or
Create an account

or

Thread Loudness from workflow

• 10 replies
  • 5 participants
  • 5 followers
1 Loudness from workflow
Hi everyone, I've been producing remixes for some time, but I'm a complete amateur in reality. Mostly I'm happy with my productions but I always seem to lack the loudness. Others seem to acheive beautiful clarity and peak volumes. Or perhaps it's in my head... either way, I think my issues are in work flow...

In a nutshell:
1) mix the track together with a little compression and EQ
2) bounce the each track to wav
3) limit the track on the master bus
4) heavier multi band compression on the master bus

My setup I consider to be poor, completely software driven with no dedicated sound card or hardware.

Please share your workflows, tricks and tips. Any defo wins/fails
Here is a my remix for reference if you need it
https://soundcloud.com/finishingmove-1/adam-lambert-another-lonely-night-finishingmove-remix
Thanks
Show first post
Quote:
I always try to fix issues within the mix before I even think about doing anything to the master channel.

I think that's a good strategy in most situations. You can always add the same effects that you would have put on the master bus to your mixed track, after the fact. But once you've bounced your mix with mastering effects on it, the only way to reduce them if you overdo it is to reopen the mix, adjust, and re-bounce. If you're going to bring your mixes to a mastering engineer, do not put any master bus compression or limiting on them. If you give a mastering engineer a track that's been compressed heavily, he or she won't have any room to work with it, and will probably ask you to re-bounce without those effects.