Yamaha SPX90 : yoTrakkz's user review

"good price" 8 (8/10)

Characteristics 7/10

The Yamaha SPX 90 is a digital multi effects unit. The effects it includes are distortion, flange, tremolo and delay. The effects can be used singularly or they can be mixed and matched together. I believe the connections are XLR and the unit is rackable.

Utilization 9/10

The configuration of the Yamaha SPX 90 is easy to follow and manipulate. The dials and buttons are easy to read and while it takes a bit to figure out exactly what does what, as it is all laid out easy enough. The only reason it takes a bit of getting used to is simply because there are so many different effects and different ways to alter them. I don't have access to a manual but I would think it would be helpful in figuring out all the ins and outs of this model.

Sound Quality 7/10

I really like all of the effects on the Yamaha SPX 90 for various uses on various instruments. My favorite effect is the delay, as it is easy to get a variety of delay sounds from it. I've used it on everything from vocals to guitars and anything else that could use a cool effect or twist to it. You can get a sound anywhere from short, subtle delay to a beautiful, wide, cavernous one. The repeats can get extremely quick and almost crazy sounding. When mixed with some of the other effects it can make for some seriously unique tones. I also like using both the flanger and the tremolo for creating a really thick and wide flange tone or a wobbly tremolo. There are plenty of dials to manipulate each effect to get a real wide variety of sounds for a variety of applications.

Overall Opinion 8/10

I first used the Yamaha SPX 90 about 2 years ago and while I no longer have access to it, I wish I did. They are even cheap enough where almost any studio owner could own one and it is a great bang for your buck. If you are looking to expand and get some time based effects that are not in plug in form, this is a great model to get started with.