or
Create an account

or

Thread BEHRINGER B2031 ACTIVE SPEAKERS...STRANGE NOISE!!

• 1 comment
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 BEHRINGER B2031 ACTIVE SPEAKERS...STRANGE NOISE!!
I have had the speakers for 2 years now with no problems.
Recently I have been experiencing a strange low frequency noise coming from 1 speaker..even when the mixer is off...I have swiched cables but there is still a humming sound...PLEASE HELP!!
The 'hum noise' usually comes in two flavors, a low non-irritating drone or a slightly higher pitched buzz or 'angry insect' sound.
Electrical noises (i think it's your case since its hums even with the mixer off) are usually caused by one of two main problems: proximity or ground loops.
Proximity refers to how close one piece of equipment is to another, and the soultion is easy: move your speaker.
Ground loops hums are more difficult to track down, i shall copy/paste now an article i found some time ago hoping it will be of some use.

---------------
"In an audio situation, the first suspect in our hunt would be the power amp or the receiver that is driving the loudspeaker. To see if the power amp or the receiver is the culprit, turn them off, disconnect its inputs and turn it back on again. Go back to the speaker and place your ear in close proximity to see if the hum is still there. If it is, then you have a problem with your power amp or receiver and you should seek help from its manufacturer.

1. If the hum/buzz goes away when you remove the inputs to the power amp, your next step will be to reconnect the amp and move further down the chain. If you were working with a receiver or an integrated amplifier, you will need to jump to step 4. If you have a preamp, or processor that is feeding the power amp, your next step would be to disconnect all inputs to the preamplifier or processor. Once these are disconnected, and the preamp or processor is connected only to the power amplifier, turn the system on and again, listen for hum. Should the hum now appear, it is a problem with your preamp or processor or their interaction with the power amp. Before returning the preamp or processor to the manufacturer, try a cheater plug to break a ground loop. Cheater plugs are simple devices that convert a three prong AC plug into a two prong AC plug and in the act of converting three prongs, to two prongs, they disconnect the ground from the wall socket. Try one of these on the preamp, or the power amp, or both.

2. If you determine that there is still no hum present when the preamp, processor or receiver is connected with no inputs, then selectively begin plugging in your various inputs one at a time. After each connection, check for hum until you discover the humming culprit.

3. VCR's, surround processors, and any device that is connected to a television cable or satellite dish can cause a loud buzz and should always be suspect. If, by the process of elimination described above, you determine it is a component like a VCR that is causing the hum/buzz to occur, and using a cheater plug or removing the ground pin on a PS xStream Power Cable doesn't help matters, it may be necessary to isolate the cable connection (CATV) with an isolation transformer. This inexpensive device is available at most Wal Mart, Radio Shack or department store type outlets and is sometimes called a 'matching transformer'. If you have problems finding one, call your local cable TV company for advice. The matching transformer will be placed between the cable TV cord and the VCR, TV or processor.

Just remember, take the system down to its simplest level of connection. Find a way to hook the system up with as many pieces of the system missing or not connected. Keep it simple and get it to the point where the hum's gone. Then start adding back components one at a time until the hum returns."