start somewhere ...
- ideal for dancing punk was deaf and brainless dog in a field full of mud with a faulty sound and much distortion (accidental distortion of course, this is just before the sound caught fire ...). PS: Besides it rains ....
- Overall Opinion
- Bought used too long ago, thinking it was a musical instrument, too much remorse for resale, I diverted to educational purposes, this is the only machine that my kids have the right touch.
Question groovebox, I played with the entire range Roland MC (I still have two that I do not play but I expect out, huge dynamic when we can exploit the gains), as well as TB and TR ( I'm old ...) and I am a huge fan of EMU XL7 I have a permanently connected ...
For an introduction to the basics of virtual synthesis to less than 10 years, I think that is a perfect tool EMX1 (my children). much more reliable and durable than the Playskool or VTech.
PS: I read pool of opinions on this gadget playmobil retarded ...
PS bis: there seems to be a bunch of tube were made with, I wish that I were a single quote ...
Ter PS: Changing the lamp is effective, you go from sound to sound shit as shit ... but is it really necessary to spoil good lamps for it?
- I would not stay on characteristics, if known.
- The use is perfect.
- Its sounds have already made many tubes on the planet, and they will make much of another.
- Overall Opinion
- I'll make it short, because it will not notice a technician, but a musician
J uses this machine for over ten years, I have bought one of the first models of its release.
C is a machine made for the creation, it uses al s instinct, it is played after some time LEARNING d just like an instrument, and the more time passes, the more you progress, the more control instinct of the machine. Improvisations can be extraordinarily alive.
The interface is perfect for hands, fingers glide, twirl,
so you can become a virtuoso.
N this is not a drum machine, it's a musical instrument, c is the true meaning of this machine, and c that's why it is a must, an indispensable companion.