or
Enlarge
SeriesBehringer X32

Thread issues with X32 recording to flash drive

• 2 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 issues with X32 recording to flash drive
Both of my x32s have performed brilliantly, in general, for what I need them to do, regardless of the software version. I record live performances to a high quality flash drive, typically without any issues. But I've noticed that the recording seems to have a limiter on it. So when a band starts an intro, it sounds great, but once drums/vocals/guitar/or any other segment of the band takes over and increases in presence and volume, the sound becomes squashed and drastically drops in volume and overall sound quality. Again, this only seems to happen after increases in sonic dynamics, and doesn't pose any issues with just vocals and guitars or a couple other instruments that aren't 'taking over', so to speak.

Perhaps I can fix it using an expander while editing so I can recover the sound, but as the files are typically large in size, this would be extremely time consuming. Since I usually give a band a copy of their performance immediately after their shows, I really need help in finding a way to avoid this squashed sound during recording.

I've looked through all relevant menus and can't find anything patched that can cause these problems. The house sound is unaffected. I send the house mix pre EQ directly to the recorder. I've also noticed that any applied effects are not as present on the recordings as on the house mix. I'm planning on using the matrix buss for future recordings, but would rather find a solution for this sound level/limiting problem ASAP.

Does anyone have an X32 or similar issues with their own mixers? Any suggestions?
Hi arsenal80, and thanks for those details.

It seems to me that if you have your effects going to front of house, but don't have the effects going to the recorder, then there's most likely a routing issue somewhere - that is, if what you're trying to do is record from the Main L/R. Also, I'd recommend you look over the actual wave form in a DAW to see if the recording, itself is clipping.

If that's the case, you can adjust the record level to the USB recorder on the config screen to avoid any apparent clip limiting. Hope that helps.

-Riley
I will take a look and see if the issues resolved during my next show. If not, I will keep you posted. Thank you Riley.