or
Create an account

or

Thread You have only ONE mixing tip to give/follow. What would it be?

• 6 replies
  • 7 participants
  • 7 followers
1 You have only ONE mixing tip to give/follow. What would it be?
Mixing is so subjective, and best tips in one place are often things to avoid in another. So to help us focus and learn the key points, instead of reading gigantic novels written representing the subjective opinion of one person, I'm walking up to you all, asking you to give just ONE golden tip for mixing!

I'll get it started with my own: mix with your ears, NOT your eyes
subtractive EQ > additive/boosting
Quote from BroKen91:

A cut is worth a thousand boosts :-D
Quote from j.jones78:
Mixing is so subjective, and best tips in one place are often things to avoid in another. So to help us focus and learn the key points, instead of reading gigantic novels written representing the subjective opinion of one person, I'm walking up to you all, asking you to give just ONE golden tip for mixing!

I'll get it started with my own: mix with your ears, NOT your eyes

I've often heard this sort of advice, and to be honest I disagree. Naturally, a human's sense of hearing isn't perfect, so I fully believe in using a spectrometer as a supplementary tool to help pick out issues that may otherwise be difficult to notice just by 'listening and not watching'. Granted that doesn't have to do as much with mixing than mastering, but point being there are some tools we use in both mixing and mastering that, IN ADDITION to 'listening', can really enhance the final product.
Quote from thegrimreaper:
Quote from BroKen91:

A cut is worth a thousand boosts :-D

I was always taught that cutting is preferred as it's a passive process, whereas boosting signifies boosting the signal before reintroducing it to the original signal. That process takes a small amount of time so there is a bit of latency between the boost and the source which can produce phase smearing.

There are other reasons, but all goes to say that cutting is ideal
High pass anything when bass isn't absolutely necessary/required. It'll help clean up a lot of the mud from your mix
Don't follow the hype. There is not one special thing for all mixes. Mix on your ears and not the meters and do what feels right to you. ( meters don't feel the emotion in music, your brain does)
Believe in your self.

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

[ Post last edited on 10/24/2014 at 14:46:39 ]