Create an account

or

Thread Comments about the feature article: A Sonic Guru Speaks

• 5 replies
  • 5 participants
  • 5 followers
1 Comments about the feature article: A Sonic Guru Speaks
A Sonic Guru Speaks
You may have heard Richard Devine’s distinctive electronic compositions, or seen his name on patch collections in various synths, but most likely when you hear his work it’s a system sound in a computer program, app, or hardware device, or a sound for a TV commercial. We caught up with him to ask about his work, his gear, and his techniques.

Read the article

This thread was created automatically after the publishing of an article. Feel free to post your comments here!
pretty cool interview, like the tidbits about filling up the frequency spectrum but in general looks like I'm never gonna be able to make a living in the studio if I'm not an experts and making beeping sounds for skype :(((

I came, I saw, I cowered

Quote from lesspaulmorestrat:
I'm never gonna be able to make a living in the studio if I'm not an experts and making beeping sounds for skype :(((

How do you get into that kind of gig anyway? Do you start off as an accomplished musician or actively search it out?
I occasionally get sound design gigs and to be honest, I became a better sound designer before I ever became a good 'musician' in the classical sense. The first mixes I ever made were really just a bunch of outlandish sounds I created and jammed together.

They weren't good enough to rival Tiesto, but certainly enough to compile a portfolio of the kinds of sounds I could make and get my name out there for relevant gigs.

I've seen in other forums threads and forums called 'what do you think of my sound' and things like that. I wish I saw one of those on AudioFanzine to be honest, but it definitely helps seeing and trying to copy other sounds in order to develop the technical proficiency necessary to develop your own cool sounds.

With that said, I'm sure Richard Devine rakes in muchhh more cash than yours truly
Some of what Devine does is pretty crazy. Just saw this video of him demoing his plugin. The sounds aren't really my cup o tea, but the fact this demo is of the plugin being used as a standalone is pretty impressive

Cool video. Thanks for posting that!