or
Create an account

or

Thread Mixing kick/bass in EDM productions

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 4 followers
1 Mixing kick/bass in EDM productions
My friend and I have been producing music for a couple years now and have drastically improved. But no matter what we've learned and tried, we are still quite horrible at getting the kick/bass right. I'm referring to big kick drums you hear cut through with presence without overpowering you (like swedish house mafia tracks). VES 2 Bassdrum 068 is I believe one that they use.

When I'm making music, the kick/drum is either too loud or far too weak. I try and roll off as lowa s 60-70Hz on the bass to try and get it to sit well with the kick without muddying up, but I'm just blank. Again, my issues are specifically in getting the kick/bass both to sit well in a mix without sounding weak or overpowering. Any tips, anyone?
Instead of rolling off those frequencies on the bass, I would have a go at side chaining it to the kick instead. This way, the kick will more easily cut through the mix. I might also subtractively EQing some of the other synths that share frequencies with the kick (easy to do and the results will impress).

Should you try side chaining sub frequencies, don't forget to solo the sub bass and mess with the release and attack. If you leave this on fast, they'll click, which will chip away at your headroom.

I had a similar problem with getting the kick and bass right. When I learned about sidechaining, that really helped me step up my level a bit. There's a good article on it here on AF: https://en.audiofanzine.com/getting-started/editorial/articles/sidechain.html
Quote from comeatmebro:
My friend and I have been producing music for a couple years now and have drastically improved. But no matter what we've learned and tried, we are still quite horrible at getting the kick/bass right. I'm referring to big kick drums you hear cut through with presence without overpowering you (like swedish house mafia tracks). VES 2 Bassdrum 068 is I believe one that they use.

When I'm making music, the kick/drum is either too loud or far too weak. I try and roll off as lowa s 60-70Hz on the bass to try and get it to sit well with the kick without muddying up, but I'm just blank. Again, my issues are specifically in getting the kick/bass both to sit well in a mix without sounding weak or overpowering. Any tips, anyone?

This video should help:

Google is your friend :-D