Roland AC-60

All user reviews for the Roland AC-60

( 4.5/5 based on 12 reviews )
6 reviews
4 reviews
  • phraselandphraseland

Roland AC-60Published on 12/11/08 at 11:44
    Roland says this stereo amp delivers 60 Watt. As with any transistor amp this doesn't really say a lot about the sound it actually projects. You can connect two separate sources to this amp (1 mic input with phantom power and 1 line input) and separately dial in Reverb and Chorus. You also have the option to add an MP3/CD player via the RCA input.
    On the back there is a Direct Out (XLR) and the amplifier is sold in a nice carrying bag.
    The EQ section has the usual treble/mid/high and is ok - don't expect too much though. It is good for last minute shaping but doesn't feel very precise.

The amp is very sraightforward. I have sold the AC60 a lot because it doesn't force people to have a degree in audio engineering to get it to sound good. The effects are very useable and especially chosen for acoustic instruments. You can either have reverb or delay and you can add an additional Chorus.
    The amp can be tilted upwards which helps in projecting the sound to the player or the audience. Roland is pretty good about its manuals but then this amp is really pretty easy to understand.

As with the Schertler David (which I describe in another User Review) this one sounds pretty good with classic guitars, violins and mandolins. If you play fingerstyle add steelstring guitar to that. It doesn't sound as nice as the David but then it is not in that price range either (I don't know how the bigger versions fare against the competition as they are more expensive and bigger in size). I really like that Roland has put out a good amp with professional features in a price range that is not so saturated. I feel like the sound is nice and warm but I feel like it is lacking a bit of punch. The highs could have definately been a bit better.

I think this amp is a very good option for practicing and performing. You get everything you need to take your acoustic sound on the road and it doesn't blow your budget. This amp is not cheap however. I think there is not really a competing product in this price - most amps are either half as cheap or twice as expensive.
    I really like the versatility it offers and the overall quality leaves nothing to complain about.
  • Audiofanzine FRAudiofanzine FR

Roland AC-60Published on 12/05/08 at 06:13
    (Originally written by Rere0141/translated from Audiofanzine FR)

Many connections, two inputs:

- Acoustic/electric guitar

- Electric guitar/mic (XLR/jack)

3-band EQ, chorus, reverb, feedback killer, etc. Separate 3-band channel EQs.

Clear configuration. Personally, I don't change my settings that often.

Enough output power to play guitar and sing at home.

Clear user's manual.

Very good acoustic sound (its core application). Average electric sound.

Very good for an electro-acoustic guitar, less so for an electric guitar (the sound seems to be damped compared to my very dynamic Fender amp).

I play it with a Parkwood guitar with a Fishman p…
    (Originally written by Rere0141/translated from Audiofanzine FR)

Many connections, two inputs:

- Acoustic/electric guitar

- Electric guitar/mic (XLR/jack)

3-band EQ, chorus, reverb, feedback killer, etc. Separate 3-band channel EQs.

Clear configuration. Personally, I don't change my settings that often.

Enough output power to play guitar and sing at home.

Clear user's manual.

Very good acoustic sound (its core application). Average electric sound.

I play it with a Parkwood guitar with a Fishman preamp. The sound is very good: crystal-clear and well-balanced.

I also use a hybrid Parkwood but the amp doesn't perform that good with magnetic pickups.

I don't fool around too much with the settings, once I found a good sound, I don't mess with it anymore!

I've been using it for one month.

It comes with a transport cover but the amp is quite heavy!!!

With its numerous settings it can be used in many different rooms.

Expensive amp but exceptional acoustic sound.

Convenient mic input.

Average sound with electric guitars. It's an additional feature but don't buy this amp thinking it can replace an electric guitar amp.

Pros: Very good acoustic sound. Lots of settings. Effective feedback killer.

Cons: price and average sound with an electric guitar.