Create an account

or

Thread [Getting started] The Best Open Tunings For Guitar

• 4 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 3 followers
1 [Getting started] The Best Open Tunings For Guitar
The Best Open Tunings For Guitar
Besides the standard E-A-D-G-B-E, there are lots of other alternative tunings that allow us to explore new sound horizons with our guitar. Let's review the main open tunings.

Read the article

This thread was created automatically after the publishing of an article. Feel free to post your comments here!
The author makes a mistake when describing open C tuning when he states "The Open C tuning is achieved by lowering the bottom E string to D. If we follow the authors instructions here we end up with a C9 tuning with the 9(D) in the bass or lowest note. Although this is an interesting possibility, I don't believe that it was the intention of the author. Now, obviously, to achieve a tuning of "C G C G C E", the bottom E string must be lowered two whole steps down to a "C", and when I say "bottom E string", I am referring to the string that is the lowest in pitch(Physically it is on "top" or "above" the other strings). Looks like this was just an oversight, but since this article is aimed at beginners, this should probably be addressed to avoid confusion among the uninitiated. The author correctly alluded to the fact that you will need to select heavier string gauges to use this tuning or your strings will be flapping in the breeze. Additionally, another notable tune which wasn't mentioned that uses this tuning, along with a capo, is 'Never Going Back Again' by Fleetwood Mac. I'm not trying to put anyone down, just want to correct what is probably just a typographical error. Hope this helps someone. Keep the great articles coming. :D:
Good catch. It was, indeed, a typo, and it has been corrected. Thanks! :D:
Hi, excellent article on how to get into alternate tunings.

You're right about Dylan's 'Blood On The Tracks' having some songs that use Open D or in his case Open E (which is essentially the same tuning + 2 frets). In fact every single song uses it. I'm also fairly certain that every song on that album is in the same key.
When I learned how to play the songs from that album I realised that every song is closely related in terms of chords and chord structures... In many ways it's one big long song, yet amazingly they are all unique. A fine testament to Dylan and also Open tunings which some people don't like to use because "everything sounds the same"
Quote:
I'm also fairly certain that every song on that album is in the same key.
Wow. That's wild. I have to go back and listen to that album again. It's no easy task to keep things interesting with all the songs in one key, even for Bob Dylan.