Create an account

or

Thread [Getting started] Studio in a Backpack — Part 1

• 4 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 [Getting started] Studio in a Backpack — Part 1
Studio in a Backpack — Part 1
Did you ever dream of a totally mobile studio, a compact setup that can fit in a backpack? A rig that you can carry with you virtually anywhere, and record and produce music, even where there's no AC power? Now, thanks to the audio capabilities of the Apple iPad, that dream is both achievable and affordable.

Read the article

This thread was created automatically after the publishing of an article. Feel free to post your comments here!
Have an all hardware studio but only bought an iPad 2 last year *JUST* for Waldorf Nave Synth. Now, I have the Behringer iS202 iPad Dock that is actually very nice and like the battery capability or when A/C connected it charges iPad. I also prefer the Behringer iS202 because all the major volume/level controls are on left front panel.
I use a Keith McMillan Instruments QuNexus keyboard for its great expression that you just cannot get touching the iPad as far as after touch and modulation via movement of fingers. However, I do have a battery powered 25 full sized key Behringer U-Control MIDI keyboard that does not have after touch, but hate "mini keyboard keys" (the QuNexus is a whole different type of keyboard so different positive thoughts there), and I actually use the 4 track recorder that's built-into the Waldorf Nave App when going outside in nature, and then headphones, of course. I can then back home connect iS202 to play that audio into my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 or will use sounds to make samples from by dropping into Izotope IRIS and then format those samples for my Radikal Technologies Spectralis 1, which is a new instrument this year for me. Endless possibilities. I have bought AudioShare and other MIDI Apps for iPad but honestly, have not taken time to learn how that works. I will eventually, but I primarily work in audio and use Reaper DAW. Waldorf Nave is truly a proper synth and incredibly deep and reason I find myself only using it. I may in future look into a portable power pack like the Tekkeon stuff for iPad as well as using it to go outside and play the Elektron Analog Four but as it stands, the length of provided power from my iPad 2 is just fine for what I do. Oh...I can also connect a microphone to iS202 and record ambient sounds out and about into Nave's 4 track recorder THEN turn that recording into custom wavetables...pretty cool time to still be alive and kicking:-)
So, I actually treat Waldorf Nave and my iPad 2 inside the Behringer iS202 Dock as if it is a portable rack synth I can go everywhere with. I should note that the iS202 is the 30 Pin type and if I ever feel need to get newer iPad I will then possibly get the new Alesis iDock 2 but for now, the iPad 2 shows absolutely NO processor lag for such a deeply capable synth so being pragmatic, it just works for me.
Looking forward to the Part 2 of this article.

"Tune your ears to wisdom, and concentrate on understanding. Cry out for insight, and ask for understanding." Proverbs 2:2-3

[ Post last edited on 06/07/2014 at 12:14:21 ]

Hi namnibor,
Thanks for your detailed response! It sounds like you've got a nice working setup figured out.

Quote:
I may in future look into a portable power pack like the Tekkeon stuff for iPad as well as using it to go outside and play the Elektron Analog Four

I am also curious about what would be a good battery pack option. If you do end up getting one, please let us know how you like it.
BTW, here's a link for Part 2: https://en.audiofanzine.com/getting-started/editorial/articles/studio-in-a-backpack-part-2.html.
Good article but I would urge folks to avoid the Focusrite iTrack Solo as there's a technical issue with it when using it with iPads since the iOS 7 update. You'll find a thread about it on the Apple support forums (started by myself) but basically the issue comes into play when switching from instrument view to tracks view and attempting to play back the recording, a godawful distortion is heard. Attempts to fix this problem through either Apple or Focusrite have not been successful to date.
Hi Rick,

Thanks very much for pointing that out. Do you know if other users have had the same issue?