Spectrasonics Omnisphere
Spectrasonics Omnisphere

Virtual Sampler/Sample Player

User Reviews: 4.835 Average price: $479

All user reviews for the Spectrasonics Omnisphere

Average Score: 4.8 ( 4.8/5 based on 35 reviews )
  28 reviews 80 %
  3 reviews 9 %
  1 user review 3 %
Target: Beginners Value For Money: Excellent
Editorial review
  • 06/26/09Introduction

Spectrasonics Omnisphere: Omnipotent & Omnificent ? - Introduction

After many years of development, Spectrasonics has released their new flagship virtual instrument, Omnisphere, which has been heralded as a completely new ground-breaking hybrid virtual instrument incorporating a myriad of realtime synthesis techniques, an epic library featuring ‘psychoacoustic’ sounds, and many other innovative features. It's also the first instrument to be built upon their newly developed STEAM Engine. So, when Spectrasonics, who has always been a heavy-weight in the world of VSTIs and Sample libraries, makes a claim like this, many of us stop to listen. What have we heard.....

Nico38 07/03/2013

Nico38's review " The best virtual instrument ever"

No particular problems whatsoever.

It has been greatly optimized after its release, not to speak of usability and sound innovations...

After nearly three years, this is my favorite plug-in and one which I use in all my compositions. A goldmine of inspiration. In my opinion, it's the best virtual instrument ever created up to this day.
JoeW1 03/25/2013

JoeW1's review

Omnisphere by Spectrasonics is compatible with Windows Xp 32/64bit , Vista , Windows 7 and MAC.

The manual is extremely clear and more than enough to get how the program works.

The general setup is very simple , however due to its size and the libraries that may come with it , it requires a certain amount of time.

The typical functions are easy to spot , very friendly design plus read the book that comes with the program and in just an hour you should get how it works.

The software works smoothly , no troubles found while using it.

The software is pretty stable , had only a couple of crashes during work.

I've been using this product for about 3 years.

What I like most about Omnisphere ,are the oscillators that can be sample based or synth based , the flex-Mod modulation system , the unison detuning , the analog feel , the synth feel and other great details.

I really love the sound library that consists from about 40 gb of pure samples you get also a panel search of the library based around genre , mood , tone , quality , etc.

Another thing that I love about it , is how simple the interface design is and how the key features are accessible for even an amateur , nothing really complex , up front design.

You also get 8 different arp , 8 effects , a lot of layers and even some tutorials to use your sounds or even create some!.

My opinion about the value for the price is great , a 500 $ product that has almost every sound you need and want.

Precision and quality of the sound is amazing , one of the most powerful synths ever made , 10/10.

Knowing what I know, I would get this software as soon as possible.
Azuma 02/24/2013

Azuma's review

There weren't any kind of compatibility issues , the program worked really pro on any platform like Windows XP, Windows Seven or a MAC OS.

The book included with the program was quite clear and you easily manage the understanding of the program.

General configuration and setup is fast and it doesn't require a lot of time and effort.
The typical functions are accessible and easy to follow due to the well designed feature.

The software works extremely stable , fast and without any types of errors.
Regarding the functions and the performances , I haven't encountered any type of problems , misunderstandings or errors while using it.
I've been using Omnisphere for some time , it's been a couple of years my first connection with this product and its features.

What I like most about are the build-in arppegiatos , the good combination of sound quality and cpu usage , I enjoy the full spectrum of sounds that are included with certain libraries , the magical combination between the classical world , old style kind of strings and the saw synths available.

The most useful tool about this product is the incorporation that comes with it , a great usage either on electronic tracks or even in some emotional soundtracks that you can create with this amazing product.

My opinion about the value of price reaches a good point of understanding which describes perfectly the price range with the features provided with it.
This product costs around 500 $ but its worth the money without a doubt.

Precision and quality of sounds is very powerful , I rate it 9/10 only because there are some more advanced orchestral libraries , but being honest this product is the real deal.

Knowing what I know , I do think that this is a very smart move , choice to buy , mainly because its wide use in terms of musical style and contour.
mrjason 11/24/2012

mrjason's review "Sort of on the high end of the price scale"

I have been using Spectrasonics Omnisphere for a few years now since around 2009. It was easy to install though it did take a while to fully install because there are just so many sounds and effects that have to install. Using it was not very easy because it was laid out a lot different than other VST interfaces that I have used in my music career. After looking at the manual, it felt like I was looking at a manual to fix a space ship. It was very lengthy and confusing, so I started looking around online and came across a ton of free tutorials on the website. All I had to do was register and start watching. The videos that Spectrasonics put out for this VST were way better than the manual was.

I was using Omnispere on my Dell PC running Windows Vista 32 bit, it ran great and never froze or crashed on me. It ran smoothly and effortlessly, plus it did not take a lot of CPU up while using it. I was able to use it about 4 times simultaneously before it started to chew up all of the CPU. I used it in Cubase and in FL Studio. In both of those DAW programs it was easy to set up Omnisphere and add it to my work flow.

The sounds that come with it are revolutionary. They are great for all types of music but I basically make Electronic music and Dance music so it fit right in with my personal style. All of the presets can be edited easily if you know how to use the VST. Which is where the problem came in at for me, so I went to the tutorial videos to understand how to work it properly.
This is a great plug in that any one should purchase if you are serious about having some very clean sounds. The down fall of this is the price, for the price of this you can get the Kontakt bundle and get a lot more for your money.
Jean Jacques M 10/21/2012

Jean Jacques M's review "Exceptional, but ...."

Tedious installation with the iLok system.
But hey, it does have its rewards.
On the other hand, it comes without a printed user guide, which is the standard now.

I use it with a 2008 MacBook Pro, core duo, 4 GB ram, and the sounds are saved on a 500GB LACIE HDD.
No issues with delays when loading sounds, nor with the load on the CPU.

In use for three years now.
I haven't gotten tired of it, and I probably only know about 10% of its possibilities.
OK, I exaggerate, only about 4.23%.
The price... It's a bit too expensive, but all updates are free — for now.
What I like most is the sound quality, richness and diversity, and the infinite possibilities to create them!!!
And there's nothing I don't like!
Except for it not coming with a manual!
didebmo 09/29/2012

didebmo's review "Great synth!"

I didn't install it, so I can't say anything in that respect.

No problems. With modern PCs (mine is about one year old) the load on the CPU isn't much. I sometimes work with 5 or 6 sounds simultaneously in omnisphère and CPU usage rises to only 1/3. It certainly depends on the sounds used, but still, It's not too resource-intensive.

I've been using it for about three years.
I have what you can see in my profile. For me, Omnisphère is the best when it comes to sounds. I've worked a lot with sylenth as well, but Omnisphère has a huge sound library and it can do much more.
It has some purely synthetic sounds and some other based on samples, but they all share an amazing quality.
Initially, I bought it for the atmospheric sounds, but it can do almost anything.
I've been buying synths for 30 years and the price of this one is a joke. Plus, considering the current VSTi market, its price seems very competitive. I bought it for a little over €300 if I recall correctly.
BeyondR 07/30/2012

BeyondR's review "High Quality"

The great power synth Omnisphere from Spectrasonics combines the beauty of acoustic sounds with a more digital one.
It has a lot of deep and great built-in sounds.The typical functions are relatively easy to use for those that want to take a built-in sound and use it in their own mix.

What's really amazing about this power synth is it's high quality sounds and stability.
I have been using this synth for a while and i haven't encountered any errors during it's use. It works on a professional level.
This synth really helped me during the years to find the rich sounds that I've used in some classical music.

What I like most about it are the great features like timbre shifting, dual mode filter structure , harmonia and the amazing build-in patches that make our life much easier as music producers. I also enjoy the fact that if you're more into building your own sounds and you're a great sound engineer you can create your own sounds.
The library provided by Omnishpeere is one of the most professional , high quality that i ever had the pleasure to work with.
The price is great for such a great synth , it costs around 500$ , but belive me , it's really worth the money.
With this professional type synth you will create something great for the music world.
I've tried several other models before getting omnishpere, and guess what, I stuck with it, I'm using it almost every day and I can't really describe the impact it has on my work.

Omnishpere is compatible as well with mac osx and xp/7.

You should try it for it's great effects, racks, chaos envelopes , patches, all the great layering and for the sounds that it provides. Without a doubt I would buy this program over and over again if I would have to , right now there isn't a more developed type of synth on the market.
Los Teignos 01/23/2012

Los Teignos's review "Big Mama"

The installation and, especially, the updates, are a bit complicated, starting with the fact that Spectrasonics offers different updates for the software itself, the presets and for the sound libraries. But everything works fine once we've gotten pass that.

I use it on a Dual Core with 6 GB RAM and have never had an issue under Windows 7 64-bit / Cubase 6. That said, I generally use one or two patches per song at most, so it's not very indicative.

I've used it for two years now and I must confess that I'm really fascinated by the software, even if it only use it rarely. Why? Because it sounds huge and its sounds are sometimes so complex that they are more than enough by themselves. It is often hard to try to incorporate them in a song.

During mixdown, you will have to cut a lot with the EQ (especially in the low end). And, to compose, it seems that the best you can do with Omnisphere is start from scratch with one of the presets and see where it takes you... But we must also admit that an Omnisphere layer and a Stylus groove are enough to make a song, which can be exciting and frustrating at the same time...

Loaded with processing and modulation possibilities, the software is nevertheless not the most user-friendly, in my opinion. Its interface with multiple panels make it unnecessarily complicated and might end up discouraging beginners or will make them stick to presets, which, then again, are admirable.

This is without a doubt an inspiring instrument whose sounds have a lot of personality. But that's not always what you are looking for...
yoTrakkz 10/06/2011

yoTrakkz's review "amazing software.."

Omnisphere is basically a large workstation-like synthesizer that just happens to include a gigantic sample library. Using multiple types of oscillators, filters, effects and modulation routing, you can create almost any kind of sound imaginable. Not only that, but you can stack multiple patches together in multi mode (told you it was like a workstation) for uber-large presets. The built-in arpeggiator is pretty neat, and the included FX like reverb, chorus, compression, distortion, delay, etc. can not only be used at the patch level but can be used at the post-multi mixer level in four different aux channels plus the master.

The manual is attached to the synth. For this kind of money, a printed manual would be very helpful (and the "saving trees" thing is really getting old). At the very least, a PDF file that could be re-sized and perused at your leisure (AND PRINTED) would be nice. Instead, you have to have an instance of Omnisphere open to read anything about it.

Sounds are amazing, some of the best I have heard from a software synth. inspirational, crystal clear with deep thunderous basses, shining washes, eerie graybrooding atonal clouds, searing synth leads, indescribable sonic vistas, all you could ever want or need.

Overall, I thought the interface would be a little more intuitive, it is not. Also, the search function is not as useful as the videos would have you believe, the cutesy names do not allow for generic searches in all instances, ie; I accidentally changed a cool rock guitar patch I was using and tried to find it again with no luck. It was a guitar sound but never came up under a "guitar" search. I also tried to type in the name or parts of it (as I remembered them) and no luck. But besides the confusion of finding patches, I have no complaints. Amazing software.
synfactory 08/18/2011

synfactory's review "The only Virtual Synth you will ever need!"

Omnisphere is a Virtual Synth available on Mac and Windows systems, in 32 and 64 bit versions.

It features more than 40 GB of samples, full fx racks, hundred of presets, and a lot of different kind of synthesis engines and features that includes:

Oscillators can be sample-based or synth-based
Up to 10 oscillators per patch with new Harmonia™ feature
Flex-Mod™ modulation system allows powerful modular-style routing
Dual Layer architecture
Polyphonic Ring Modulation
Polyphonic Glide
FM Oscillators
Dual Filter architecture per Layer
Create filter combinations in series or parallel
Arrange and blend more than 17 Filter algorithms
Fully modulatable FX racks
Alternate tuning scales supported
6 full-featured LFOs per patch
8 Advanced Multi-breakpoint looping Envelopes per patch
Unique Dual Envelope interface - Simple ADSR-style or Advanced Graphic-style
Sampled soundsources can be processed with synthesis features!

I’ve used this in Logic Pro 8 and 9, in 32 and 64 bit mode without a problem.
I have a Mac Pro 2.66 Quad Core with 8 GB of ram and a White Macbook with Intel Core 2 Duo Cpu with 4 GB of Ram.
The installation is really easy and the the manual is well written.

The software reacts really well, however to use its full potential you need to have at least 4 gb of ram. With 8 gb and in 64 bit it works like a charm.

I've buyed and demoed a lot of virtual and hardware synths over the years.
I've also had an Access Virus TI polar, but I wanted a simpler and more cost effective setup.
I've used, absynth, Massive, Predator and a lot of other until I found Omnisphere.
I can simply say that it covers everything you will ever dream about a Synth, and also beyond that point.
From Reversed Piano, to full on aggressive Industrial Leads, it covers all the ground.
The synth engines, the fx, the preset manager, etc. all in this Virtual Instrument screams "Top Notch Quality".
Don't be discouraged by the price, the first five minutes you will use it, you will want to sell everything else in your keyboard arsenal.
Outstanding product, from a perfect Company!!