or
Create an account

or

Thread Audio engineering jobs you can get outside of the studio

• 3 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 Audio engineering jobs you can get outside of the studio
Currently in the middle of an audio engineering program, and I'm a little nervous about my prospects after graduating. In this day and age it's getting incredibly easy for any joe smo off the street to learn audio engineering (albeit without being an expert/professional), and I feel like that's diluting the ability to both find work and make a living from studio work.

I'm trying to see my realistic options, ideally from people on this forum with experience. My instructors say I can use my degree for audio-post, foley and acoustical engineering, sound design, audio forensics, etc, but so far my own searches have often resulted in positions that require at least a bachelor's in physics, mechanical or electrical engineering.

Do any of you actually make a living outside of the studio? Should I pull out a gigantic loan for an accompanying masters in physics or some shit, or just stay the course? Or, should I beg my parents to move in and be that guy who mooches off his parents well into his 40s? At the very least, it does seem profitable from a financial perspective :mdr::bravo:
I have the same degree and make my living editing audiobooks

Master mixer, messy master-er

Quote from mixingmaniac:
I have the same degree and make my living editing audiobooks

Not gonna lie, that sounds pretty awful.....

Do you actually make a decent living? What's your day like? I wouldn't be able to survive listening to monotonous voices all day long :8O:
I don't get paid millions or anything but at least I have a very flexible job and can say audio engineering pays the bills.

Quote:
I wouldn't be able to survive listening to monotonous voices all day long :8O:

That's the worst part of my day....I take non-audiobook-editing jobs sometimes just to stay sane.

But hey at least I'm employed, and for those who want to find audio engineering jobs outside of the studio, I wish I could give you a clear formula by I stumbled upon it because my girlfriend works for a publisher, so this connection was the only reason I found it. Projects aside from the editing come from just networking and constantly promoting yourself and working on your craft

Master mixer, messy master-er