Create an account

or

Thread [Getting started] Insert Effects and Aux Effects

• 9 replies
  • 9 participants
  • 9 followers
1 [Getting started] Insert Effects and Aux Effects
Insert Effects and Aux Effects
To avoid connection errors, it's important to distinguish between insert and aux effects. Their operation is different, so their integration in the audio path is different too. That's why it's important to distinguish inserts from auxiliaries to process a signal.

Read the article

This thread was created automatically after the publishing of an article. Feel free to post your comments here!
I have to explain this many times a year to people, Its amazing how simple yet misunderstood it is. I will be sending the next person asking right here :bravo:
That was very clear and to the point, thank you!
Thanks! We aim to please :bravo:
Thanks for this useful information - it's becoming clearer....slowly
Regards GOG
Great info! I'm just getting started trying to learn the ins and outs of pro audio equipment, that helped a lot. Thank you!
Many thanks for your comments, I appreciate.
I just read this article and I must say, I really enjoyed it.

Quote:
That's why inserts are usually used for effects that change the waveform of the audio signal, like dynamic processors (gate/expander, compressor/limiter), saturation/distortion effects, bitcrushers, de-essers, filters (EQs, wah effects, etc.), audio restoration tools, and psycho-acoustic processors (harmonic generators, stereo width processors, etc.).

We've also mentioned that an aux adds an effect without actually changing the source signal, which makes them ideal for effects that are mixed with the original signal. We are talking about "acoustic generators" (reverb, delay, echo, etc.), pitch effects (harmonizer, octaver, pitch-shifter, etc.) and modulation effects (chorus, flanger, phaser, etc.).

A special remark: if you have the choice, use a post-fader aux so that the effect amount (ratio between effect signal and direct signal) stays the same, regardless of the fader position in the channel.

Very good information to have, right there...
Thanks. We're glad it was helpful.