Create an account

or

Thread Scarlett 2i2: Popping and device disconnecting

• 42 replies
  • 27 participants
  • 27 followers
1 Scarlett 2i2: Popping and device disconnecting
Hey,

This problem has been doing my head in for a year now and now that I work as a professional I just have to get this fixed:

System:

Windows 8.1 64bit,
Scarlett 2i2 (Drivers 3.1.10) with Behringer Truth monitors plugged

What happens is that I hear a loud pop from my speakers followed by my 1 & 2 input knob lights flashing. Also when this happens the device briefly disappears from my Windows audio devices menu for a short while. The problem is inconsistent and can happen 1-10 times in a minute, once in an hour or I can go a day without it happening.

Also 1 problem I'd appreciate if someone can answer: On Pro Tools 11 when I choose Scarlett to use ASIO4ALL drivers it crashes Pro Tools. What gives?

Cheers for any help!

EDIT: It's now clear that the Ethernet cable is the cause. However I don't know how to solve this

[ Post last edited on 01/28/2015 at 02:43:56 ]

Show first post
Hello people of focusrite...
Do you also have some advice for someone who has a focusrite 10i12 which disconnect after a spike in the net ?
Say a fridge turns on ...

The unit stresses after a loud plop..... In the softmixer all ledmeters start jumping up and down ... No sound from the interface even it is seen by the Mac and is selected as audio output

The sound come from the imac speakers.
I tried to help but I ran out of ideas...

The house is small so I also has little about of fuse groups
Switching to another group does not help...

Worth mentioning is that this isue started a few months ago.

I can't say if the unit is breaking down and becoming very sensitive or that the fridge is getting old ...
Or is it the Mac that has issues ..?

Any ideas? Perhaps you have come across something like this...?

Many thanx

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

[ Post last edited on 08/04/2020 at 09:00:13 ]

Hey.

I wrote a whole long story that I was about to post, unfortunately while checking if the issue was still persisting after installing the latest driver (without rebooting yet) the answer was a resounding yes as my Windows 10 bluescreened (first time I've seen a BSOD in about a decade) and my post yet to be posted was lost.

Quick story: I have the same issue as been described by OP and have had the same issue with 2 or 3 Focusrite 2i2's now that I've bought over the past 10 years.
The issue to me seems to be that the USB seems to be "loosening up" over time as if you just can't get the USB cable properly in there anymore (the device will either stay off or constantly turn off/on by the slightest touch or vibration), push the USB hard enough and keep it physically in there and the device will be stable (actually, eventually that won't be enough either, I remember trying this on one of the first devices and it would eventually no longer turn on anymore), but let go of the USB and the device will over time "run loose" as if the wire is loosening up.

The solution I found today after not having used my latest Scarlett for a few years is to actually only plug the USB half-way in on the Scarlett 2i2's side and just keep it that way.
My Scarlett has now been running smoothly for at least the past hour and I hope it just keeps going from now on.
Would love to hear if this worked or did not work for anyone else.

PS: After the BSOD the driver also got installed properly so there's no longer an issue showing in my Windows Device Manager for the Focusrite device.
However this doesn't seem to change anything for me as the Scarlett goes into a fragile state with the USB connected all the way so I'm just going to keep it half-way in and hope for the best.

[ Post last edited on 01/11/2021 at 08:43:02 ]

Quote from ace1234:
Same exact problem.

I also have a unique addition to this thread. While in a DAW either FL Studio or Ableton, sometimes while playing audio it just stops and all you hear is a very high pitched tone that is quite loud and you can't get rid of it by pressing the stop button in your DAW, you have to exit for it to end. It has to be a firmware or hardware glitch. It only happens on the Scarlett and not with any other product.

I have 8 gigs ram, 4.20 ghz Vishera CPU and 990FX Sabertooth Mobo.

Everything is quality in terms of my hardware.

What gives?

I believe Focusrite masks their poor products with customer support. I see them everywhere in all forums, but they give you generic bullsh*t responses like Microsoft does when you post in their forums. You've tried everything they say and it still doesnt work because they themselves have no clue how to fix their problem.

They just sell you the illusion that their products are great. When people have a constant reoccurring issue on multiple systems it's not the users fault! Fix your sh*t!

You - have a problem, tell focusrite
Focusrite - what? where? I don't see anything, turn your PC on and off, did you check the power cable, you must be an idiot since you didn't optimize your PC

Just a mask... a facade for quality when the actual problem lies deep down in focusrite's firmware/hardware

It makes sense that they play dumb when you say you've got a problem. They've got products to SELL.

Still it's a decent product if you are on a budget & they could not give a rat's @$$ if you happen to have a problem so I will give them that, but still glitchy as f*. What's worse, a company that ignores their customers problems entirely, selling a product as is, and doing it with open awareness, or a company that pretends to offer solutions solely for PR purposes, but don't actually end up solving anything?

In my mind they are nearly the same. One is actually worse because they mislead the customer into thinking that the problem actually lies with them and not the product.

Or maybe Focusrite is just too blind and naive to admit they've got a freaking problem and they're products don't match up to the quality they promise.

This is true. Lots of people have these issues, I suggest buy a different brand tbh