Create an account

or

Thread [Getting started] Basic Guitar Chords

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 2 followers
1 [Getting started] Basic Guitar Chords
Basic Guitar Chords
Some people may just want to learn the basic guitar chords to impress girls (or boys) on the beach or to modestly accompany themselves when singing. Whatever your reasons, here are some basic chords in case you already play another instrument or even if you are a true beginner ─ no complicated music theory involved!

Read the article

This thread was created automatically after the publishing of an article. Feel free to post your comments here!
I must say I was surprised to read an article about basic chords....I understand the need to cater to utter beginners (which I don't believe we are on AF....) but this is excessively elementary. Anyone who wants to learn basic chords just googles them and sees tabs. A paragraph per chord is borderline useless. I would have mentioned the CAGED method to truly help beginners who might not know about it, instead.

Having said that, I've played guitar for several years now, and still for the life of me can ONLY bar chords that aren't open. I can't use my thumb to hold down the low E (and A, if necessary) cleanly. I don't know if it's because my thumb is too fat, too short, too skinny, or if my joints are messed up or what, but it always, even after all these years, feels like my thumb is about to break off, and even THEN I still don't get a clean sound.....what gives?!? It's not like my guitar's neck is thick by any stretch of the imagination. Any tips? I don't understand how guitarists out there can wrap all thumbs and fingers around a guitar neck like it's a newborn baby's wrists, yet I can't do this even after years of trying :furieux::furieux:

case in point: JimmyPage197506.jpg
Quote:
I must say I was surprised to read an article about basic chords....I understand the need to cater to utter beginners (which I don't believe we are on AF....) but this is excessively elementary.

It's true that it was more basic than most of our material. Because we cater to all types of musicians, in addition to guitar players, so we thought it would be useful to provide a quick guide for those who play instruments other than guitar (or for beginning guitarists), to play some simple chords.