or
Create an account

or

Thread help bringing up and making volume equal on all songs

• 4 replies
  • 5 participants
  • 0 follower
1 help bringing up and making volume equal on all songs
Hey i am using Sonar 2.0 with an Aardvark q10 and wehn im done mixing the songs the levels are different on all tracks and they are kinda low. How can i bring the volume up to the volume of a commercial cd with out haveing clipping and stuff???
Try putting a compressor plug in across the Main Bus. Some light compression should help you get the overall volume up. Don't overdo it, though, or you'll make you mix sound like mud!! :lol:
The Axeman (##(===> Cuts From My New Blues CD

Quote: Hey i am using Sonar 2.0 with an Aardvark q10 and wehn im done mixing the songs the levels are different on all tracks and they are kinda low. How can i bring the volume up to the volume of a commercial cd with out haveing clipping and stuff???

You need either a combination or individual use of EQ, multi-band compression, and a peak limiter to make your recordings have an appearance of loudness and impact. This is something that is usually reserved for the mastering process, where you mix-down gets sent to an ME (Mastering Engineer) prior to duplication.

The ME also makes sure your songs are consistent sounding if this is your request.

As a general rule, mastering is not a "band aide" for poor mixes. Don't expect an ME to work out miracles.
Recording should be fun, mixing, mostly is hard labour and mastering? well That's ART at labour.
Whatever you record, sample and live music should have enough sound pressure at the bottom. Cutting is easyer than boosting also concerning filtering frequency's. So the before mentioned from Bowisc is right, a poor mix can be improved but never to the top.
Mixing very often is a matter of choice, mastering though is a mix of knowledge and lots of feeling.
;) :idea:
chris pax
everyones comments are accurate; however, as a solution to your problem, i suggest either T-Racks or Izotope - Izotope is my favorite. (these are mastering software appz)