Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
iamqman iamqman

« Everyone needs to try »

Published on 03/20/11 at 14:28
I think they hand these units out to when you start playing the electric guitar and guitar shops. They come standard with guitar purchases at Guitar Center. Maybe not but it sure seems like it though. I think everyone who has ever played the guitar at least that I know has either owed or has used this pedal at some point in their career. It simply is the most frequented pedal besides a DD2 on the planet. All kidding aside this is great unit for getting all kinds of delay effects to you guitar.

Layout as follows....
* Up to 23 seconds of delay
* 11 delay modes including classic tape delay and sound-on-sound recording
* New Smooth and Twist modes for subtle or radical delay effects
* Memory function for changing delay modes seamlessly
* New push-button knob for setting delay time in fine or coarse adjustments

It can be hooked up in stereo or used as looper or just classic echos tones. The different foot switches gives you a chance to choose from 4 different saved preset patches or use as the looper function or a tap tempo feature. The cool thing about this pedal is that you can use a external foot pedal to control modulation throughout the modes. The different modes are modeled off other Boss or classic delays boxes of the past. So it kind of is a simulator in that it is based off of different type delays.

You can use this in front of a clean amp or in the effects loop on your amp. Either way it doesn't change the tone of the unit. However, I have found that putting this is front of a clean amp but being pushed by an overdrive pedal makes this thing come alive.

I generally like to stay on a modulated delay when using these types of delays because it sounds like U2 with the chorus added in that mode. I also enjoy using the tape echo since it has a very usable vintage tape echo suitable for slap back echos repeats. The smooth mode gives a great reverb delay great for playing stuff without much delay coverage. The reverse delay is fun when one wants to get some crazy wacky delay sounds. Crank the level and feedback in this mode and you get a string or synth type character to your tone.

I use this with a Strat into a Vox AC30 and also a Marshall JCM2000. It compliments your guitar tone rather than confuse it with cloudy delay repeats. It to me is more of a subtle delay sound and doesn't push your sound rather than it just hangs back a bit giving you the room to play.

This thing I like most about it is that Boss made it. I like most things that Boss does since they really live up to abuse and torture that gigging can put on equipment. The next thing is that the price is around $230 which is a great price compared to a Timefactor by Eventide or a Empress delay. I'm know those pedals have a great sound, but I have found myself going back to economically priced gear gear. I love the way this thing sounds in the guitar chain. If I ever needed to replace my Timefactor I would look at getting this pedal again.

I recommend this to anyone who wants a fine delay unit with many sound options who is on a budget. There are better sounding ones out there but for the price it doesn't get any betters than this pedal.