DigiTech DSP 256 XL user reviews
- Multi-purpose Midi.
- Multi-effect is not unlike the SPX 90, even cross-key layout, except that in this case they are rather strong (see cheap) and to switch from one program to another or from one value to its neighbor, we must develop some touch.
Link mode with the Digitech has the happy, the great idea to propose the assignment of any MIDI controller to any of the effect parameters. Which means, you can modify in real time the value of any parameter such as the depth of a chorus to the modulation wheel on a keyboard. It is not the only one to offer this feature, of course, but how to do that is childishly simple.
By publishing against the sound is not super simple, because regardless of the selected program, as a simple reverb for example, there are a lot of settings that are not necessarily needed because there is always 4 simultaneous effects . The impression given is that of confusion, if it is properly adjusted and used sparingly as it should, the musicians in need of original sound can hold their own in the game
- Sound Quality
- For reverbs I'm a little mixed, they are very convincing (almost natural) for some of them not so good at others. However the chorus is equal to what is expected of them.
A very very big criticism of the delay:
available values are scaled by steps of 5 ms, and those working on tempos from 121 to 120 black rather than see it very grieved! and in this case, the DSP 256 is unusable!
- Overall Opinion
- It was my first multi-effects rack from the water flowed under the bridge, he followed me everywhere, at a time I was bouncing around everywhere with me like a little girl with her teddy (we had to take me for a mad), and I was very happy. Now, in hindsight, and since my husband introduced me to many other models, and even if one side has "cheap" it has the advantage that it can easily offer a range of effects different from other racks more professional! And what do you want, I'm a big romantic, I always find a reason not to part with it!
Sarah a musician who still loves soft toys
- What are the effects, types of effects available?
Multi-effects: reverb, flanger, chorus, EQ, pitch shiffing ..
What technology is used? (Analog, digital, tube ...)
Digital 16 Bits/44.1Khz
Are they edited?
What is the connection? (Audio / MIDI)
TS and of course DIN for MIDI connections.
- The general configuration is simple?
we can do better ..
Editing sounds and effects is easy?
Editing effects is quite simple but with an adjustment period (as for any multi-effects for that matter).
The manual is clear and sufficient? ...
The manual is quite well done and very funny! But only in English.
- Sound Quality
- The effects are they effective, responsive and realistic enough?
I find the reverb a bit cold, cons by the chorus and flanger are very good. Forget Pitch Shiffers they are horrible!
Which instruments do you use?
I used occasionally DSP 256 XL as "Silly little box" on a few drums, you get to have some interesting effects!
Which ones do you prefer, you hate?
No special preferences, for cons I hate the effects of pitch!
- Overall Opinion
- For how long have you been using it?
For a good ten years now, but I confess I do not much use now.
What thing do you like most/least about it?
I love the instructions! cons from the pitches ..
What is your opinion about the value for the price?
Knowing what you know now, would you make the same choice? ...
I think so.