Create an account

or

Thread Comments about the feature article: Mixing Old and New

• 2 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 Comments about the feature article: Mixing Old and New
Mixing Old and New
In the heart of the rapidly gentrifying Greenpoint section of Brooklyn, inside a nondescript industrial building on a street with a distant view of the Manhattan skyline, you'll find Studio G Brooklyn. The multi-room facility is the workspace of producer/engineer Joel Hamilton, who's also the co-founder and co-owner. The studio is stocked with excellent gear, much of it vintage, and much of it analog.

Read the article

This thread was created automatically after the publishing of an article. Feel free to post your comments here!
I initially went to school for audio engineering. Due to my training, it was necessary that I have some type of mixing board to understand everything that I was taught. I couldn't afford any of the known name control surfaces so I purchased a Mackie MCU Pro. I begin adding extenders piece by piece until I had 32 faders. A funny thing happened. I got tired of turning on each individual piece of kit to run the Mackie setup. I was also worried about the amount of power I was using (all 4 devices require AC power). The solution to my problem was a Slate Raven MTi. It's digital but the touch screen allows me to still control the faders with my fingers. I really like it and the command batch software included has some great tools that makes operating in Pro Tools faster.
I've heard great things about the Raven, but haven't had the chance to use one as of yet. If it's anything like other Slate products, it's sure to be excellent. I did see the Batch Commander software (which doesn't require a Raven to run) demoed, and it looks very impressive as a time saver for Pro Tools users. It's a cool idea.