or
Create an account

or

Thread Best dynamic microphone under $150 for vocals?

• 11 replies
  • 8 participants
  • 8 followers
1 Best dynamic microphone under $150 for vocals?
I'm in a small space and can't acoustically treat my room, so I figure a dynamic mic for vocals would be best so as to avoid any unwanted reverberations or outside noise.

I ordered an SM58 but now I'm not so sure it's the best choice, regardless of how popular it is. I've also been looking into the AKG D5, and I've most seriously been considering the Blue Encore 100 and Encore 200 (particularly the latter).

Have any of you had experience with these mics? For a male tenor or baritone, what would you recommend? Should I just go for a cardioid condenser instead?
Show first post
Quote:
If you want to get studio-quality vocals, I wouldn't recommend using a dynamic mic

I agree totally on that. Dynamic vocal mics designed for the stage generally don't sound very good in the studio (although they have been used successfully on albums occasionally). My advice is to get the best quality condenser mic you can afford. The Blue Microphones Spark, which can be had for about $150, is a good value, in my opinion.

[ Post last edited on 03/19/2016 at 06:31:27 ]

HI everybody,

Mm I thought I was the first to mention the condenser mic :-P
And yes AT is a very nice mic to have but I have to come clean here, I don't own one ;-)

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...