Alesis MasterControl
MJCJM MJCJM

«  ideal but limited! »

Published on 08/09/13 at 01:07
Characteristics have it all:
The MasterControl Acts as Controller Sound card Firewire 26 inputs and 6 outputs!
2 headphone outputs! motorized faders, knobs 360 °
It can be used stand alone!
I use it with all inputs and outputs (including ADAT and SPDIF)
Its connectivity is reliable and very strong this is a very good point for me!
6 jacks TRS inputs + 2 Combo XLR / Jack, 2 SPDIF input and ADAT inputs!
I have a first generation VAIO i5 with 8gb of ram and a mainstream hybrid DD!

MasterControl is my firmware 1.0.0.0, and I wonder now if another version is, I think here will remain a mystery.
The drivers are up to date and stable today!
This was not the case at all at its output when passed in 64bit windows, and it is this that caused the loss, Alesis past few years always a bit of a step behind it seems!
It's a shame because here works well (on Mac anyway)
If all the connections as SPDIF and ADAT works very honorably, fortunately.
The dynamic is really good, you really have to want to clip.
The ideal is that the machine has internal Dsp and can save the input presets (level faders and pan) and regardless of the software is that the motorized faders are also practical (they are passing rather silent)
So that the audio interface mode controller is independent (phew)

GETTING STARTED

The install is no problem you just need to get the latest drivers on the site!
The config is say, extremely simple! So in stand alone mode, no routing is possible, it's a shame, a channel assignment to the outputs would have been nice, too bad for the monitoring part is well designed!
(Obviously this is possible in your DAW)
It's not super compatible with my pc here is clear (random BSOD)
on the other hand I saw him turn in here and Mac air impeccable!
The manual is clear!

I use it recently and only in standalone (seen crashes on PC, you will see on the Mac)
What is really unfortunate is the lack of internal settings, it would have been nice to route regardless of the software and suddenly stand alone!
Pre-eq's were not luxury.
With the experience I would perhaps choose but not at this price.
(I got used to 550th) when I see the new prices in 2010 (£ 590)
If this interface it all and is still well designed, shame it lacks internal settings and it is not always very stable on pc!
helps out here, but I think it largely prefer a rack audio interface and a USB comm Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, because today at this price there's no picture!