or
Create an account

or

Thread tenor sax recording

• 4 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 4 followers
1 tenor sax recording
Can I get your honest opinion on the quality of this recording, not the playing, but the recording.

thanks for your time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/419jm1p6ehob26l/opinion%20or%20recording%20quality.wav?dl=0

File has been removed or moved?
Let me forewarn you, I don't know much about recording saxes.

With that said, I enjoy your playing style. The recording, I find to be a bit harsh, exaggerating the highs. Saxes are notoriously difficult to properly record, so what you've provided actually isn't bad, aside from the exaggerated highs and the sound of clicking the different keys.

I would look into different resources for proper miking techniques and placement, as well as a comparison of different sax tracks that are properly or improperly recorded, as a source of reference.

In short, good recording, but it would be easier to judge within a mix. Anyway I'm sure someone else can help you out more than I have :lol:
Quote:
Can I get your honest opinion on the quality of this recording, not the playing, but the recording.
thanks for your time.

I think it sounds good. To my ears, it's a little thin, though. Perhaps you can move closer to the mic to add some proximity effect. Short of that, what you have now could be beefed up a little with EQ. I would boost in the 250 Hz range. Maybe roll off a tiny bit on top, as well. Nice playing!:bravo: