Shure SM57

SM57, Dynamic Microphone from Shure in the SM series.

• Increase or decrease font size
  • RSS

All user reviews of 5/5 for the Shure SM57

Average Score:4.5( 4.5/5 based on 161 reviews )
 93 reviews58 %
 52 reviews32 %
 11 reviews7 %
 2 reviews1 %
 1 user review1 %
View price information
bainmack03/07/2018

bainmack's review"Excellent bang for the buck"

Shure SM57
I bought an SM57 primarily to record electric guitars. I spent hours with several other microphones and never really got a sound I was happy with until I tried the SM57. It was the clear winner after multiple position and amp setting checks.

I also recorded some vocals with the SM57-- very versatile mic.

There's a reason why so many people say so many good things about this mic. It's only a $100! Can't go wrong.

I used it on this track for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeQ4J7vLdvI
JeffTadashi07/02/2012

JeffTadashi's review"Universal legend"

Shure SM57
The Shure SM57 is a modern classic microphone, and it is used more prominently in the studio that any other singular microphone. It is a legendary, but simple dynamic microphone, with a frequency response from 40 Hz to 15,000 Hz, cardioid pattern, 150 ohms rated impedance, and the basic 3-pin XLR connector on the base. It is unidirectional in nature, with a very small sound entrance and windscreen. It doesn’t have a particularly flat frequency response, but it sounds very musical, and it can be used in a variety of applications, including guitar amps, vocals, drums, wind instruments, stringed instruments, acoustic guitars, room ambience, and more.

What’s great about the Shure SM57 is that it is used almost universally, and it is one of the cheapest microphones you can buy. It is still a quality product from a quality microphone manufacturer (in Shure), and that makes it perfect for so many budgets and applications. However, there are many fake Shure SM57’s floating around, particularly on eBay, and if you are not careful, you will end up with a Chinese-made fake that looks just like the real mic, but sounds thin and tinny. In fact, I owned a fake SM57 for a few months, and I didn’t realize it was fake until I started testing it against another SM57: I knew the mic was sounding bad, but I assumed it was my other equipment, bad mic placement, or phase issues, because I just assumed the mic was real and it fine working condition. Do make sure you do not fall into the same trap, and buy from reputable sellers.

Overall, the Shure SM57 is a great mic that belongs in every studio, simply because it is so universally used. Even if you have better microphones that work better for specific situations, it’s still a good idea to keep these around, because they are always useful and every musician is familiar with them.
stompboxjon05/21/2012

stompboxjon's review"yes im shure..."

Shure SM57
Shure SM 57 is one of the best mics on the market that are actually affordable and wont cost you an arm and a leg. Plus most all music stores even local stores (not big chain stores) carry this line of mics from Shure. The Shure SM 57 will take care of all of your needs and its one of the best all around mics you will find. Just try it on some drums, and you will be surprised by how good it actually is and for the price what more could you ask for.

Overall, there are a lot of mics on the market some good and some bad. But we are all on a budget and want the best we can get for our money. For the price range of this mic you wont find a better mic that cost around the same amount of money. That is the reason it is so popular, some of the more commercial studio’s still use the Shure SM 57 even though they have enough money to go with whatever mics they want. You can also use the SM 57 for live use and watch how good it sounds. The frequency response on it is second to none (for the price range). Not to mention the Shure SM 57 will last you for every! Unless you do something really horrible to it and intentionally try to break it. It can take all of the bangs from moving it around from place to place especially if you don’t have a covor or protection to put it in when traveling. This thing has been dropped numerous times and keeps working like a charm. I really love the Shure SM 57, you cant go wrong with anything from Shure, they are a company that has been around for a long time.
crankyrayhanky04/20/2012

crankyrayhanky's review"Super Magnificent 57"

Shure SM57
This is a dynamic microphone; utilization includes live and studio settings.

The famous Shure 57...there is a serious love/hate on this microphone. I've been on both sides of the pendulum, so here's my experiences...
It seems that every major guitar tone in the studio and live applications use the 57. World famous mic that one has to have...and even better, it's actually affordable! After decades of using dozens of other mics, I decided to buy (2) of these mics.
First impression was awful! couldn't get a decent sound in my home recording setup...I'm not sure if my ears were used to condensers & ribbons, but this mic presented a 0/10 for me. Back into the case they went; I assumed they could be useful for live band or drum tom mics or whatever so I kept them. As time went on, every gig I played- from crappy bars to 1200 seat theater, the 57 was put right up on my amp grille. I returned to my studio to try the mics again.
This time I had quality preamps. Instead of lo/mid level pieces, i actually had a Universal Audio 6176 to plug into...with proper placement, I realized that the 57 did indeed have that familiar magic sound- a desired hi pass to eliminate the rumble, a lo pass to avoid the piercing highs, and a mid frequency that loved guitars. I was suddenly hooked! Finding the sweet spot was a chore- I don't have a separate engineer and a control booth; I have 1 large room and work the mic with my headphones blasting, searching endlessly for the sweet spot. Dead center is a horrible sound- unfortunately most live engineers stick it right there on a gig-YUCK. Right where the center meets the cone is a good spot to shoot for- too much cone is too warm, too much center is to bright, but somewhere in between lies the SPOT. Once the spot is located, I grab another 57 and put it right next to it in perfect parallel. Both mics right up as close to the grill as possible. Molting these 2 mics together yields a perfect rock/metal tone for guitarists.

Time went on and I needed to sell of my 6176...bought another, then needed to sell that too, lol. I'm now using an inexpensive GAP73 & an 11R for my mic pres- humble and inexpensive, yet more than serviceable preamps. I realized that the 57 still sounds great, but huge attention to placement is the key. It can easily turn to crap mud or piercing highs, but find the sweet spot and it is golden.

Overall- great bang for your buck! Getting a pro-proven piece of gear for under $100 is extraordinary. I didn't go much into it, but these mics can sound killer on snare top (awesome application!), snare bottom, toms, vocals, you name it, it will do the job....and it will take a beating! I love that these are so cost effective, I can leave them setup for recording and just leave them there day after day. i wouldn't dare do that with an expensive ribbon or condenser, but with the 57, I'm like set it and forget it. Once I find my sound, it stays there for months!
MatrixClaw03/31/2012

MatrixClaw's review"The "Standard" for a Reason!"

Microphone Type: Dynamic
Polar Pattern: Cardioid
Frequency Response: 40Hz-15kHz
Impedance: 150 ohms
Includes clip, XLR cable tie and bag.

I've used nearly all the studio go-to mics for guitar cabs, and I keep coming back to the SM57. The e609 sounds great for lower gain, but lacks aggressiveness for higher gain applications, the 57 does it all. The Sennheiser MD421 is a great cab mic, but is also 4 times the price - And at that price, it's certainly not $300 better. The Royer ribbons sound AMAZING, but not something I'd use as a standalone sound - Pair it with a 57 and you're golden.

These mics are the most popular dynamic mics on the planet for a reason, they can literally do anything, and sound great doing it! Guitar cabs, toms, snare, vocals - If you can put a mic in front of it, it'll probably sound pretty good with this one. It might not excel as well as other mics at certain applications, but where you'd normally use a dynamic mic, in order to find something "better" you're looking at spending MUCH more money. The 57 works amazingly well with nearly any preamp you pair it with, thus you can make great tracks on a cheap $100 interface, and in a $1 million recording studio with it.

The SM57 is a workhorse in the studio and live. Every musician should own at least one.
Bobaille10/26/2011

Bobaille's review" SM57, a safe bet"

Shure SM57
We no longer need to describe the  SM57, a worldwide bestseller that every studio has at least one copy.

The SM57 microphone is extremely versatile and robust, able to withstand very high sound pressures and adapted to any type of take (guitar, bass, snare, vocals etc ...)

As effective in the studio or live, you can buy this microphone with your eyes closed!
themaddog09/12/2011

themaddog's review"The standard for guitar cab/snare drum"

Shure SM57
This is a dynamic microphone meant primarily for live instrument use. It is generally used to mic the cabinets of guitar amp speakers and snare drums. They've been making them for very long time without an on/off switch on the vast majority of their models. In a bind, it also works decently for backup vocals and is good for playing with a talkbox since it doesn't have the round ball windscreen. Run with it, spit on it, drop it, and it'll still keep on working, sounding the same as it ever did (even with a bent grill).

This is the standard for miking instruments, especially guitar cabs and snare drums. Most clubs use this as their house mic, but that doesn't mean it is the very best mic. It is a good standard microphone for most people. For those with a thin sounding voice, using the proximity effect of boosting the bass by putting the mic right to their lips will give a much fuller sound.

The SM57 is pretty quiet when handled, which is probably its greatest attribute live.

Electrically it is very similar to the Shure SM58, which is the standard for miking vocals. If you are in a bind, you can use an SM57 for this purpose and probably won't hear the difference between the two microphones.

If you can get this microphone used, it's great to have a small arsenal of these if you have a band with multiple vocalists. That being said, there are a lot of phonies out there from the East, so beware when buying one used, especially over the internet. If you purchase a new one, buy it from a reputable, local store if possible.

For a starter project studio, this or the SM58 are great first microphones as they are so versatile. They might not be the best recording microphones, but they can be used for so many different purposes. On vacation I've taken an SM58 with me for recording in a Portastudio and achieved some good results. If I had to choose between an arsenal of 57's or 58's, I'd got with 57's because they are a little cheaper, provide similar results as 58's, but are more versatile in the studio when used for miking cabs and drums. I have used them to record toms, which a lot of people say is a no no, but achieved the results I was listening for.

I've never had a Shure product quit on me, which is saying something!
yoTrakkz09/05/2011

yoTrakkz's review

Shure SM57
The Shure SM57 mic was basically created to record those live instruments and I must say it does so extremely well. When you record those brass instruments with it, they come through crystal clear. Just make sure you keep it at a decent distance away from the instruments because there is not screen or anything to stop clicking and popping. Which is good because that’s how you are going to get the real sound of the instrument and nothing to disembody it at all.

I recommend anyone using instruments such as a snare drum, guitar amps and congos or kick drums along with the sax and woodwind instruments to use this mice immediately you wont find a better mic at such a good price. Once you look at the price of this thing you will say to your self that this cant be a good mic. But Shure has created top quality mics that are extremely affordable for years and this on tops them all off. We have all searched for a mic that can record live instruments, the better mic are extremely pricey and aren’t as good as they sound. The Shure SM 57 is the instrument microphone that we have all been waiting for, I am even thinking of purchasing a few more of these as I am getting into playing more and more live instruments.

The SM57 is extremely effective grabbing the natural sound of your live and while not picking up any background noise that is flouting around in your studio. The Shure SM57 delivers great performance and its very reliable and diverse. This mic has been chosen by several artist and producers worldwide, so you should give a try and you will see that this is the mic for live instrumentals you have been searching for your whole career.
polishdog9008/25/2011

polishdog90's review"Cheap and Classic"

Specifications:
Length - 6.18"
Width - 1.25"
Depth - 1.25"
Weight - .63 lbs.

This microphone is the jack of all trades microphone. I have put it on countless sound sources and it sounds pretty good on most of them. Of course there are usually better microphones for each individual source but for the price you cant beat the sm57. Even with much more expensive higher end microphones available, I still find myself using this on guitar amps and snare drums. It's also a great mic for live sound. Since it sounds good on almost any instrument having a bunch of these around is handy if you need to slap a mic on an instrument real quick but don't have time to test a bunch of different mics to see which sounds best. This mic works well on loud sources as well as quiet. And by loud I mean REALLY loud. Fully cranked guitar amps and John Bonham drummers won't make this clip (unless your preamps are total garbage).

I absolutely love this mic. I use it in almost every session I record. My go to is to use this mic on snare drums and pair it with a large diaphragm condenser and put it on guitar amps. But really you can mic anything on this and it will sound alright. Any studio should have at least a couple of 57s lying around for all purpose recording. For $100 you really can't beat the price. It isn't the clearest microphone (it's kind of dark) but it sounds good. I have compared it with much higher end microphones (Blue, Neumann, Rode, AT, etc) but still prefer it for some sound sources. I would buy one again in a heartbeat and I'm sure I will buy many more in my audio engineering career.
James...08/03/2011

James...'s review"The quintessential instrument mic"

Shure SM57
You know this mic. The dynamic SM57 Legendary for guitar and studio vocals. Almost everyone has used one at some time or another. Great both live and in the studio. People say these have 101 uses. What more can you say?

As a guitarist and producer I tend to know what I like and what I don't. Most people tend to favor these most for electric guitar. I personally am not the biggest fan of that application. It's picky about positioning for one thing, and really needs to find the sweet spot on the speaker. In the studio, this isn't a big issue, but I play live a lot and I've found the 57 is not the best live speaker mic for me. Most of the time it's one of those "good but no great" mics for me. It has a harsh sound with my rig through most systems. If it's all I have at the time, I will use it though no problem. Usually the best sounds can be found by tilting it off axis. Maybe it's just me, but the 57 seems to add it's own distortion to an already distorted sound. I don't really like that. To be fair, it still sounds better than all the other guitar mics in its price range.

Where this mic really shines for me is on a snare drum. It adds a certain pop to the EQ that no other mic has gotten me. 90% of the time whether it's live or in the studio, I use this mic on my drummer's snare. It's quick and easy. Just tilt it towards the center of the head and you're good to go. Sounds great.

I've used it for bass, vocals, and cymbals. It sounds alright for all of these. Nothing spectacular. But for the value, it's amazing. That's really what it comes down to. Compared to other mics at this price, it's phenomenal. I would highly recommend you get 1 or 2 if you have a budget studio. They are well worth the price.