or
Create an account

or

Thread Shure X2U hiss issues

• 0 comment
  • 1 participant
  • 0 follower
1 Shure X2U hiss issues
I recently bought a new Shure X2U to do home recordings with. In my audio recording/editing software of choice (Sony Vegas), it recorded extremely clearly with virtually no hiss or background noise. In the last month, though, I've noticed that it has suddenly started hissing very loudly. It doesn't change when I swap XLR cables or the USB adapter cable. The hiss also remains constant when I turn mic gain all the way down. This goes for both Sony Vegas and SoundForge.

Interestingly, when I use the Windows audio device manager (I'm on Windows 8.1) and check the "listen" function, I can hear the microphone through my headphones with absolutely no hiss. I only hear a hiss through the headphones when Sony Vegas is armed to record. As soon as I disarm the track, it stops. Recordings made with the Windows Audio Recorder also have the hiss.

Turning the Monitor function on the interface all the way up, I hear the same hiss, but only with the Mic Gain up. I don't know if this signifies that the problem is in the interface or due to something in the computer.

It seems this problem started about the time when I began using this microphone on the website Streetjelly.com, where I often live broadcast myself playing music. The website requires me to run my microphone signal through the Adobe Flash plugin to broadcast. It was when I was setting up my audio levels on this site that I first heard this interface hissing, and now it's back in my audio recording software.

Is it possible that there is some audio driver or device setting that has been altered and needs to be changed back?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I contacted Shure, and their solutions were either to buy a new one (which would be another $100) or to send it in to be looked at, which probably also costs a fair bit.

Thanks in advance!

[ Post last edited on 03/30/2015 at 16:13:23 ]